Spent primer catcher

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Spent primer catcher

Post by Walt »

Anyone use this spent primer catcher?

A short while back I ordered a new RCBS Rockchucker Supreme press and it came with the most useless spent primer catcher. Without even depositing a primer into the trays, it was evident that any attempt to remove it from the press would result in spilling the used primers all over my bench.

I looked on Amazon and found this one marked "Battle Ready". It comes with a clear tube, a plastic plug at the end. I discarded the plug, cut a hole into an old die box and came up with a much better method of catching spent primers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Spent primer catcher

Post by marlinman93 »

I just got a new Supreme press also, but I haven't used a press to deprime shells in a decade or more. I use a Pope style decapper tool to deprime and reprime my cases so I can pop them all out prior to cleaning cases. I didn't even put the primer catcher on my new press.

Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Some beautiful machinery you have there, Marlinman.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I did something similar for my Dillon 550 but it consists of 2" pvc pipe and as I produce a loaded round the cartridge falls off the press through the pipe to a container on the floor.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Walt wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:01 pm Some beautiful machinery you have there, Marlinman.
Thanks! Jerry built this re-de-capper tool for me and modified his uncle Charlie Pool's design to adapt it to do every cartridge I load for by simply changing shell holders, putting sleeves over the decapping rods, or swapping priming rods. I figured out I can do about 15-16 different cartridges depriming or repriming.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

GunnyMack, I have 2 Dillon 550 presses and an aggravation was that about a third of my expended primers would bounce off the frames of the presses, completely missing the catcher container and falling on the floor. I solved that by riveting a piece of sheet metal to the inside of each primer catcher after putting a bend in them that effectively sealed the spaces through which the spent primers escaped.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yup, I have had that issue as well, good idea with the sheet metal, I'll file that away with you flattening the decal pin!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

On the 550 Dillon, replace that soft cotter pin in the "folding funnel"w/a steel paper clip straightened out, trimmer to a ½" too long, then bent in an opposing 90º with enough slack to allow the "funnel" to open & close freely. I'd guess 99.9% off my spent primers make into the cup... up until I forget to empty it & they start bouncing out!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I have occasionally had trouble with the "folding funnel" failing to open as well, dumping primers on the press and on the floor. I'll have to remedy that. Good information.

Thanks, Griff
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

For the Rock Chucker RCBS press you can make the primers go into the tray instead of bouncing out and hitting the press by inserting a piece of a plastic drinking straw into the slot in the ram that the primers fall down. This keeps them in line until they get to the bottom and are diverted into the catcher.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

JimT wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:07 am For the Rock Chucker RCBS press you can make the primers go into the tray instead of bouncing out and hitting the press by inserting a piece of a plastic drinking straw into the slot in the ram that the primers fall down. This keeps them in line until they get to the bottom and are diverted into the catcher.
But Jim plastic drinking straws have been outlawed :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:22 am
JimT wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:07 am For the Rock Chucker RCBS press you can make the primers go into the tray instead of bouncing out and hitting the press by inserting a piece of a plastic drinking straw into the slot in the ram that the primers fall down. This keeps them in line until they get to the bottom and are diverted into the catcher.
Not in our house. :D
no.JPG
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:22 am
JimT wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:07 amFor the Rock Chucker RCBS press you can make the primers go into the tray instead of bouncing out and hitting the press by inserting a piece of a plastic drinking straw into the slot in the ram that the primers fall down. This keeps them in line until they get to the bottom and are diverted into the catcher.
Not in the real USA, only in those fake States, like CA.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!