. 45 Cowboy Special Brass

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

. 45 Cowboy Special Brass

Post by 2ndovc »

Starline has it back in stock on their website as of 12:00 pm today. I bought a small bag, thought some of you may need some.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: . 45 Cowboy Special Brass

Post by Griff »

Thank you, I've still got a couple 1K bags unopened.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

2ndovc wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:07 pm Starline has it back in stock on their website as of 12:00 pm today. I bought a small bag, thought some of you may need some.

jb 8)
My box arrived Tuesday. But I had it on order since 9 February! :shock:
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Wow!

I'm still waiting for some .455 Webley. I have enough to keep my S&Ws shooting, but would like another couple hundred in the bin.

jb 8)

Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

Got mine in.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

OK, been holding back here. My two best friends load this 45 "Cowboy Special" thingy, just as we are getting over yet another dose of the whole "45 (Long) Colt" fiasco. So first off, you guys should publicly know that Griff's SASS number goes back to the Jurassic period and not many people know that except within SASS. I think they found some specimens of Griff's boots dating back to about 146 million years ago! :P

But that does give him some bonified credibility in things Cowboy Action Shooting! :D

Now Jason will shoot anyone, with any cartridge, in any gun you can imagine, as long as he likes the firearm. The man is a mercenary and has no principals at all! :lol: :lol:

So all that being said, this "Cowboy Special" thingy is just embarrassing. It's a "super short Colt" under another name! Its shorter than a 45 Schofield by light years, imagine you put your 45 Schofield in the "Honey, I shrunk the Kid's" Machine! Is this what you get?

So now all the "beef" about a "Long Colt" when you have had this "super shorty 45 Schofield-Colt" operating in the wings for years now????

I object! :D :lol:

So will someone like Griff, the "Ancient One" please enlighten me on this cartridge that exudes "shortness" of the 45 (Long) Colt now that you have shortened it to the 9th degree and call it something else.

So you say a "short" and "long" Colt may have never existed, then you re-invent it, and call it something else.

Hmmmmm.

Griff, all funning aside, will this cartridge even shoot in a 45 Colt Levergun WITHOUT modification???

Me no habby You Toobey channel. Inquiring Toobey's want to know. :D

-Tutt

-A-
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Andirondak Jack (r.i.p) once wrote of his invention .....

"When the Cowboy .45 Special was introduced, there were many "in the know" who said it
would never get past the first run of 50,000 cases. We sold over half a million of em.

When for two years we tried to get the best minds in the CAS community to make a carrier
that would run the C45S in a winchester '66 or '73 clone, it was deemed impossible.
Frustrated, we answered, "impossible? We're Americans. The impossible is what we do."
A fine gunsmith and engineer was convinced to produce a design drawn up by Adirondack
Jack. It was a running prototype in 5 hours, and the design frozen for production in less
than a week. We've sold hundreds of the "Cowboy Carriers" since."
m.A.g.a. !
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

CowboyTutt wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:28 am
Now Jason will shoot anyone, with any cartridge, in any gun you can imagine, as long as he likes the firearm. The man is a mercenary and has no principals at all! :lol: :lol:

-Tutt

-A-
I can live with that. I know I'm a pirate, just born in the wrong century. :)

About my fascination with cartridges like this and the revolvers that go with them.
I've always been a big fan of the .45 Auto Rim. This started when I was a kid and found 100 rounds or so in my grandfather's reloading stuff. Asked my dad what it was and did he have anything that would shoot it. He didn't at the time and that started my quest for a Colt or S&W 1917. That old Smith fascinated me and still love to shoot it.
From then on, any multi cartridge revolver interested me. The Old army I bought is a perfect example. With a couple of extra cylinders, I can shoot at least four different calibers. A perfect companion for the Zombie Apocalypse! :D
I've picked up a couple more revolvers recently that most people would put in the "WT_?" category, but that's just me.
Rarely am I interested in the "New and Improved" that comes out every year. Never got into the .300 Ultrasaurus Short or it's offspring. The 6.5 FlavorOfTheWeek rounds bore me, but the .450 Bushmaster caught my attention because of it's use of .452 bullets and as a short range bear blaster. Gotta keep the ADD busy.

jb 8)

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Tutt, I'm like Jason on this one. Wanted them "just because". I have plenty of .45 Colt revolvers to try them in. Don't really plan on altering any leverguns. No need. :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The C45S (Cowboy 45 Special), is basically an 45Auto length case with a 45 Colt rim. In answer to your question, I'll state a qualified "maybe!" My Rossi 1892 Short Rifle will feed it singly thru the loading gate. However, to load more than one, you need a "push" stick to shove any but the last cartridge up past the cartridge stop in the front of the action. Otherwise you end up with a cartridge "and some" on the carrier and it won't rise. I must admit, I haven't actually done more than just pushing one in the loading gate to see that the carrier & bolt will feed the cartridge, but... I have to push the last cartridge I load in my modified 1873 past the spring loaded cartridge stop on the Cowboy Special carrier in my '73, so I'm saying the same will be true of the 1892. The 1860 just needs the modified carrier, no other changes are necessary. Of the 3 toggle links I own, the factory ramps on the front of the carrier varied in length. All are 45 Colt, yet were made during different productions runs. My '73 Sporting Rifle was in the 1st 5 45 Colt Uberti rifles shipped to the US in 1986, & it has the longest ramp, and will feed the shortest rounds of all 3 with the stock carrier, even to the point of cycling 45 Schofields. The 1860 is a 2008 production rifle and has a much shorter ramp, I need to have a longer nose to ensure the second cartridge is pushed back into the magazine when the carrier is raised. The 3rd rifle is a 2014 production and has sort of the middle of the road length ramp, closer to the Henry than to the other '73. It will feed 5 Colt length brass with short nose bullets. It'll work in any revolver chamber in 45 Colt without modification, but... just like with shooting .38Specials in a revolver with a .357 Magnum chamber, you need to clean it up real good before going to the longer cartridge. I've got 3 leverguns that I've modified to use the C34S, a Marlin 1894 with a "Cowboy" barrel cut down to 17" and a modified carrier, and two Uberti toggle links with the Cowboy Special carrier, an 1860 Henry and an 1873 Short Rifle. I have another Uberti 1860 on order... a special order Short Carbine length (18-½" bbl) to go to a cowboy gunsmith to be slicked up and the C45S carrier to become my main competition rifle. It'll be mated up with by slicked up Colt 2nd Gen 1851s and an 1878 TTN coach gun for the "Frontiersman" category.

BTW Tutt, I've only been shooting in cowboy action since 1985, much shorter than some of my friends. And since being schooled by JimT about the 45 Colt Govt, I don't deny there USED to be a short 45 Colt. But, since it's been out of production for longer than the vast majority us of have been alive, I doubt there's any in the supply chain anywhere! And as I recall, Jack was adamant that it was called something distinctly different than "45 Short Colt"!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

I have a seldom fired S&W 25-2 in 45 acp. At least , seldom fired when I got it. AR brass drags on the recoil shield a bit and 45 acp brass is a pain to pry out of the cylinder, so I tried the Cowboy special brass and loaded it just like a 45 AR. Worked great being 45 acp in length. Takes a bit more pressure on the press handle to size it in the 45 acp die the first time, but fine after that
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Good information Gents, thank you. I had no idea about this cartridge although I may have heard of it at one time and forgotten about it as CAS is not really for me. I do appreciate how it adheres to tradition for the most part and I think that is culturally important. Versatility in a hand gun or rifle is also something I understand and I why I favor .452 cartridges in different lengths like my 460 Magnum that will shoot 45 Colt, 454 Casull, 460 Magnum, and I guess it would probably shoot the Cowboy special too now that I think about it.

The 45 Colt is not a screamer by any means even in a rifle, so I don't see much need for it but if it helps in the sport of CAS certainly no harm in it.

I need to see if its in Quick Load or if not, put in some custom data to see what I could get. I can probably find the case length on the web, does anyone want to take a fired case and measure the capacity in water for me? Just measure the case weight, zero the scale with the case on it, add water to a level meniscus and tap it a few times to remove air bubbles, top it off with water if necessary and weigh it again. The difference in weight is the capacity in water.

If you want me to target a certain velocity, give me an idea and I can also set that in as a parameter.

I can crunch some numbers then with some pre-loaded .452 bullets pretty easily I think and report back. I'm curious, I have to say.

Thanks for educating me guys.

Griff, I seem to remember that your SASS number was in the 100 plus range? But that was many years ago, I could be way off (very detailed and thoughtful post by the way!) 8)

-Tutt
Last edited by CowboyTutt on Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:58 pm Don't really plan on altering any leverguns. No need. :D
This literally woke me up at 3:30am this morning. It bounced into my head and wouldn't let go.

Would the .45 Cowboy be akin to the .44 Henry in a 1860 Henry? By this I mean, a less powerful round than the 1873 carried (the .44 WCF was a significant improvement over the .44 Henry), but more capacity due to the shorter OAL of the cartridge.

If that is the case, then I may indeed get a new lifter for my Uberti 1860 Henry reproduction. That would be NEAT! 8)

Griff, thoughts? Sounds like you have actually done this! :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

CowboyTutt wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:48 pmGriff, I seem to remember that your SASS number was in the 100 plus range? But that was many years ago, I could be way off (very detailed and thoughtful post by the way!) 8)
-Tutt
93, and thank you.
Ysabel Kid wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:30 pm
Ysabel Kid wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:58 pmDon't really plan on altering any leverguns. No need. :D
This literally woke me up at 3:30am this morning. It bounced into my head and wouldn't let go.
Would the .45 Cowboy be akin to the .44 Henry in a 1860 Henry? By this I mean, a less powerful round than the 1873 carried (the .44 WCF was a significant improvement over the .44 Henry), but more capacity due to the shorter OAL of the cartridge.
If that is the case, then I may indeed get a new lifter for my Uberti 1860 Henry reproduction. That would be NEAT! 8)
Kid, yes, I have; with the C45S I can get 18 or 19 rounds in the 1860 depending on bullet weight, & nose shape. And I don't believe that you must give up any performance.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:30 pmThis literally woke me up at 3:30am this morning. It bounced into my head and wouldn't let go.
I know just how that is... on another forum they're talking about felt recoil differences between a 45ACP with a 200 grain bullet vs a 230 grain. One poster postulated that it was a simple math exercise... and for the past two days I've been wrestling with this concept... and to a slight disagree with this, as his formula to express kinetic energy doesn't factor in time. He hypothesis' that the 230 grain bullet will have less felt recoil than the 200 grain bullet when both are loaded to a specific power factor (mass x velocity / 1000 = power factor). The basis for his conclusion is that it takes less velocity too make the power factor with the heavier projectile. I don't disagree with that aspect, but translating that directly in felt recoil with factoring time of action negates part of the conclusion. I.e.: the heavier, slower bullet spends more time in the barrel, acting upon reaction of the firing of the cartridge. The faster, lighter bullet spends less time in the barrel, ergo less impact on recoil. Neither of which could actually be measured in a practical setting, but in theory...? that same difference of "time in barrel" is used to explain why a heavier bullet impacts higher than a lighter bullet, so why not account for this in felt recoil? I doubt this is an original thought, but I've not read of anywhere/one that has considered this.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Griff wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:38 pm
Ysabel Kid wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:30 pm
Ysabel Kid wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:58 pmDon't really plan on altering any leverguns. No need. :D
Kid, yes, I have; with the C45S I can get 18 or 19 rounds in the 1860 depending on bullet weight, & nose shape. And I don't believe that you must give up any performance.
Oh, I need a lifter like that! Where can I find one? I want to turn it into the "darn Yankee rifle you load on Sunday and shoot all week"! :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Griff wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:03 pm
Ysabel Kid wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:30 pmThis literally woke me up at 3:30am this morning. It bounced into my head and wouldn't let go.
I know just how that is... on another forum they're talking about felt recoil differences between a 45ACP with a 200 grain bullet vs a 230 grain. One poster postulated that it was a simple math exercise... and for the past two days I've been wrestling with this concept... and to a slight disagree with this, as his formula to express kinetic energy doesn't factor in time. He hypothesis' that the 230 grain bullet will have less felt recoil than the 200 grain bullet when both are loaded to a specific power factor (mass x velocity / 1000 = power factor). The basis for his conclusion is that it takes less velocity too make the power factor with the heavier projectile. I don't disagree with that aspect, but translating that directly in felt recoil with factoring time of action negates part of the conclusion. I.e.: the heavier, slower bullet spends more time in the barrel, acting upon reaction of the firing of the cartridge. The faster, lighter bullet spends less time in the barrel, ergo less impact on recoil. Neither of which could actually be measured in a practical setting, but in theory...? that same difference of "time in barrel" is used to explain why a heavier bullet impacts higher than a lighter bullet, so why not account for this in felt recoil? I doubt this is an original thought, but I've not read of anywhere/one that has considered this.
Griff, I think you logic is infallible here.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:46 pm
Griff wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:03 pm
Griff, I think you logic is infallible here.
I need a Tylenol, just from reading that! :shock:

:D

jb 8)

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:45 pmOh, I need a lifter like that! Where can I find one? I want to turn it into the "darn Yankee rifle you load on Sunday and shoot all week"! :D
https://onlineoutpost.net/pages/cowboy- ... al-carrier.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I didn't read the linked thread but don't most recoil calculators take "time" into consideration already? For example, this one, which isn't particularly special has the usual foot lbs of energy of the recoil, the recoil velocity as measured in feet per second, and this one also has "recoil impulse" which is interesting.

https://shooterscalculator.com/recoil-calculator.php

-Tutt

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Griff wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:38 pm
Ysabel Kid wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:45 pmOh, I need a lifter like that! Where can I find one? I want to turn it into the "darn Yankee rifle you load on Sunday and shoot all week"! :D
Thanks Griff!!! :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

CowboyTutt wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:05 pmI didn't read the linked thread but don't most recoil calculators take "time" into consideration already? For example, this one, which isn't particularly special has the usual foot lbs of energy of the recoil, the recoil velocity as measured in feet per second, and this one also has "recoil impulse" which is interesting.
https://shooterscalculator.com/recoil-calculator.php
-Tutt
Ah... but while a measurement of movement over time, couldn't "fps" can last for different lengths of time depending on burn rate of powder? We're talking about milliseconds here. I admit that I'm just spit-balllin' here...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Good ideas start with "spit balling" and thinking! I did have some time for myself tonight, and crunched numbers in Quick Load for two cartridges for you to compare the pressure curve and how it might affect "perceived recoil". The first is a 454 Casull, about 62K PSI plus change, 20 inch barrel, with Lil'Gun. The second post is a close approximation of my 375 H&H Ackley, 0.20 inches longer, with a 390 grain Hornady A-Tip, 20 inch barrel, PSI also about 62 K plus change.

I think most everyone here knows just how violent the Casull cartridge is, and how it has destroyed some proto-type rifles and handguns in its development. The 375 H&H is well known and requires a much slower burning powder to begin with in a rifle, but even slower with my much heavier bullet and larger case capacity (RL 26). Pay attention to two things, the shape of the pressure curve, and the dwell time in milliseconds in the barrel (bottom left and bottom right fields respectively).
image (14).png
image (15).png
The difference in milliseconds is infinitesimal and I don't think someone could feel that.

That being said, I would wholly agree, that my 375 AI feels like a "big push" and for another comparison, a 300 Win Mag, has a far more sharp and abrupt recoil.

I confess, I am not sure what is going on here regarding perceived recoil. Maybe what we are feeling is not just the powder burn rate, maybe its the lag time to accelerate a heavier bullet as large objects accelerate slower. That also applies to the weight of the rifle itself (large objects accelerate slower).

I may have to do this over with a 300 grain bullet in the 375 and see what I get with a faster burning powder typically used in the 375.

Throwing spit balls Old Friend! -Andy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Ran it again with a 300 grain Woodleigh RN SP HD bullet (round nose, soft point, heavy duty I think) just for comparison purposes with RL 26 in the same 20" barrel. I was surprised on the data. Barrel time in MS was not much different. My Puma is extra heavy with its merc tube by Model '92 standards. My CZ is heavier still but it has a 25 inch barrel. I don't think what we are feeling is burn rate, we are feeling something else. I don't think a human acting like a recoil absorber could feel much difference in barrel time. As a side note, when I changed the barrel length to 25 inches as my CZ actually has, I just about fell out of my chair. I have more work to do. Anyone got some RL 26 they want to sell???? Or a lead? Not kidding. -Tutt
image (17).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Wow.....the very definition of THREAD DRIFT !.

Despite being just a pup at 55, I've been reloading since the summer of '77 when the forsythe kid found that very freckled model 10 .38 hidden amongst a pile of "gallery" glossies in a plastic garbage bag in a vacant woodlot at skyline drive and 41st street. He "borrowed" some cartridges from his dad and I reloaded them with improvised implements. My grandfather bought me a george nonte book on the subject. Pop's wood shop provided the tools. Decapping with a nailset against a wood block. Recapping with a dowel and same block. 1/4 lb. blocks of canning paraffin provided the bullets. Neighborhood gatos provided the sport. Of course the primers backed-out somewhat. The flash holes were drilled-out as per maj. nonte's instructions with pop's drill press.

By 1979 sam walton's innovation had opened a location in our city and had both reloading and muzzleloading displays in sporting goods. .350" balls were too small and .375" too large but both worked after a fashion. Buying a pound of greendot made me feel seven foot tall and four foot wide. A spent .22 short case was too small a charger/measure and a long rifle case seem too hot after we had been using primer only wax bullets. The fact that we had drilled out the flash holes did not deter the use of such meagre loads.

Long story short.....I've been handloading/reloading for a ginger tabby fur follicle over 45 years and I don't have the foggiest idea exactly what you all are talking about.

"The 45 Colt is not a screamer by any means even in a rifle, so I don't see much need for it but if it helps in the sport of CAS certainly no harm in it."

Huh ! ?

However, I understand the o.p. and am glad the cowboy specials are available and grateful that he gave us a notice.
m.A.g.a. !
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Ray, we are the same age within a year. I always enjoy your posts. I think you are quoting me out of context here, so I mean to correct that as I'm still up for some reason. I guess others were not available for a phone call LOL! (Its like 1:20 am here Pacific Time)

So, as to my original post, newly edited just now:
The 45 Colt is not a screamer in velocity by any means even in a rifle, so I don't see much need for the Cowboy Special, but if it helps in the sport of CAS certainly no harm in it.
"It" was referring to this 45 Cowboy Special thingy. The 45 Colt is not a screamer in velocity but if this 45 Cowboy Special helps you in your sport, then more power to it.

As to not understanding things, naw!!! You can understand it just fine. I talk to McPherson or others often, and their brains are far bigger than mine, for sure and for certain.

That being said, as I'm a semi-retired school psychologist, I tell Mic that "I CAN do what you do, it just takes me longer!!!! LOL" (I may be being optimistic here, but I think I truly can, and you too!) And that is truly how I perceive it.

I hang out with people much, much "smarter" than me, I have most of my life. All of my friends are engineers or something. Being that studying IQ is what I do (or did) for a living, I will tell you that IQ is highly over-rated, and what matters is the drive to understand. The Japanese word "Sensei" really translates as not "teacher" but "He who is further down the path", and I really and truly think that is what these discussions are about. It's about "experience" and not IQ. It's about "acquired" knowledge. IQ only helps you to understand it faster. Acquired knowledge is what you choose to study and lock it away in long term memory. Then pass it on while you can. I choose to study this stuff. If you have time, you should too. It will all make sense shortly and you can explain it to the rest of us.

I'm grateful for the comradery here. You make this place a better one. I wasn't clear, that is for sure.

You keep posting Bro, thank you kindly. Hey Pauly (Ambracol), where's the "thumbs up" fancy thingy? I want one.

Regards,

-Tutt

P.S. Yes, I know, more thread drift. My bad! Just saying in the context of what was happening here.

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Honestly, I think all the interest and conversation after a fairly benign post is quite interesting. Admittedly, a lot of the techno/ mathematical stuff escapes me, but like Andy alluded to, there's different types of intelligence.

Anyway,
Drift away, Boys! It's entertaining, at least.

By the way, the brass is still showing that it's still in stock. :D

jb 8)

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The 45 Colt was a black powder cartridge. No need for all that capacity to push 255 gr 800-1000 fps.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Thanks for the graphs Andy. Sure helps visualize the time/distance ratio... er relationship. It helps to see how the pressure falls off on the after side of the pressure spike. This is probably what I'm referring to as "time" in which one feels recoil. It's not all about the initial ramp to maximum pressure. I would very much like to see that difference visually as related to a 230 grain 45 Auto @ 652 fps vs the 200 grain 45 Auto @ 750 fps.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

smaller quantity bags at grafs for those interested....they sell out quickly.....

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/pr ... ctId/76283

Case in point, brownells had them in stock yesterday. Out of stock today.

Ain't they cool looking ? Then again the modern centerfire version of the old spencer rimfire is almost cute.....

https://www.starlinebrass.com/56-50-spe ... lors-brass

Again, in-stock but for how long ?
m.A.g.a. !
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Thanks Guys, I was loath to return here before just now, days later, and be an outcast for sure. I meant to return earlier to delete my posts but life got in the way. Mom and chemical EKG's and stuff. She historically had not done well with them, and one of them had to be aborted entirely. She seems to have done much better this time, but we will have the results tomorrow. I live here now, I have no shame in that, to care for my Mom in her declining years. I meant no disrespect to any of my many friends here. I don't think I have any enemies here that I am aware of. I humbly get up every day and go about what I have to do to protect my family as all of you do.

From time to time, I get more sophisticated information that comes my way, times 15 to 18 years of it.

Quick Load is the video game for hand loaders!

Its like candy. Its like CAD is for cars and other engineering companies.

I am no expert in things handloading at all. None of that applies to me. I have what is called "splinter skills" by a former Special Education Specialist. What she discovered what that her students who have autism, had mostly deficits, but they really shined in other areas. I think that description applies to me!

I'll start a new thread about "perceived recoil" later.

I did not mean to hijack the thread and meant no disrespect.

I guess "go big or go home LOL". Thanks for your forbearance, I will report back soon.

I was quite worried. Thanks for giving me a chance to explain myself in advance. Thank you all.

-Andy or Tutt
Last edited by CowboyTutt on Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Now, I could see a lot of potential uses for this cartridge depending on pressure level. But if you had a rifle that can handle 30 K PSI, it could really rock things for the amounts of ammo it could hold that still had some real stopping power! -Tutt

Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

To the o.p., that great erie navigator, and to mister tuttle and perhaps mister griffin tambien, I offer my humblest apologies for any and all misdemeanors..... real or perceived as such.
m.A.g.a. !
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Guys,
I don't see anything in this thread other than a good conversation. My o.p. had two purposes, let those that may want some brass that it was available. Second, that and things must be getting better in the ammo/ component world that a company like Starline would put effort into a component that is pretty far down the food chain compared to cases that are/ have been in more demand. We're still not back to DJT era days, and most likely most of the ammo companies are experiencing what the rest of the country is, a lack of capable employees that will show up for work every day. As well as getting the raw materials in to make what we want. Starline had a "help wanted" sign on their site for months that's only recently been taken down.

As far as the .45 CS goes, I just think it's something fun to experiment with. I don't have any plans ( or time) to compete in any matches, even if I could find one, or convert my '73. Just something to fool with, and in all actuality, my .45 Colt revolvers all shoot better with hotter loads. :shock:

Now y'all get along, I've got Pirate stuff to do. :D

jb 8)

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:09 pm
Griff wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:38 pm
Thanks Griff!!! :D
Ordered one!!! :D :D :D
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Just got back here tonight on Christmas Eve after a wonderful time with my Mom and Sister. Getting over a regular cold, not COVID. Kept me down a few days.

Thank you guys! Christ is Born! -Tutt

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

CowboyTutt wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:21 am Thank you guys! Christ is Born! -Tutt
Yes indeed! The real reason for the season!!!

Happy to hear it wasn't COVID Andy!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

"...Griff, all funning aside, will this cartridge even shoot in a 45 Colt Levergun WITHOUT modification...?"

I was gonna ask that myself....

Then I see it got answered and then some....

Pretty cool thread.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

AJMD429 wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:52 pm .
"...Griff, all funning aside, will this cartridge even shoot in a 45 Colt Levergun WITHOUT modification...?"

I was gonna ask that myself....

Then I see it got answered and then some....

Pretty cool thread.
I thought so too. Some good info and I'm thinking I may need to order one of those lifters. :D

jb 8)