Living through WINTER...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Living through WINTER...

Post by AJMD429 »

First, it’s nice to see my winter friend Orion in the sky now, but another observation related to that is that when you look at the Moon on a night like tonight when it's half illuminated by the Sun it makes you realize how powerful the sun has to be nearly 100 million miles away to make part of the Moon shine super bright like that when otherwise it would be an invisible black spot in a black sky.

Then my other thought...on a cold winter night like tonight, think how dependent we became on electricity in just a couple generations. 100 years ago when my parents were kids, only people in the city had electricity and if you lived in a rural area eventually by the time they were college-age the houses were getting electricity, but there were lots of people who hesitated - saying it seemed like it would be something people could get addicted to and dependent on. Lots of people therefore insisted on just using it for a luxury item like having a light outside for trips to the outhouse or later on a radio or even a television, and of course some businesses immediately adopted it to stay competitive, but the idea of households depending on it for refrigeration and heating and cooking was considered a bit unnecessary and perhaps even risky.

The skeptics were right, because we are so dependent on electricity, especially this time of year and the northern part of the country, that if it we’re not available the majority of people would be dead in a short amount of time. Even the people who have some kind of petroleum heat would have trouble because without the electric grid to supply the computers and delivery systems that would soon be down as well. A mere hundred years ago people lived through weather like this with houses that were much more poorly insulated, and did just fine.

Now we are having the same issue with Internet, where it has gone from being a luxury play toy or something that a few businesses depended on (like electricity was in my parent’s generation) to something nearly everyone depends on nearly every day.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Living through WINTER...

Post by gamekeeper »

Everyone wants to flick a switch or press a button rather than swing an axe or strike a match these days and now you don't even have to press a button as voice commands are all that's required, since SatNav how many folks have forgotten how to read a map ? We are all guilty of finding the easy way over the old fashioned tried and tested way.
It will come as a great shock to some when the easy way no longer exists, I just hope that a lot of us older ones will be able to cope a little better.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

The scary part of all this is today people ( city folks) don't have the ability to use an axe, or an outhouse! Without the ability to check their status while getting their morning latte at starpukes the world will end!
Sure being able to flip a switch to read a gun magazine while using the indoor outhouse is a wonderful thing, if it came down to it I think the majority of ' us ' here can not only survive but thrive!
Heck, hurricane Sandy put me in the dark for 2 weeks. I have a generator and yer darn right I used it but if push came to shove I can live without it... Biggest concern is frozen food- time to build a smoke house!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

My Amish neighbors will have the last laugh for sure.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Every day i`m thinking of what i can do to get ready for it. :wink:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

We could survive here without electricity but for one thing , having power for the sump pump in the basement........ I would have to change My Coal furnace out for a big circulator one that requires no power for a blower motor. put a hand pump on the well (a lot of work to get water) . kerosene lamps We have already , would have to put a wood/coal kitchen range in the kitchen. have to buy ice every week for the Ice box. Want a totally upset of women.. use a real cook stove.
The outhouse is again a way of life. want to See this all in use...thirty miles south of Me is Middlefield Ohio , a Huge Amish settlement , it's all there every day.
And nobody around have more solar panels on the roof than they do......Smart People....! :D .
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Yea darn it. It's tough during winter. I might even have to put on a sweater. Poke all the fun you want at SoCal, but come winter when many of you are shoveling snow, slipping on ice and freezing your tails off I'll just hang out at the beach.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

jeepnik wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:43 pmYea darn it. It's tough during winter. I might even have to put on a sweater. Poke all the fun you want at SoCal, but come winter when many of you are shoveling snow, slipping on ice and freezing your tails off I'll just hang out at the beach.
I won't poke fun, but the politicians of that state give all the rest a real bad example. People of groups like the Sierra Club, GreenPeace are NOT good neighbors, nor good shepherds of the environment. I grew up along the beaches of Orange County, but Dad was a reformed hillbilly from the hills of East Tennessee and we all learned exactly what life was like back when he grew up, the son of a tobacco share cropper. Every other year we went back to visit aunts & uncles that still lived that life. Even had a large garden at home... but I recognize that I now hate gardening. But, if push comes to shove, I know how and will again. Just like, while I have an axe & maul and have used them more than a splitter, I much prefer my chainsaw and splitter.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I lived through many winters ... cutting, hauling and splitting firewood starting as a young teenager. Finally got tired of winters ... calves being born in the middle of an ice storm .. freezeless waters freezing and busting ... cutting, hauling and splitting firewood .. and moved to Mozambique. Six years of no winter! It was almost like heaven. Now I am in Texas where it can be 81 on one day and the next it struggles to reach 35. And I am cutting, hauling and splitting firewood. BUT .. I am happy to be alive!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I'm leaving behind my chainsaw and axes and saying goodbye to my wood burning stove as I'm moving on the 5th to an all electric apartment but I have oil lamps and a Kelly Kettle plus camping gear. It was not my choice to move and I didn't have time to find a better place to move to regarding power cuts etc. I will be without WiFi for a few days too... :(
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

And I am cutting, hauling and splitting firewood. BUT .. I am happy to be alive!
THIS!!! :lol:

-Stretch
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My propane free-standing stove does not require the grid to run. It has a pilot light (remember those?) and a valve that runs on micro voltage generated by the pilot light. I do have to switch out 3 AAAs and 4 AAs about once a year for the thermostat should I care to use it. A little one burner Coleman and a Coleman lantern (I keep about 25 of those little green bottles on hand) rounds out the system. I also have a bunch of cured rounds out back I can split to use in a small Weber Kettle if need be...outside of course.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

An analysis of 'what if' (probably should be 'when') the grid goes down.

https://youtu.be/_OpC4fH3mEk

Lots of futuristic novels on the topic as well.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/492 ... cond-after

Tribal societies in remote areas would be the likeliest to survive long-term.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Reminds me of how a young aspiring congressman named Lyndon Johnson built his political machine -- by convincing Franklin Roosevelt's Rural Electrification Administration to ease its rules, bringing electricity to the Texas Hill Country.
https://texashistoricalmarkers.weebly.c ... ation.html

GK: Had to look up Kelly Kettle. I think I need the Scout model. Thanks for mentioning it. 8)
Woodsloafer2
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodsloafer2 »

Built my house at the end of an old town road that had and still does not have any power. In the beginning had to walk in during mud season. Luckily the town never discontinued the road so they do plow it in the winter, We are a mile in so I did everything solar electric back in 1996 before most people knew what it was. Did not do it to be green. It was just the best option over paying for a powerline a mile long. Propane stove, water heater and heat with wood. I am very glad to have been somewhat forced to do it this way.....
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

This is frighteningly easy for any terrorist to do...

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/12/04/us/p ... index.html

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2022/1 ... ut-power/

... North Carolina has a bunch of people out of power because of vandalized electric substations... :|
Last edited by AJMD429 on Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Facts are, thankfully, most terrorists are stupid. Just about any industrialized area has enough hydrocarbon and chemical storage to create a major loss of life. And if you think these places have anything near adequate security I want some of what you are smoking. Except for Bhopal in the 80's there really hasn't been a significant terrorist attack on a chemical facility. Yea, I know the official story is it was an accident or disgruntled employee. But if you know how these plants work yoou can see right through that bull pucky.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:04 pm .

... North Carolina has a bunch of people out of power because of vandalized electric substations... :|
One idiot shooting the insulator on a HiLine can take out a huge swath of the grid. :evil:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Blaine wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:11 pm
AJMD429 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:04 pm .

One idiot shooting the insulator on a HiLine can take out a huge swath of the grid. :evil:
A friend of mine who was a lineman for a utility company said there's some parts in those transformer stations that are not even made in the U.S. (due to environmental regulations I think), and that they are expensive enough they don't keep 'spares' because they seldom break. But even back in the pre-9/11 days when we were discussing the calamity an EMP could cause if a terrorist did that, he commented that anyone with much inside knowledge of 'the grid' could mess things up almost as badly. That's pretty scary.

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I thought this was common knowledge . . . . . a nuke explosion from high altitude can destroy most of the grid and everything else that has chip technology. I presume that when someone decides to neutralize America, that's how it might happen . . . Grrrrr

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

....or simpler means...

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2022 ... -november/

This looks like a trend may be developing.... :|

https://www.king5.com/article/news/crim ... cade0b1a8