'Active Shooter Drills' at the kids' school...!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

'Active Shooter Drills' at the kids' school...!

Post by AJMD429 »

It is upsetting to find out that your school has active shooter drills, but I don't think it's for the reason this guy said.

https://www.insider.com/mom-pulled-kid- ... 022-12?amp

To me, the upsetting part is that they teach that it is an inevitable thing that cannot be prevented, and that if it happens the only way to react is to run and hide. That is definitely a good thing to do if you're a little kid, but it instills a mindset of passivity and fear that may be worse than the benefit of reinforcing what is common sense anyway. Most kids are going to run and hide if something scary is happening, most adults and myself included, unless there is someone helpless that needs protection.

I think if they want to teach the kids to hit the floor because they know their teacher is going to whip out a Glock and double-tap the killer in the chest before putting one in his forehead then I'm all for it. THAT would give the kids a sense of security and safety, and reinforce what should be the response to a murderer, versus cowering. They also might have a little more respect for their third grade teacher if they know she can put five shots in the X-Ring in 3 seconds.

I guess we had 'active shooter drills' when we homeschooled, but instead of hiding under the desk, we taught the kids how to shoot back.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 'Active Shooter Drills' at the kids' school...!

Post by jeepnik »

From kindergarten on, preschool wasn’t even a word as it didn’t exist, we had drop drills. The drills were the respond to the potential nuclear attack. I don’t recall anyone being harmed bu the drills. Perhaps we were made of sterner stuff.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
arclight
Levergunner

Post by arclight »

After Sandy Hook our agency developed a response program. The early stages of "Run, Hide, Fight." We delivered it to every school in three counties. While I think we made great progress in moving the paradigm, it was a heavy lift. Teachers rightly feel a strong sense of responsibility for their students, and many if not most were very reluctant to allow the kids out of their sight, which was a given when they bombshell out the doors or windows. You may recall that at Columbine most of the kids were killed under the desks in the library, even though there was a back door, and in fact one of the students asked the librarian, "Shouldn't we just leave?" She was "shushed" back under the desk and killed shortly thereafter.
Being rural eastern Oregon we also offered to train selected teachers and staff in an armed response. The almost universal reaction ranged from discomfort to horror. Almost no teacher out there will give serious consideration to even the concept, let alone the practice. Much to my surprise and disgust they not only see themselves as nurturing, they see ANY guns in schools as "only contributing to the culture and climate of violence." Many schools are uncomfortable even with SRO's.
We pointed out that after Ma'Alot in 1973 the national Israeli response was to arm teachers and staff. Has not been a mass shooting in an Israeli school since. No dice.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

"...Being rural eastern Oregon we also offered to train selected teachers and staff in an armed response. The almost universal reaction ranged from discomfort to horror. Almost no teacher out there will give serious consideration to even the concept, let alone the practice...."

I'm afraid that would be a deal-breaker for me if I were a parent nowadays. I not only wouldn't want my kid in a school that haven't bothered to put up any semblance of a defensible perimeter other then a "Gun Free Zone" sign, and was unwilling to actually defend against an intruder, even if I were willing to take that risk with my child's life, I would not want them to be around the corrosive mindset of people who expressed "discomfort and horror" at the thought of protecting children.

I've heard teachers quoted as saying that they would jump in front of a bullet to save a child, so why would that same teacher be unwilling to pull a gun out of a holster and shoot the person who's spraying bullets..? It seems like she might actually save her own life, but more importantly, save multiple children's lives, instead of just the one she stepped in front of. People without more common sense than that surely can't be very good teachers, because they are obviously intellectually compromised somehow.

I've talked to a few teachers in school bus drivers during the past decade who are more than willing to proactively protect children, and despite the laws they make sure they have the means to do it.

I think legislators and school administrators and anyone else who enforces a "gun-free zone" law against otherwise law abiding school employees should be charged as accomplices to murder whenever there's a school shooting, just as if they had crept into the school and disabled the fire alarms and sprinkler system, and later on kids were killed when the school burnt down.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "