"New" sight for the old eyes

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

"New" sight for the old eyes

Post by earlmck »

This eBay find came in the mail today.
IMG_0580.jpg
Having discovered what a wonderful sight they put on the Springfield 1903 I thought I'd like one on a levergun. Now to decide which one!

I'm kinda' thinking the Marlin Cowboy, 38/55.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: "New" sight for the old eyes

Post by CowboyTutt »

Hey Earl, looks promising! Who makes it? Spec's please! Inquiring Cowboys want to know!!! :D

-Tutt or Andy to you,

God Bless Brother!
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Earl, I am following your experiment closely. That early Springfield sight is the Buffington's little brother and I am sure you will have fun making the most of it!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very cool. This will be an interesting project for sure! :D
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

CowboyTutt wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:20 am Hey Earl, looks promising! Who makes it? Spec's please! Inquiring Cowboys want to know!!! :D

-Tutt or Andy to you,

God Bless Brother!
As you've probably realized by now Andy, this is the sight taken off an old Springfield '03 during a sporterization project. Of course I'll have to do a little cutting to get the sight in a form I can stick on a levergun.

For some reason it seems most of these sights were removed so that they didn't retain the forward knob which is the windage knob, so when you go eBaying you've gotta' be careful to get the full meal deal.

Note that this is my desperate attempt to find a work-around for old eyeballs that have quit doing that "automatic centering" thing with peep sights and which causes me to have aiming difficulties with the standard (and wonderful for most folks) receiver sight.

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:41 am Earl, I am following your experiment closely. That early Springfield sight is the Buffington's little brother and I am sure you will have fun making the most of it!
Yep -- a beautifully made scaled-down Buffington. But they didn't put in the Buffington's leftward slant to compensate for spindrift of a right-hand twist rifled barrel. Since it is calibrated out to 2800 yards I wonder why not? Of course, there's nothing to keep an old levergunner from mounting it with a little leftward lean other than the political implications.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry