348 Case Life

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

348 Case Life

Post by Bridger »

How many loadings should I expect to get out of .348 WCF cases? I’m not loading hot, just normal, close to factory level loads.

Thanks!
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
JimT
Shootist

Re: 348 Case Life

Post by JimT »

Bridger ... I was waiting for someone with more experience than I to answer your question ... but ... you are stuck with me apparently. :lol:

I had an original early 71 Deluxe Model and shot it for about 15 or 20 years. I did not do a lot of experimenting with it and shot factory and handloads. The only bullets I used were the Hornady 200 gr. and the Barnes 250 gr. ... Used the Barnes bullet in Africa on Zebra.

I had new and old brass. The older brass belonged to the original owner who was an old friend. When he passed I bought the rifle and all the ammo and brass he had from his widow.

I reloaded the brass quite a few times and never had any failures that I recall. With loads that were "top end" .. near Maximum by the Loading Manual ... I remember that the brass length did increase some in a few firings. The big tapered case is prone to do that which is why Ackley developed the straight case with the sharper shoulder. BUT ... even the case length was not an issue for me. I did not shoot it every day or even every month and case life was good enough I did not worry about it.

I know that really does not answer your question but it's the best I have. My suggestion is find an accurate load ... shoot it .. and watch your cases. You will get an idea of what's going on with your rifle by doing it. And quite frankly, that's better than some old guy's opinion on the internet. :D

Good Shootin'!
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

Thanks for the input Jim! I’ll just keep shooting and see what I come up with.

I’ve got quite a few of those Barnes 250s. Did they do a good job on the Zebra? Not that I’m about to go shoot one but I am curious. I tell myself I’m saving some of them did a grizzly hunt one day.
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Bridger wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:39 am Thanks for the input Jim! I’ll just keep shooting and see what I come up with.

I’ve got quite a few of those Barnes 250s. Did they do a good job on the Zebra? Not that I’m about to go shoot one but I am curious. I tell myself I’m saving some of them did a grizzly hunt one day.
The bullet worked fine. I didn't. I hit it quite low and it was a long track to get it. But we did.
13.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.