Heritage Rough Rider

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Heritage Rough Rider

Post by Grizz »

on sale for $99 after rebate. is this junk, complete and total junk? or is it capable of sending lr's for the rest of the century? what are the fail-points in this one?

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore ... /ID/143454

curiously,

JimT
Shootist

Re: Heritage Rough Rider

Post by JimT »

I have no personal experience with them but I have heard that since Taurus took over the quality control is good. My son-in-law's Dad has one with both the LR and the Magnum cylinders and he loves it.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I had one 25 or more years ago. The frame and grip frame are zymac or something like that. The hammer, cylinder and barrel are steel. The safety on the side is a little clunky, but works fine. Mine was a perfectly good plinker. I'd like to see one go up against Ruger's Wrangler. If you can, check the barrel before buying. A friend bought one not long back and his had chatter marks.
Last edited by Bill in Oregon on Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

Our local Murdochs farm and ranch supply has them for $69.99 on sale.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Rockrat wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:12 pm Our local Murdochs farm and ranch supply has them for $69.99 on sale.
BRT . . . :lol:
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:06 pm I had one 25 or more years ago. The frame and grip frame are zymac or something like that. The hammer, cylinder and barrel are steel. The safety on the side is a little clunky, but works fine. Mine was a perfectly good plinker. I'd kike to see one go up against Ruger's Wrangler. If you can, check the barrel before buying. A friend bought one not long back and his had chatter marks.
OK Thanks. maybe i should just get the ruger. or maybe i should just drop the price into the jar for the new tires to replace the new tires when they aren't . . . er, more coffee i guess .. .

the Wrangler is more than twice the price. it's more than i paid for a Ruger automatic a few years ago . . . but it's only money . ..
but but but i'm laughing at myself out loud now ! ! ! ! :!:
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I've had one for years - 22 and 22 MAG cylinder.

Surprisingly accurate!

I've had no trouble with mine - it goes bang every time.

-Stretch
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

It certainly isn't a Ruger Single Six... but neither is the Ruger Wrangler. Ruger came out with the Wrangler to go head-to-head with the Heritage guns. For a casual, fun, inexpensive plinker, you probably can't go wrong with the Heritage as long as you can live with that abomination of a safety. :wink: Heritage certainly has a huge variety of barrel lengths, frame colors and grips to choose from. I would have bought one, and still may (as a kit gun), but I have a RSS, so it is not a priorty compared to other things I want. Still, if I saw one for under a Benjamin, I'd probably give in to temptation! :lol: I certainly would for $69!
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

I have a Rough Rider that's about ten years old now. It's the standard 6" barrel with fixed sights and has the LR and Mag cylinder. Aside from tending to shoot a bit high and left, it's never failed me and is always fun to wage war on cans and bottles with. Shorts and subsonics are also fun with it. Cheap as they are selling now I kind of want a shorter barreled model
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have one with wood grips. Not sure how old it is. My Wife purchased it used at a garage sale for me. It has never given me any trouble.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

My FIL has one. The greatest irritation that I see is the safety. As far as function and shooting, his is accurate and has never misfired. IMO, it would make a good trapline or cheap packing pistol that might save a little wear and tear on a nicer pistol that you dont want to get scratched up in a thicket.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

No experience with the Heritage, but the Wrangler I bought for kid #1 last Christmas has close to 1000 rounds through it so far. Probably the best $200 I've spent in a long time. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

There are about three kinds of folk when it comes to the Heritage Rough Riders. The ones that won't even look at them because "they're junk", some based on actual experience, some on whatever else reason they can come up with. Then there's the one's who can't get past the "safety" sticking out the side of what should be the clean lines of a classic sixgun profile, kind of like a melanoma growing on the face of Mona Lisa. Then there are the folks who don't give a hoot about the "safety" and pick them up to shoot. Those folk seem to outnumber the rest as they tend to sell well. I'm somewhere between the two last groups. Never have had a chance at one at one of the sales events and don't want to pay 2/3's of a Wrangler's price for a sixgun with a cancer growing out the side. :D Wish they'd done something more like the West German sixgun I bought years back. It had a thin, sheet metal "safety" that would pop up but blended into the lines of the gun for the most part. Pretty is as pretty does, however, and most folks who actually own them think they're a decent little popper. At $70 I'd be tempted, possibly to the breaking of my will power, because you can't have too many 22's. :lol:
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Paul, the one I had had a short barrel -- maybe 3 1/2 inches -- and the birdshead grip, which seemed novel at the time. I got fair value out of it.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

How to remove safety....https://youtu.be/wKWEAQ12_zo
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

I was reluctant to to purchase one of these for a while because I enjoy my Single Sixes so much. Well, my father in law bought one and I got to fondle it and shoot it. I ended up buying myself one about a year or two ago and have used it a good bit. It has been a great little .22 and I prefer it over the Ruger Wrangler. It's not as nice as the Single Six but at a fraction of the price it makes a good gun to bang around here and there in the woods. The safety is ugly and unwanted but you dont really notice it unless you try to use it and realize that when you go to shoot its on. Single Actions done need safeties.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

thanks for all the input. apparently it doesn't have a hammer-block safety. or apparently a half-cock safety either, and can't carry 6 with the hammer down i guess . . . from videos. . .

Sheesh! My combloc flare device has a hammer block safety. it is totally safe with a flare in the chamber. un-cocked it cannot fire. like a Redhawk . . .etc. so I've lost interest until i stumble into something . . .

thanks everyone for the info !

grizz
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AmBraCol wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:17 am because you can't have too many 22's. :lol:
That there is the money quote! :D :D :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Guns aren't like a loaf of bread....while it's somewhat rare, there are times when you need it instantly and from experience, I will guarantee you that guns can detect stress......why fool with junk when the amount of a couple of months of an electric bill will get you quality.

Get a Ruger Single Six.....leave the junk for the hood rats. You don't want to be brought in front of this guy.----006

Model A Uzi’s
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Sixgun wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:15 pm Guns aren't like a loaf of bread....while it's somewhat rare, there are times when you need it instantly and from experience, I will guarantee you that guns can detect stress......why fool with junk when the amount of a couple of months of an electric bill will get you quality.

Get a Ruger Single Six.....leave the junk for the hood rats. You don't want to be brought in front of this guy.----006
Thanks Six !! I just cut off my electricity so i can buy a Ruger in a couple of months ! :)
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Grizz wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:43 pm Thanks Six !! I just cut off my electricity so i can buy a Ruger in a couple of months ! :)
Your welcome Grizz! One thing for sure, you'll get a better return on your money with a Ruger....on a serious note, people who buy cheap guns are the same ones who used to buy Yugo, Chevy Vegas and Ford Pinto cars....they didn't know any better and thought they were saving money....

Did you also ever notice, while watching the news about a robbery in the inner city that the victims life was saved because the robber's gun failed to fire and ultimately dies because the victim shot him with a Smith & Wesson, Colt, or a Ruger?

Like Elmer Keith said, junk is junk and always will be junk and a person that saves money on a cheap gun to defend him/her self does not think much of their own life.......a quality gun is cheap life insurance and a quality gun is within the financial reach of every American.

You don't see the military buying Rossi's, RG's, or Ravens.......or Heritages.----- :D ---006
Model A Uzi’s
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I could buy a Heritage more cheaply than having my grandmama’s badly neglected Single-Six factory refinished. Think I will be sending her off once I ever get caught up with things. The Heritage looks cheap to me but the price is right. I’m sure I would gleefully shoot one given the chance but at this stage I can’t see why I would get one.

The Wrangler birds head variant maybe just to have something different than what I currently have. It’s still a Ruger and has a proven design despite cheaper materials and finish. Plus I trust Ruger to stand behind it for quite a while to come (Ruger does discontinue parts and service on older models).

I’m glad there are choices at different cost levels though. Although I passionately hate the race to the bottom with all though Savage/Tikka cross bolt actions that everyone makes now.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Six got me going today. If i skip the next tire change and go 110,000 miles on the new shoes i can get this Vaquero. I'm thinking i can get some rubber and epoxy and keep the wheels going that long, and take the savings to the LGS to get a high value gun:
Screenshot 2022-11-26 210039-ruger 45 Vaquero.png
then if i skip oil changes for a couple of years i can get the Bearcat and have a set.
think i'll shut off the gas to the house too . . . .

Thanks again Six

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

As far a single action 22 calibers go. I have a Ruger single six and possibly a Colt SAA 22.
I have to get to the trading post to see if anyone bought it.
Since I found a 1954 Marlin Texan in 35 Rem., I been looking for a vintage short-range scope
Leupold or Weaver.
Now Sixgun a quality orange colored 74 Pinto is a thing of beauty!
Cranking out the rap on my vintage Blaupunkt high Fi system.
Laquanna hanging out in the thin vinal passenger seat working on her jewel incrusted Walmart fingernails, all while cruising the hood.
Life don't get much better! Unless there's a Popeye within the vicinity!
Utopia!
Johnny
trapper45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by trapper45 »

I'll always have my trusty 6-1/2" Single-Six Convertible I bought new in the summer of 1968 (for the list price of $69.50!), but last week on a lark I picked up a 6-1/2" Rough Rider. My brother has a Wrangler, but wanted the Magnum capability, so he 'splurged' on the Rough Rider, and reported no issues and that it shot as well as he could. I wound up also getting a WMR cylinder from a display rack, plastic bubble-packed, and separate ($29.95 at Academy), but it fit and functioned flawlessly with WMRs, WRFs, and DynaPoints alike. Also, the magnum cylinder is non-fluted, easily distinguishable from the regular .22 cylinder.

The safety's a non-issue. When I'm looking down the sight channel at the front sight, it's not even visible. And it is a hammer-block type. When on 'Safe' it engages the hammer shank about halfway up the hammer, and prevents the hammer nose from touching the firing pin. Roll the safety down to 'Fire' and the hammer's just like my original Single-Six, with the classic 4 'C-O-L-T' clicks, and the trigger is smooth like the old Single-Six, with no creep or over-travel. I was pleased--and amazed!--at how well it functioned. It grouped nicely with whatever I fed it, from CB Shorts and Longs, standard-velocity or hi-speed. I'm reasonably sure it will be like me--happy to shoot whatever's cheapest. It's definitely minute-of-RC-can!

As 'they' say, Your mileage may vary, but I'm satisfied with mine, and in fact ordered a set of rosewood grips for it. (The issue plastic smooth ones were/are quite satisfactory, but I prefer wood.)
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

this is good info Trapper, I am tentatively turning the gas back on, and waiting to see what Six comes up with. :lol: However my Scots-Irish ancestors are telling me that I can't pay 99$ for the gun without the win mag cylinder when Y'all are finding it for 69$ with the extra cylinder, which is right because a cheap gun should be cheap cheep cheep . . . going to search for such a deal on the upcoming road trip.

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Considering the fact that I ain't even allowed to have one I however have learned a heck of a lot about the Rough Riders by watching a multitude of videos on YouTube. Opinions vary but mostly seem in favor of the cheap little shooter, of course not everything on YouTube is a true reflection of reality. I assume they are ok for their intended use but probably not a future family heirloom... :wink:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.