Wolf population in your state

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Wolf population in your state

Post by BenT »

Just curious how the wolf population is in your state. I hear them occasionally in the evening. It is usually after the coyotes start yipping and then a big old howl, and then everything goes silent. Trump had the wolf delisted and Wisconsin had a spring wolf hunt in 2021. The goal was 135 wolves I believe and after 2 days they killed 214 wolves. Most animal rights people went berserk. How often do you see a wolf in the wild. Not often, so if you can kill 214 wolves in about 18 hours of daylight. There must be a lot of wolves out there. Anyway the Federal courts have kept us from having a hunt since.

The Wisconsin wolf management number goal is 350 wolves statewide. Minnesota is 2200 to 3000 with estimates at 2700. Wisconsin came out with a new wolf population goal with no set number. Quote “This plan's goal is focused on a holistic and pragmatic approach to wolf management, conservation and stewardship,”

So apparently Wisconsin has a bunch of people from a Hippie Commune instead of the nature conservative sciences making the Wisconsin plan. I am not sure how you quantify "holistic". But I am pretty sure with science you need to define, by some source that is measurable, current state and then what you are trying to achieve. I am not sure what unit of measurement one would use when measuring holistic. But I am always willing to learn. I am a little slower than most, so if you know the unit of measurement, could you share it with me, so I can sound intelligent in future conversations on wolf populations. :D
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Re: Wolf population in your state

Post by wvfarrier »

Wolves....zilch
Coyotes....freaking everywhere
Coy Dogs....becoming an issue
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

Couple of packs and some more have moved in. Now they are going to bring more in, but those that voted for them, don't want them in their backyard. They voted to put them in prime deer/ elk country.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Indiana

No wolves
Tons of coyotes
More tons of feral/'pet' dogs

If you have four-legged livestock killed by predators here it is about 2/3 of the time it will be dogs, maybe half fully 'wild' and the other half from the nearest subdivision, complete with collar and rabies tag. The other 1/3 coyotes. There are a few bobcats and occasional other predators cited in the state but I think in terms of interaction with livestock other than poultry it's pretty much feral dogs and coyotes.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

No wolves around here.
Coyotes are plentiful.
Wildcats are plentiful.
Feral dogs only in some limited areas.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Here in Texas, what Piller said + plenty cougars. They do not howl, but you will never forget the sound of their scream! The purr they make when eating carries a ways too.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
KeithNyst
Levergunner 1.0

Post by KeithNyst »

NE Minnesota … wolves up, deer hunting tag fill has consistently been on the decline for our group at the shack. Wolf and bear piles in our yard, but have not seen them in the yard.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Here in SE Wyoming its not uncommon to see a few now & then, the NW part i hear they are thick & taking a heavy toll on elk & moose, they have a season over there but dont know the details of the season
most of Wyoming they are classified as vermin and i dont hesitate to shoot, lots of coyotes & lions
saturday a bud of mine chased a lion out of his yard as it was after his wifes most of the time house cat
as CRS said you wont forget the scream of a lion, bout a month one screamed just out side my bed room window
i flew out of bed giving my self a bit of whip lash :shock: i suspect it was after a barn cat
the barn is 50 feet from my window
Ben T my brother has some land in Ludington & he is big on trail cams, lots of bear & wolves, few bob cat & a few deer, borders that big block of county land on county N, north of lake EauClaire

ollogger
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Hear tell we have one that wandered down fro Oregon. Had a GPS collar so they could track it. Not sure where it is now.

Personally, I’d like to see the critter on our state flag reintroduced. We were offered some grizzlies from, I think Wyoming or Montana but the idea was fought by, of all groups, the Sierra Club. Apparently, they feared the bears would take a liking to granola fed prey.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

After wolves were reintroduced in Oregon the populations increased rapidly, and supposedly we have 175+ currently. But I doubt F&G really knows the true numbers as it's tough for them to count wolves when F&G goes home at 5:00p.m. and wolves are pretty nocturnal.
My guess is we have double that, but they wont tell us accurate numbers or people will freak out.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Too many to count! Unfortunately they are all in politics or law! :twisted:
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

marlinman93 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:11 am After wolves were reintroduced in Oregon the populations increased rapidly, and supposedly we have 175+ currently. But I doubt F&G really knows the true numbers as it's tough for them to count wolves when F&G goes home at 5:00p.m. and wolves are pretty nocturnal.
My guess is we have double that, but they wont tell us accurate numbers or people will freak out.
My advice is don't go walking/hiking without a man toy!
joepb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by joepb »

0ne is too many...Joe
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

They calculate 1200 to 1300 here in Idaho!
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Montana FWP says 1200 or so. Double that.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

ollogger wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:28 pm
Ben T my brother has some land in Ludington & he is big on trail cams, lots of bear & wolves, few bob cat & a few deer, borders that big block of county land on county N, north of lake EauClaire

ollogger
My friend bow hunts over there in the county forest off Cheney road. Last year him and his buddy were checking game cameras at 9 in the morning. His buddy lets out a howl and got an answer. He kept it up and within 15 minutes they had 7 wolves circling them trying to sort out the challenge. He recorded a video on his phone when they came in. It was pretty amazing that there was a pack that came in that fast.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Ben four years ago we was back there & we drove through Cheney road, more wolf & bear tracks than deer
my bro knows a guy in Wilson that was trying to rattle in a buck & i think it was 7 or 8 wolves that came in
dead set on finding them fighting bucks, sounded like it got pretty intense for awhile, never go out in the
woods with just your bow, them poor guys that hunt bear with hounds have a ton of bad luck with wolves

OPEN SEASON

ollogger
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

A few critically endangered red wolves are released in Northeastern NC since 1987 after their extinction in the wild. They haven’t done well due mainly to shootings and hybridization with coyotes.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Just an opinion. Humans were doing fine with hunting being the predation on game animals to keep the populations in check. It seems that with the introduction of grey wolves to areas which previously had a different sub-species, that the wolves are fast eating all the game and becoming a nuisance. Where hunting them is prohibited, the reports are that they are losing their fear of humans. Hunting with total numbers to be harvested managed by wildlife biologists should keep all populations healthy and maintain a good balance.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

we have two legged wolves in Florida.
But they were soundly defeated in the election! hahaha
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

RIHMFIRE wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:26 amwe have two legged wolves in Florida.
But they were soundly defeated in the election! hahaha
Only half of them! :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

ollogger wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:32 pm them poor guys that hunt bear with hounds have a ton of bad luck with wolves

OPEN SEASON

ollogger
The guys I know won't go to Cheney road any more to train their bear dogs. They have been losing too many to the wolves.

If the state would just manage the wolves with a hunting season, like they manage all other game animals, the hunters will embrace it like we seen in the last hunt. Because most hunters want to hunt wolves and be able to put a 10 penny nail in the wall and hang a wolf hide. But if there is no hunting season then hunters will treat them like any pest and just shoot them randomly. So wolves will get shot and it will all go to waste. The reason we follow the hunting traditions with the game we shoot, of mounting a head or hanging a hide. It is not so much a trophy but a respect of that hunt.
MS 9x56
Levergunner

Post by MS 9x56 »

If you believe our DEC none but at least 2 killed by coyote hunters have been dna confirmed to be wolves. In reality we have a small but building population.
Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns
KeithNyst
Levergunner 1.0

Post by KeithNyst »

In the DNR area we hunt in NE Minnesota, the annual harvest of bucks in the area has declined dramatically and wolf sightings are on the rise. My brother saw 5 during deer season.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by KeithNyst on Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Hi Ben,
Yep, the wolf issue here in WI is a cluster**** !
Had two wolves trot by me about 200 ft away this past regular season. Heading back up (SW of Grand View) for muzzleloader in several days.
Politics has ruled WL Mgmt far too long here. The science has and is, being ignored !
The answer begins with removing the politicians from WDNR leadership, the NRB isn't much use either.
Sigh......