First visit to range after accident

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Swagman
Levergunner 1.0

First visit to range after accident

Post by Swagman »

Had a big day last sunday, finally made it back to the range to burn some black powder in my Marlin M1895 Cowboy. Back in July I slipped over in the mud in my back yard which resembled the Somme(I live on the outskirts of Sydney and we have had more than 2 years average rainfall between Feb and Aug 2022). Broke all three bones in my left ankle, the technical term is a Left Tri-Malleolar ankle fracture.

Anyways I had loaded up some new rounds for the 45/70 using a .457, 340GR bullet over 65Gr of 2Fg and I finally got to try them out. Pleased with the results from 25Mtrs, could do better I think with a decent bench rest, I left mine at home and had to use the dodgy one at the range which has a bit of a lean on it and couldn't be raised high enough for my height. Had just put up a target at 50mtrs when a huge thunder storm hit, had a few shots but being in an open shed the rain was pelting in making it pretty uncomfortable, then I had two misfires in a row (faulty primers) so decided to make a run for it and come back on a weekday to do more sighting in. At least we are starting to get some normal late spring days now with temps around 26 - 29C to dry things out a bit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Re: First visit to range after accident

Post by jnyork »

Swagman wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:05 pm so decided to make a run for it

Glad to hear you can now run again. :D
Swagman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Swagman »

Well, I limped at a rapid rate back to the car!
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Glad to see a fellow levergunner get back in the saddle.

Not glad to see that you had an "accident", but when I saw the post, at first I read "range + accident" and almost connected those 2 words together (for a second or two)... For sure, no accident is fun, but I am very glad to see it was not a "range accident"...

Cheers, and tight groups.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Swagman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Swagman »

Thanks Old No 7! A study was done here a number of years ago that showed that Shooting is the safest sport in Australia.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Good to hear you're recovering. I broke an ankle, gotta be 20 years ago and every once in a while it will still reminds me to watch where I'm walking. :shock:

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Just outstanding that you overcame, prevailed, and retreated strategically. 8)
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Glad you are OK now.
Texas is having its 3 weeks of Autumn right now.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Old No7 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:27 pm Glad to see a fellow levergunner get back in the saddle.

Not glad to see that you had an "accident", but when I saw the post, at first I read "range + accident" and almost connected those 2 words together (for a second or two)... For sure, no accident is fun, but I am very glad to see it was not a "range accident"...

Cheers, and tight groups.

Old No7
+1 on both counts! Was worried it was a firearms accident! :shock:
Swagman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Swagman »

Thanks to you all for your kind comments! Most painful thing I have ever done!, managed 64 years without a stay in hospital and then did in my ankle.

Sorry about the posting title, it didn't occur to me that putting range & accident together would cause concern but I can see why now! Cheers
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Glad to see that you are mobile again Swagman, shooting in a thunderstorm may not so much fun but its still shooting.... :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Swagman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Swagman »

I agree Gamekeeper! It was the muzzle loading rifle competition day as well so between my 45/70 and all the other blokes blazing away we created quite a black powder fog.
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Glad to hear your on the mend !

Would you post some pictures of the range you were at ? So I can live vicariously through your adventures. Love seeing pictures of various places the members here go to.

John
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

When We live in a bubble and nothing bad happens life is good. :D . When I turned around 60 I had many eye surgery's that slowed my world to a halt. Thanks to modern technology I can still SEE...... When My Grandfather was about 80 He said "Every Day We get Up and put our Feet on the Floor"...We Got the World By The ***..... Keep on plugging away. :D .
Swagman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Swagman »

Thanks Bronco John, here are some photos of the range which belongs to the Sydney Colonial Muzzle Loading Club which is near the Hawksbury River. It is a one and a half hour drive for me to get there but always worth it to spend time in the bush away from the city! I also included some video of a cannon shoot held at the range earlier in the year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.