OM Lightweight Single Six

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

OM Lightweight Single Six

Post by samsi »

So, yesterday I stumbled across an Old Model Lightweight at a price I couldn't pass up (I don't think the shop realized what it was). It's not pristine, but looks as good or better than most of the "average" examples I saw online. My question, now that my enthusiasm has trumped my practicality, is how much can a guy shoot one of these old aluminum frame guns without wearing it out? It's late production with the steel cylinder - '58-59.

Sorry, no pics.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Re: OM Lightweight Single Six

Post by AmBraCol »

Send me pics and I'll upload them for you. :D

webservant AT levergunscommunity DOT com

I'd limit it to standard velocity ammo and shoot it without worrying too much about it.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

Yeah, Standard Velocity is probably the wise choice, especially since the sights are probably regulated for it.

There's an older article on Gunblast about the Lightweights that doesn't go into shooting but has some good pics. Mine is like the '57 gun in the RH column, though not quite as nice.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I suspect standard velocity is more pleasant to shoot and likely more accurate (plus as noted above, more likely to be on-center with the sights).
I never saw much point in shooting high velocity stuff out of a handgun unless it is a semiauto that requires it to cycle; I doubt there is as much Increase in velocity as there is noise, and in my limited experience the standard velocity usually shoots smaller groups from a handgun.
Rifles vary a lot more, and some seem perfect for 'Stingers' and such.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Do these lightweights have a reputation for stretching or shooting loose? I mean it is still a fairly large Ruger single action which has been chambered in 327 mag with seven chambers albeit in steel frames. I would think you could shoot any LR ammo in it you wanted every day and it would still outlive you.
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

I don't have any idea whether they shoot loose or not, since most folks that have them seem to be more collector than shooter. I'm not so concerned with frame stretch as with things like the bolt notch in the frame or the hand slot getting wallowed out. I'm not aware of any restrictions on ammo with the new Wranglers, but I'm also considering that there's 60 years difference in metallurgy between the two. You're right though, it's unlikely to wear out for the amount I'll use it.