new single stage press

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

new single stage press

Post by Walt »

My 40 year old RCBS Jr. press is about worn out after many thousands of rounds loaded. I am considering a Rock Chucker Supreme or maybe an RCBS Summit. I only load rifle rounds on a single stage press, from .222 mag through many medium calibers to .45-70 and .375 H&H. I am interested in neither the Hornady systems nor universal shell holders.

Recommendations?
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: new single stage press

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I have had a lot of presses over the years. Hard to go wrong with a Rockchucker. A lovely turret press is the Redding T-7. I am really pleased with my Forster Co-Ax press. I keep a Lyman O-ring press handy for cases whose rims are large enough that I would have to swap in larger shell holder jaws on the Co-Ax.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Thanks, Bill. The Co-Ax presses have a really good reputation but I don't want to use universal shell holders. Regarding the Rock Chucker, the new presses are apparently not as robust as the older ones and despite claims by RCBS it's been said that the new frames are made in China. I don't know whether that's true or not although that may not be a factor in how well they're made.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I decided to replace my RCBS Jr II when I finally tired of having to hold the bullet up inside the die and bring the ram up to meet it and seat bullets in the .40-90SBN, plus, the 12 gauge set for brass shotshells needs the larger diameter of the Rockchucker. I bought a used one. I'm sure it is possible to wear one out, but... I kinda doubt it'll be in my lifetime!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Walt, I have heard that about the new Rockchuckers, but like older RCBS stuff if I can find it. The original Rockchucker had a reputation for being strong enough for basic bullet swaging. It also had that removable bushing to allow use of the large body 1 1/4- 12 thread if you had a yen to reload .577-450 Martini.
A nice alternative to the Rockchucker and a real step up in quality if you ask me is the Redding Boss press. I have found Redding stuff to be beautifully made.
I did not get into the Co-Ax to avoid using shellholders, but the system works darned well. Main reason was that some very fine black powder cartridge rifle shooters I know would not be without a Co-Ax because of its superiority in loading concentrically. Makes a difference when loading long cases and very long for caliber paper-patched lead bullets.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Bill, thanks again.

Based on your recommendation and also on some very informative reviews I found online, I went ahead and ordered a new Rock Chucker. According to one review that examined over a dozen single stage presses, the Rock Chucker scored high, very close to the Co-Ax in concentricity, lack of ram movement and other measurements. A German single stage press costing 4 times the price of the Rock Chucker was also rated and again, the Rock Chucker scored very close. I'm sure I'll be happy with it.

I appreciate your input.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Call RCBS.....they just might recondition your old one gratis. :cry: :evil: :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Griff, I agree completely that the work space within the frame is too small on the RCBS Jr. I am a bit worried that some of my older dies are too short to function properly in the higher frame size and I've run into that problem with my Dillons. My biggest gripe with the Jr aside from the progressively worsening play in the ram is the handle dropping every time I let go of it. That seriously bugs me.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Blaine wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:06 pm Call RCBS.....they just might recondition your old one gratis. :cry: :evil: :idea:
Agreed. Many companies in the gun industry are amazing in how they stand behind their products... and treat loyal customers. :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Walt wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:10 pmGriff, I agree completely that the work space within the frame is too small on the RCBS Jr. I am a bit worried that some of my older dies are too short to function properly in the higher frame size and I've run into that problem with my Dillons. My biggest gripe with the Jr aside from the progressively worsening play in the ram is the handle dropping every time I let go of it. That seriously bugs me.
I haven't had any issue with the ram not reaching the bottom of any of my dies in the Rockchucker. The stroke is augmented by the additional leverage of the ram/handle linkage. (If I have my terms correct).
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:09 pm
Blaine wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:06 pmCall RCBS.....they just might recondition your old one gratis. :cry: :evil: :idea:
Agreed. Many companies in the gun industry are amazing in how they stand behind their products... and treat loyal customers. :D
+1, RCBS replaced (actually upgraded) my 40+ year old 10-5 balance beam scale with the 10-10 3 years ago. Gratis. I was shocked... and very pleased! 'Sides, having more than one press can be quite the boon. I keep an old Lyman "C" press mounted to a ¾" plywood base that can be c-clamped to a shooting bench for developing loads right at the range. I can take my powder drop, scale and this press and seat bullets after making minute adjustments in powder charges in the midst of a shooting string. I used to constrained to making up x number of cartridges in stepped up charges and often found myself wishing I could have a couple more of a particular load to run again... or maybe just a grain or two less, or a few tenths... this way my adjustment to what I find at the range can be near instantaneous... instead of waiting till I get home and make up some more. Even at the home range I can clamp it to my work mate and have it right in the field with me, no more trudging back to the loading shop, etc.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

A gunshop whose owner I knew used the Lee single stage presses for stuff that wasn't really high volume. They had a Dillon 750 for that. The owner had a Rock chucker of his own so I know he could have had that at the shop. Not sure why he preferred the Lee, but when I asked he said "they work, don't cost much, and we haven't broke any of them even though these ham-handed morons (gesturing to his two co-workers) keep trying, so what could be better?".
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've used the same old Rock Chucker for over 40 years, and just within the last month I got into loading for my new .50-140 Win. Sharps and was forced to retire the Rock Chucker, and buy the RCBS Supreme. The Supreme truly is a step up from my old press, and the old press was great. But I didn't realize the minor changes on the Supreme would be so much better.
To start with the 4.5" stroke, vs. 3.5" stroke allows for an inch taller press opening, so it's so much easier to access the shell holder on the Supreme. Even when loading shorter cartridges it's nicer to have the extra room. And the ability to install the operating handle for either right oor left hand operation is great. Of course if you're a lefty it's probably really appreciated, but even a right hander might prefer pulling the arm left handed, and having all the cases and loading blocks at the right side of their operation. And finally the Supreme has a little leverage advantage over my old press, so operating it is easier, and less fatigue over long term loading. I contemplated getting one of the roller dogleg arms to make it even easier, but after using it as it came I don't think I need more leverage, or that expensive arm.
If you buy the Supreme be sure to shop around! The prices can vary well over $100 between high and low. I found most to be in the $170-$200 range, with some places being as high as $250, and $25 shipping! I found mine from a seller on Ebay for $136 and free shipping. So it pays to spend some time looking.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Marlinman, I did buy the Supreme and it came from Amazon. Being an Amazon Prime member, I am not charged freight on things I purchase there.

Do you have a stand under yours that elevates the press by 9 inches?

Yeah, I bought one of those offset roller handles for one of my Dillons. It stayed on for a month or two and then I went back to the original with the ball end. It'll stay that way.
Mark in MO
Levergunner

Post by Mark in MO »

I don't have a lot of experience with different presses but have had my Rock Chucker for 45 years and it works as well as it did when I got it. I can't imagine how I could ever wear it out.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Mark in MO wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:17 pm I don't have a lot of experience with different presses but have had my Rock Chucker for 45 years and it works as well as it did when I got it. I can't imagine how I could ever wear it out.
My Rock Chucker has to be at least that old and still works just fine.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Walt wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:24 pm Marlinman, I did buy the Supreme and it came from Amazon. Being an Amazon Prime member, I am not charged freight on things I purchase there.

Do you have a stand under yours that elevates the press by 9 inches?

Yeah, I bought one of those offset roller handles for one of my Dillons. It stayed on for a month or two and then I went back to the original with the ball end. It'll stay that way.
No, I don't have a stand on my presses, but I have a very tall reloading bench, so no need for one. My bench is about 40" tall at the top level, and was a counting bench from a local bank I did electrical work at. They were going to toss it out, and I grabbed it, as it's got a heavy square steel tubing frame, and thick 1.25" top. Been working great for over 30 years now.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/