Off Topic--Side Lever

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Off Topic--Side Lever

Post by JBowen »

While I was in town today, I stopped at a pawn shop that I hadn't been in in a while. They have a Winchester Model 670 30-06 in the rack.
It is the short carbine with hardwood stock, iron sights and an ugly camouflage paintjob. It looks like it would be handy carbine.
Do any of you have any experience with the 670? I know it was Winchester's cheaper version of the Model 70 with the push feed bolt, which doesn't
bother me. Probably made to compete with the Remington 788. I had a 788 in 308 and that is one rifle I regret selling.

JBowen
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Off Topic--Side Lever

Post by 44shooter »

My dad had one briefly. Probably the roughest bolt action I have ever worked. He had to run the bolt back and forth with grinding compound to make it tolerable. A friend wanted it more so it went down the road. I personally wouldn’t give much at all for it. It’s not on the same level of quality as a REM 788, maybe more like a 783. Not even close to the same era Rem 700 or pre 64 and modern Classic M70s
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

I've been around a few model 670s they were good shooters, i kind of compared them to the Savage 99 E
not pretty but a good useful gun, if i ran across a 670 carbine i would drag it home

Brad
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Thanks for the replies so far guys. We have one for and one against so far.

I don’t need it but you know how that ol’
Saw goes.. :D

JBowen
Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Lassiter »

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Lassiter wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:27 pm Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...
Enabler!!😎
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

If you examine it, work the bolt and safety, dry fire and it is all satisfactory to you for the price, then get it. Look at it is a good value tool as it’s doubtful it will ever be collectible. I didn’t like the rifle my dad had. I liked the lines and ergonomics but not the roughness. I probably know bolt actions rifles better than any other type of firearm. Some are ugly, cheaply made, stiff, sloppy etc. Almost all are durable and reliable.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Bolt rough?
Strip off the lube completely.
Work action while watching a movie.
Tear it down and gently, lightly stone the parts that you can see were rubbing. :idea:
Personally, I wouldn't dry fire too much on an empty chamber.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Gunsmithing always helps but have to admit, the donor rifle in this case may not be worth the effort. To give you guys a back story, I bought a @$600 Rossi Puma in 454 Casull 18 years ago and I spent probably $2500 getting it to where it needed to be. It is now a very fine rifle.

I spent $1100 on a Kimber 1911 in 10mm @12 to 15 years ago at a rough guess. Most money I ever spent on a gun at the time. All it needed was a trigger job, ambi parts and custom grips by Esmeralda who made them for me by hand at the time. So in fact the Kimber was much cheaper for me overall in the end.

I guess it depends what your standards are and what you intend to do with the rifle. I'm a picky customer and I don't do things by conventional means as Old Savage would tell you. So you need to decide for yourself what your standards are and what you want to own, and maybe pass on to family someday.

I would have to tell you that a slick bolt gun is mighty fine to handle and cycle like my CZ 550 that was modified into 375 H&H Ackley Improved and the bolt jeweled and polished. It makes all the nicest and right sounds and I cherish it a lot.

So I guess it matters what you mean to do with it.

I'm also a bit of an anomaly in that I have never, ever sold a gun I have bought.

I am quite picky the first time, thank you very much, and I don't buy and sell guns. Everything I buy has to fit my needs within my gun collection.

Just do what is right for you, but not sure this one is worth the effort.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

You guys bring up some valid points. Like I said earlier, I don't need it as I have a few Ruger 77's that are much nicer and of course my Winchester
levers are much handier. Sometimes I am a sucker for a challenge.

Thanks again for all the good advice and suggestions. I am going to pass on it.

JBowen
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Ruger 77s are much better made in any of the three generations IMO. Im not knocking Winchester either. I have three late model New Haven Classic M70s. Also much better rifles than the 670.