Why get a "Hand Cannon" when you can get this...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Why get a "Hand Cannon" when you can get this...

Post by Old No7 »

OK, I'll admit I have my collection of stuff too -- some leverguns, a few single shots and all-but-one version of H&R's Model 999 Sportsman -- all lost in a major boating accident, by the way... But my twin brother sure has me beat; he's got a matchlock, a wheellock, a snaphaunce, a few flintlock trade guns, some flintlock French & Indian War era rifles or muskets, plus one of every flintlock long gun ever fielded by U.S. troops -- so I recently asked him "When will you start to add flintlock handguns?"

I was thinking he'd buy some Revolutionary War-era horse pistols, but nope -- he went out and bought THIS!

A Hand Mortar!

( Click any image to enlarge )
Hand Mortar (1).jpg
Hand Mortar (4).jpg
Hand Mortar (5).jpg

History tells us:
A Hand Mortar is a firearm and early predecessor of modern grenade launchers that was used in the late 17th century and 18th century to throw fused grenades. The action was similar to a flintlock, matchlock, or wheellock firearm (depending on the date of production), but the barrel was short, usually 2 inches to 4 inches long (though some are reported to have barrels up to 13 inches ), and had a large bore to accommodate the grenade; usually between 2 and 2.5 inches diameter. After priming the firearm and adding the gunpowder, the shooter would light a grenade fuse, place the grenade in the muzzle of the mortar, then fired it at the enemy. However, accidents would occur if the weapon misfired and the lit grenade remained in the barrel. Additional modifications attempted to light the grenade using the burning gunpowder, but accounts say that the fuse would be forced into the grenade which would explode immediately.

To avoid all those issues, my twin will only shoot tennis balls with his -- "At what?" I asked???

Gee, maybe he has something against tennis players...

Old No7

(OK, I'll admit -- I can't wait to try it either...)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Why get a "Hand Cannon" when you can get this...

Post by gamekeeper »

A cool addition to anyone's collection 8) ............ but I wonder what the misfire drill was :?
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

"...accidents would occur..."

No kidding.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That looks like fun! Reminds me of those large bore salute guns from Bavaria.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

gamekeeper wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:39 am ..... but I wonder what the misfire drill was :?
It was probably something like this, as said by a Sergeant:

"Poor 'ol James... His looks improved somewhat when he lost his head -- literally -- but he was just a wanker anyway...
OK then -- now which one of you blokes wants to shoot this next? Come on over here John... You'll do..."

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Yep, I can't see many volunteers willing to swap their Brown Bess for that.... :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Extremely cool. "Go ahead punk..."
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Get the cheap "dog toy" tennis balls and fill them with plaster of paris. The problem with the fuse being blown into the projectile and causing it to explode in the barrel occurred when the fuse was toward the powder. Someone finally found that loading the grenade fuse up worked fine. The flash from the windage around the grenade lit the fuse and it was well clear of the barrel when it exploded. If the projectile has any mass at all the recommended procedure is to place the toe of the butt on the ground and brace it with your foot.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Reminds me of this classic 'mortar' post. . . :lol: - http://www.buckstix.com/CoehornMortarHunt.htm

It is fascinating how little pressure mortars seem to generate (can make them of semi-soft metal vs gun barrels), and how little powder it takes to launch things FAR. Kind of like the guys who launch ANVILS with just a tiny bit of powder.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Umm, a longer fuse and tape it to the tennis ball then put the fuse toward the powder charge... don't ask me how I know :?

Gotta be a hoot to shoot!

Bet the dog will get plumb wore out chasing those tennis balls!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:26 pm .
Reminds me of this classic 'mortar' post. . . :lol: - http://www.buckstix.com/CoehornMortarHunt.htm
I can just imagine the Pearl Clutching posting that on social media. :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Me wants one! :mrgreen:
Old No7 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:43 am But my twin brother sure has me beat; he's got a matchlock, a wheellock, a snaphaunce...
And me wants one of all of those as well!!!