Grandpa's Rifle ... and it has a lever!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Grandpa's Rifle ... and it has a lever!

Post by JimT »

IMG_3917.JPG
This is a Stevens Marksman .22 - my grandpa bought it back in the early 1900's and used it on his farm for 60 years. He put down cows, slaughtered pigs, shot stray dogs and removed a bunch of groundhogs with it over the years. When he passed, I got it from Grandma. I am the oldest grandson and that started what I hope will be a tradition for many generations. From Grandpa to grandson. This will go to my oldest grandson.

It still shoots well and is very accurate. A testimony to how well they used to make the "cheaper" guns.
IMG_3916.JPG
IMG_3920.JPG
IMG_3921.JPG
The rifle is take-down though it hasn't been taken down maybe since it was made! The action is pretty strong. I had one of these I picked up that was missing a barrel. I took a Mossberg barrel, rechambered it to .22 Magnum and when my daughter was 11 years old she took a nice Javelina with it. In Arizona the .22 Magnum rifle is legal for Javelina .. or at least it was then.
Azalea-Javelina1987.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Grandpa's Rifle ... and it has a lever!

Post by piller »

She looks happy there. From what you have said elsewhere, it sounds as if she was raised well. The .22 Magnum in that type of single shot sounds like a lot of fun. Actually, that type of single shot sounds like a lot of fun.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

One of our "family rifles" is a Stevens Favorite. The first time I saw a gun similar to yours, that breaks instead of having a rolling block, was at my wife's grandparent's house. It was a 44 caliber shotgun, although they used 410 shotshells in it. They are lovely, light, handy tools. The one that my brother inherited belonged to an old rancher that Dad used to work for. For some reason he was talking about "pounding a bolt into the barrel and throwing it into the cowpond". Dad convinced him that if the purpose was to never see it again that he'd make sure it happened. That old rifle went to Brazil and then was carried back to the US and still gives good service. Yeah, I've got a soft spot for those old Stevens rifles.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I took it to the Range this morning with my 8 year old grandson. I set up some 2" x 2" wood blocks at 50 feet and within a few shots he was on them and blew them to splinters. It was great fun. I took a piece that was 2" long and about 3/4" wide .. set it up and offhand hit it first shot. The last time I hunted with this old gun was in the late 90's/early 2000's. Went out shooting pigeons out of the cow sheds. I nailed more than one pigeon at better than 30 yards. It's an easy gun to shoot. The grandson liked it better than the Ruger 10/22 with the red dot sight.
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

That is a special gun for sure, Jim.
J. Stevens and Son made a lot of "utility" guns back before 1915. They were tools for the common people. I have my Great-Grandpa's old J Stevens
16 ga single shot that he used around the farm. That gun had to put game on the table as well and it is very well used.

JBowen