USPS Thieves

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

USPS Thieves

Post by marlinman93 »

I posted some pictures of a couple Ballard rifles here that I purchased recently. A good friend of mine in Montana asked if I wanted to sell him the pistol gripped, deluxe Ballard, so I let it go to him. I packaged it up and took it to my local USPS station on Sept. 1st, and it went to the main distribution center here in Portland that night, just after midnight. It was sent Priority Mail, but tracking checks showed it "still in transit, but arriving late" six days later. It appears there is no scan showing it leaving Portland, and obviously someone at USPS distribution center stole the package.
I've made numerous complaints, requests for a lost package, and theft reports; but to date gotten one reply from Montana USPS stating "it never arrived here". So USPS doesn't seem to care in the least, and obviously they've got big security issues if an employee can simply get a fairly large package out of the building without being seen by someone, or caught on cameras?
Going down to my local USPS station today to file an insurance claim, so we'll see how they handle that part, and hope it goes better than the rest of this process has. USPS was my go to for shipping before this, as both FedEx and UPS have already been major disappointments. Now I have no ideas who to ship through that isn't careless, or thieves.
Bottom rifle in this picture is the one USPS stole. The stocks, lever, and a few other features are very unique to just this gun. Hopefully some thief will show up at a gun show I'm at trying to sell it!

Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Re: USPS Thieves

Post by jdad »

If you send it "Registered" it is kept secured.

The most secure United States Postal Service® mail service (protected by safes, cages, sealed containers, locks, and keys).

Must be presented to a retail employee or rural carrier.
Requires a signature upon delivery.
Mailers using Registered Mail Restricted Delivery can direct delivery only to the addressee (or addressee's authorized agent).
Delivery information provides delivery status or attempted delivery status when the item reaches its destination. Tracking is not provided as the item is en route to its destination.
Registered Mail can be sent to military locations. However, delivery information is not available for items destined to an APO / FPO / DPO.
A system of receipts is provided to monitor movement of mail from the point of acceptance to delivery. These receipts are not readily available and can only be accessed by initiating a claims form, which cannot be completed by phone.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

I've had several firearms shipped Priority Mail that took 2-3 weeks to deliver. Had a handgun shipped by FFL took two weeks.
Each time tracking stopped at a location along the way ,then out of the blue it was delivered.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Good luck with USPS insurance, Vall. They can make the process onerous.
Like Pat, I had a long gun that I shipped priority get hung up in the Memphis hub for more than two weeks. I kept calling and it eventually popped out of the cavern of postal darkness and was delivered just as my buyer and I were discussing a refund. This was about a year and a half ago, when the post office was blaming all problems on Covid.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Long before covid I ordered a 450 Bushmaster upper from Cabelas ( best price surprisingly) I had tracking that showed it in Philadelphia. It sat there for 2 weeks. I finally called Cabelas and the person ran the tracking number and saw it was ' lost ' , they promptly sent a second one overnight via UPS- that one arrived!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Not saying theres a connection with this situation....

I didnt see it mentioned on this forum yet, but theres been recent changes in shipping guns and gun parts. Before shipping anything, check to see whats current. Only dealers and people with shipping agreements can ships guns and PARTS with common carriers, Im not positive yet on USPS. This is a significant change in individuals being able to ship guns or even parts.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Pat C wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:49 am I've had several firearms shipped Priority Mail that took 2-3 weeks to deliver. Had a handgun shipped by FFL took two weeks.
Each time tracking stopped at a location along the way ,then out of the blue it was delivered.
Not sure that handgun was sent USPS. I was told by USPS they do not ship any handguns at all; only long guns.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:23 am Good luck with USPS insurance, Vall. They can make the process onerous.
Like Pat, I had a long gun that I shipped priority get hung up in the Memphis hub for more than two weeks. I kept calling and it eventually popped out of the cavern of postal darkness and was delivered just as my buyer and I were discussing a refund. This was about a year and a half ago, when the post office was blaming all problems on Covid.
All the shippers, USPS< FedEx, and UPS are horrible on insurance claims for damage. But total loss usually isn't an issue. Just need proof of the price it sold for, and if it's the same as insured, or less, they pay up.
I sold a Marlin banner from the early 1960's to a guy back before covid, and it disappeared. When I checked tracking it said they attempted delivery 3 times, but buyer said he got no yellow slips telling him he'd missed delivery. He went to his local USPS and they didn't have the package. I filed a claim and got paid by USPS in 4 days! Then 13 months later the banner showed up at my address marked "return to sender". I sold it to the same guy again.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Malamute wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:16 pm Not saying theres a connection with this situation....

I didnt see it mentioned on this forum yet, but theres been recent changes in shipping guns and gun parts. Before shipping anything, check to see whats current. Only dealers and people with shipping agreements can ships guns and PARTS with common carriers, Im not positive yet on USPS. This is a significant change in individuals being able to ship guns or even parts.
Not USPS. They still accept long guns that are post 1898 shipped to or from an FFL, and antique rifles without any issues. But both FedEx and UPS now require shipments of any gun to go through an FFL. So you have to find a friendly FFL that wont gouge you if you pack it, and they just sit it on their counter to ship out for you if it's an antique. Of course if it's not antique you need an FFL to ship to or from anyway, so it just goes through a gun store.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

FFL dealers can ship handguns US Postal Priority two day mail .and is cheapest means for them.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

If something comes up stolen from the USPS the people to talk to are not the clerks, you need to talk to a Postal Inspector. They are the ones that can get you results.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

I'll almost bet it shows up in the next week or so. Like I said this happens all the time Unfortunatly. Its always same way too . It moves a little down the line ,then nothing ,no movement and followed by its still on the way arriving late. Two to three weeks later it shows up.

I just went back and checked through feedback system on Gunbroker .Two years ago I purchased a rifle of a dealer on 17th of December , It was sent Priority Mail and arrived on January 4th .

Not gun related but I called and talked to Post Master about a package one time that got close then was sent to another town ,then back to same place and scanned again.

They said that packages sometimes accidently fall into wrong bin as they are open and right beside each other .
First thing I would doing is having the local Post Master call the distribution center and demand a search.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Rusty wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:04 am If something comes up stolen from the USPS the people to talk to are not the clerks, you need to talk to a Postal Inspector. They are the ones that can get you results.
Have you tried talking to a Postal Inspector, or almost anyone at USPS lately? I filed a theft report with USPS Postal Inspectors since they do not answer their phone, or respond to phone calls, and that's been 5 days ago now, and no response or acknowledgement they even got my report.
So far I've gotten one person who actually called me when I left a message, and a couple others who told me they messaged the Portland Center, but never got a reply back to them.
From what I see nobody at USPS cares if a package doesn't reach it's destination.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Pat C wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:36 am I'll almost bet it shows up in the next week or so. Like I said this happens all the time Unfortunatly. Its always same way too . It moves a little down the line ,then nothing ,no movement and followed by its still on the way arriving late. Two to three weeks later it shows up.

I just went back and checked through feedback system on Gunbroker .Two years ago I purchased a rifle of a dealer on 17th of December , It was sent Priority Mail and arrived on January 4th .

Not gun related but I called and talked to Post Master about a package one time that got close then was sent to another town ,then back to same place and scanned again.

They said that packages sometimes accidently fall into wrong bin as they are open and right beside each other .
First thing I would doing is having the local Post Master call the distribution center and demand a search.
As I mentioned, nobody answers their phone, and even going to my local station and requesting to speak to the Postmaster was futile. I was told to go online and file a claim, that they can't help me with a missing package once it leaves and checks in at the main hub.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Sounds like maybe trying a smaller near by town PO might help. I deal with three different PO 's locally and all are fairly small town .No problem calling any of them or talking to Postmaster there. Not that will solve anything but you know they have ways of communicating outside what individuals can do.
Stay with but honestly I wouldn't start worrying until first week in October. If it doesn't show by the one month mark,its either gone or really neglected /misplaced.
I 'll be will to bet they know the person that scanned it last .

Good luck
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

A friend called me last night as he said he was sitting at home visiting with a friend of his who happens to work at the Portland Distribution Center for the last 39 years. He put him on the phone, and we talked for quite awhile. One question I asked was whether there was any possibility a worker could get a package out of the place, and he said they've got so many cameras there's no way anyone could get anything bigger than what fit in their pocket out of the building. So that was good news.
He went on to say they've got all no machines as this is a brand new building. But he said occasionally the new machines screw up, and a package gets routed to the wrong place, and then has to find it's way back to the correct destination. So it's still possible it's on a US tour, and may end up at the correct address eventually. Just a question of whether it withstands all the travel, and when it finally gets sent to the right address!
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

A couple of years ago I bought some tools in the US and had them sent by USPS priority. Normally post only takes 2-3 weeks to reach here from the US. On this occasion the parcel turned up about 5 months later and the packaging was intact and nothing was missing.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Uggghhh -- USPS

Anytime a package is sent to me and USPS is the courier , -- it always gets returned to sender as "Address not found" --- Hmmmmmm -- Fed Ex, UPS, Amazon etc etc etc have no problem finding my house several times a week , but USPS can't?

I have a PO Box , because i live on a street that has traffic from young people in the AM going to a nearby Vo-Tech, so have had 2 brick mailboxes destroyed within a 3 year time stretch by young drivers looking at their phones, so i decided not to rebuild again and instead use the PO Box --

I flagged down the letter carrier in the area and all he could stammer out as an explanation was -- "well -- well -- you dont have a mailbox " - i didnt get livid with this gentleman as i couldnt verify that it was he who was losing my packages

So i put up a mailbox ! A T-post, a bracket and some lettering for the house number and voila !

3 days later was receiving some glasses from Oakley's prescription shop - clears and sunglasses -- and hallelujah! They found the house this time ! Instead of placing my somewhat expensive package containing prescription eyewear on my porch where every other package gets left, my glasses were in a box laying in the yard a few feet from the mailbox where the letter carrier tossed them out without a care -- I literally thought it was trash when i got out of the truck to pick it up as i was departing for the day

Great job USPS ! Way to hire top notch staff!

----- Doug
65bee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 65bee »

A year ago I shipped a deluxe engraved 1894 from New England to New Orleans. At the advice of my small town postmaster, I shipped it registered mail, very expensive. He said it was the MOST secure way to ship - bar none! The gun ended up being routed to Chicago and sat there for over a week!!! No updates on tracking - nothing. I had many sleepless nights. The postmaster made numerous calls for me trying to decipher what had happened, with no luck. Eventually, it did arrive in New Orleans, two weeks later. I still think the USPS is the best way to go. I wouldn't ship an anvil with UPS - they'd break the horn off for sure!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

marlinman93 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:54 pm
Bill in Oregon wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:23 am Good luck with USPS insurance, Vall. They can make the process onerous.
All the shippers, USPS< FedEx, and UPS are horrible on insurance claims for damage. But total loss usually isn't an issue. Just need proof of the price it sold for, and if it's the same as insured, or less, they pay up.
I sold a Marlin banner from the early 1960's to a guy back before covid, and it disappeared. When I checked tracking it said they attempted delivery 3 times, but buyer said he got no yellow slips telling him he'd missed delivery. He went to his local USPS and they didn't have the package. I filed a claim and got paid by USPS in 4 days! Then 13 months later the banner showed up at my address marked "return to sender". I sold it to the same guy again.
We’ve had very good luck with UPS insurance over damaged goods . You send pics yadda yadda yadda wait about two months and they make a decision and so far have paid all we’ve sent in . Then they tell you they’ll get the item , all the items require an FFL for them to get them . So the item sits in our safe another sixty days which is their time period to be pick up or it goes back to us . We then relist the item and usually come close to doubling our profit .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

As far as USPS or Fredex or UPS sending the wrong way . I sent a box of brass to someone on here I think it was in CO or MT , it got on the way from Virginia straight to Puerto Rico and then went out west :roll:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

6pt-sika wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:00 pm As far as USPS or Fredex or UPS sending the wrong way . I sent a box of brass to someone on here I think it was in CO or MT , it got on the way from Virginia straight to Puerto Rico and then went out west :roll:
That was the 6.5 PRC brass I bought from you, that was really strange for sure.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Just some update, although no package yet, and no satisfaction from USPS.
On Sept. 15th I got notified my claim for insurance was denied, but no reason given. I was told USPS would send me a letter explaining why they denied my claim, but nothing came. Tried to contact USPS to find out why, but no email, or phone numbers found to allow me to find out where this denial letter was.
So I used the appeal form to simply ask where this letter was, so I could appeal with whatever needed info they wanted. But instead they simply denied that request as if it was an appeal! So I contacted my congressman to tell him how USPS was jerking me around, and his aide contacted me the next day saying they'd look into it. This morning I got the letter from USPS, and by coincidence the aide contacted me stating he'd talked to USPS, and told me the same thing that was in the letter. Basically they want more proof of what I sold it for, and that requires my friend to send me copies of both sides of his canceled check. Then I'll have to send in another appeal to USPS and see if they pay up, or find another reason to deny my claim?
Insurance with USPS is worthless as far as I see. Should they damage, lose, or steal your package, they're going to make life miserable, and hopefully frustrate you so much you'll just give up. Once this is settled I plan to make up a big sign and walk back and forth on the sidewalk outside my local post office. The sign will read: "Don't use USPS unless you don't care if your package gets there!" I figure I can make their business lose some customers, and might even call the local TV station and tell them some nut case is picketing the post office, and they ought to go see why he's doing it!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:evil: :evil: :evil: I've been lucky so far, but most people I know have been "serviced" by USPS or UPS.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

UPS stands for Usually Parts Shattered. USPS stands for Usually Stolen Particularly exSpensive items.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Here's my latest story, still on going. I bought a pair of custom boots from JK Boots in Spokane, Washington. They shipped a pallet load of boots out on September 6th, my boots being on that pallet. I get a tracking number, and an estimated deliver date of Sept. 10th. The boots left Spokane on the 6th or 7th if I remember correctly. After that I get one more email on the 10th telling me that the package will be late but is still moving thru the system.

After that, nothing more! until yesterday, October 6th. During the interim of this last month, I called Jk Boots, several times, and also made my own inquires thru the postal service, etc. Nothing! Finally, Jk Boots, found out that some stupid fool loaded the whole pallet on a truck, going direct to the mail recovery center in Alanta Georgia. I called the postal service again and raised hell, and finally, I checked my tracking number again yesterday and found out that the package finally got processed out of Alanta and is currently passing thru Little Rock. So, it's finally on the way and maybe I will get it in a couple of three days from now. We will see.

So, the post office has had it for over a month. I could have delivered it to my address on horseback by now. At least it didn't get stolen. But I really didn't think I would ever see them arrive, and of course, they have not arrived, just yet. We will see.
NRA Life Member, Patron
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Latest update.
After the claim, and two appeal denials, and contacting my congressman's office, USPS finally notified me they are settling my claim. Not fully, as for whatever reason they're withholding $23. from the total for insurance, shipping, and the value of my claim? That amount happens to be the cost of insurance, and the extra paid for an "over length" package. I guess I could understand not being paid back for insurance, but the over length charge should have been paid. Oh well, I should be happy they even paid the claim I guess.
I don't think my congressman's "help" did much, as they simply contacted USPS and was told the same thing they told me. And when my appeal was denied after giving proof of value, they asked me to show them what I sent USPS, and replied that it should have been enough for USPS?
I got two letters stating my claim was denied, and appeal was denied, but after getting the denial letter on my 2nd appeal it still showed at their web site that the appeal was under consideration. Then this morning it said the claim was approved for the lesser amount.
I wont use USPS again, unless it's something of small value. And as for guns, I'll sell them locally, and no longer ship any guns via any of the various carriers. I've had my fill of poor service, or no service.
Now we'll see how long it takes for them to actually mail me a check.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Surprise in the mail yesterday. The check from USPS arrived for my claim. No explanation of why they withheld part of the shipping cost, but I'm just glad they paid almost all of it!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Whew!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I keep hoping every time I see this subject that somehow they've found the rifle and delivered it. Alas, not to be I guess.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Griff wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:58 pm I keep hoping every time I see this subject that somehow they've found the rifle and delivered it. Alas, not to be I guess.
I still hope it eventually shows up. But I'm also concerned, and wonder if it does show up later, will it end up going to a USPS salvage auction as some recovered items do, or will they offer it back to me before auctioning it off? I'd gladly give their money back for the insurance as I sold it to my friend for less than half of it's value, and insured it for that price. So to pay them back, and get it back would be the best outcome for this fiasco. Then we'd just have to figure out how he can get it, and not ship it through any of the big three carriers!
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I had a rifle stolen by USPS several years ago. It last showed scanned in Pittsburgh, then just disappeared in the system. The Postal Inspector I spoke to agreed it had been stolen by a postal employee, but it's never been found.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

JB wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:57 pm I had a rifle stolen by USPS several years ago. It last showed scanned in Pittsburgh, then just disappeared in the system. The Postal Inspector I spoke to agreed it had been stolen by a postal employee, but it's never been found.
I was told by a friend who has worked at USPS for over 3 decades that the employees are told to never admit a package was "stolen" anymore. They will only admit it's lost now.
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

I have been burned by USPS a couple times. Once when shipping some expensive knives.

No matter how much insurance you pay for, IF they admit the package is lost you will only be paid on the basis of your purchase price for the item(s) lost. So if you 'bought low' and 'sold high' you will still only be reimbursed for your purchase price. And you have to produce the paid receipts showing exactly what you paid. So buying $500 of USPS insurance to ship items that cost you $200 is ill advised. Because the USPS is only going to reimburse you $200. And that will only be after they deny your claim and your appeal at least twice. I know this from personal experience.

In this case, the lost package contained a gift. I had purchased $300 of USPS insurance. After getting my Congressman's office involved, the USPS finally agreed to reimburse me $155. No explanation for the difference. And the entire escapade took six months. I might have been better off if the box contained items that I had sold for $300, as then I would have had receipts and invoices to show the value.

USPS Package Insurance is a rip off. Overpriced, unfair, clearly sold to profit USPS.
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams