Don’t see these much anymore

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Don’t see these much anymore

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

They were in my deer blind.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Don’t see these much anymore

Post by Nath »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:35 pm They were in my deer blind.
What are they please?
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
TANGO 4C
Levergunner

Post by TANGO 4C »

Nath wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:38 pm
What are they please?

Just a guess . . . Ringtails, a racoon relative.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Coati....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

No, you're right, Scott.
They are ringtail cats; coatis are much larger animals. There are significant populations of ringtails around NM, specifically around Ft. Sumner and Vaughn. My game camera in my driveway picked up a picture of one several months ago.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Ringtail. But they are more like a weasel than a coon. We also called them a civet cat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

What purpose does your hunting serve? I thought they were good mousers and not much of a nuisance. Pelts?
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

We had lots of them at Oliver Lee State Park south of Alamogordo — think White Sands National Park. Highly nocturnal and prone to scampering about on peoples’ RVs during the night. They were sometimes called “miner’s’ cats” especially in the silver boom days in Colorado because they weren’t hard to make pets out of and they helped keep mice and rats out scarce supplies of flour …
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Tycer wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:47 pm
What purpose does your hunting serve? I thought they were good mousers and not much of a nuisance. Pelts?
It would be nice if we could live in harmony with all of God’s creatures. But it really doesn’t work out that way. We have pests snakes and vermin and this falls under the latter category.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I hope that in the new world I have a thousand fox's to look after. The smell will be amazing!
Until then though thems a pest.

Within 10days more will arrive. Has done for the past 35 years.
IMG_20220909_220606.jpg
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I'm trying to be sensitive to other folks who don't see things the way I do. As a lifelong rancher, I have a different point of view.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Same here.
Everyone has a heart, right up to the point something has killed their chicken's, lambs or piglets. Then they call me!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

To hell with the cats! I'll take the Ruger! It's a .45 Colt isn't it Scott? I had a seven and a half incher that I put one of those Ruger brass grip frames on many years ago. Sold it, of course, genius that I am. I love those old models.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

When an animal is destroying property, it moves across a line from just a part of nature to a pest. I understand not killing without reason, but I also understand stopping a destructive pest when you might not be able to be around enough to permanently scare it off.

I know Tycer, and he was concerned that Scott might have killed something which might have been better left alone. Sometimes we misunderstand each other, but I am glad that the largest portion of us on here are adult enough to not take things the wrong way without some further questions. Seems to me that Scott just stopped a destructive pest, even if it was an uncommon one.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Catshooter wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:41 pm To hell with the cats! I'll take the Ruger! It's a .45 Colt isn't it Scott? I had a seven and a half incher that I put one of those Ruger brass grip frames on many years ago. Sold it, of course, genius that I am. I love those old models.
That's right. It is in .45 Colt and it has overly tight chamber throats that makes seating a .454 diameter 270SAA more challenging. But it shoots so good that I don't want to mess with anything! I have been shooting this gun so much that I don't remember cocking it, though I had to do that twice.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

piller wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:11 pm When an animal is destroying property, it moves across a line from just a part of nature to a pest. I understand not killing without reason, but I also understand stopping a destructive pest when you might not be able to be around enough to permanently scare it off.

I know Tycer, and he was concerned that Scott might have killed something which might have been better left alone. Sometimes we misunderstand each other, but I am glad that the largest portion of us on here are adult enough to not take things the wrong way without some further questions. Seems to me that Scott just stopped a destructive pest, even if it was an uncommon one.
I took no offense and I hope I gave none. I'm perfectly happy to have a disagreement on this point and I value what others have to say about it. Sometimes I change my mind.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

This thread just goes to show what fine people we have on this forum. A similar thread on most others would have resulted in ill will and foul language.
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

They're fun to watch, as they seem to flow around things rather than walk. I had one around a campsite years ago that I was trying to bait with bits of sandwich just to get a better look. Either it was smarter than me (which is entirely possible), or they can teleport.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:18 am This thread just goes to show what fine people we have on this forum. A similar thread on most others would have resulted in ill will and foul language.
I love raccoons, and enjoy seeing them. But, when a really bad tempered one started showing up on my back porch, snarling at me when I tried to shoo him off, a .177 thru his head solved the problem. Worms gotta eat. :wink:

IOW, every situation is different. Judge not, and stuff. 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

There are many good people on here.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

So what do these things do that is bad?
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

They steal eggs. Hard on quail and turkeys (both of which nest on the ground). Feral housecats are probably just as bad on the bird population and they get the same treatment.

I have quail for the first time in several years and I want to see them flourish.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Oh, feral housecats. That's how I got my user name and we have a real problem with them in my town.
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

samsi wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:41 am They're fun to watch, as they seem to flow around things rather than walk. I had one around a campsite years ago that I was trying to bait with bits of sandwich just to get a better look. Either it was smarter than me (which is entirely possible), or they can teleport.
They flow thru the trees as well.-----------J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!