the Metric System

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

the Metric System

Post by AJMD429 »

This was the kind of a cute short video. Almost enough to make me start liking the metric system...

https://youtube.com/shorts/H_XqjJzZMa0?feature=share
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Re: the Metric System

Post by 765x53 »

Using both systems and converting back and forth isn't that difficult but, I'll never think in Celsius.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

There are two types of countries; those that use the metric system, and those that have landed men on the moon.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

JimT wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:09 pm There are two types of countries; those that use the metric system, and those that have landed men on the moon.
Nope . . . :)

https://ukma.org.uk/why-metric/myths/me ... -landings/

https://science.nasa.gov/science-news/s ... metricmoon
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Did any of you guys actually watch the short little video...?

It was really more gun humor than a debate about the metric system.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Yessir .. I did.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Medication is measured in the metric system. It is easy to use the metric system for weight and length on humans and their medicines.
I can use both systems pretty much without thinking about it. I am sure AJMD429 uses both systems.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

piller wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:56 am Medication is measured in the metric system. It is easy to use the metric system for weight and length on humans and their medicines.
I can use both systems pretty much without thinking about it. I am sure AJMD429 uses both systems.
Yeah since organic chemistry involved measuring weight in grams and milligrams and kilograms, and volume in milliliters and liters, and length in meters, centimeters, millimeters, and microns, it all got easy to visualize, plus the math is so easy since it is just moving decimal points.

It’s kind of ironic that the United States would rebel and use the British system which they have since abandoned.

oldAG
Levergunner

Post by oldAG »

AJMD429 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:30 am
Yeah since organic chemistry involved measuring weight in grams and milligrams and kilograms, and volume in milliliters and liters, and length in meters, centimeters, millimeters, and microns, it all got easy to visualize, plus the math is so easy since it is just moving decimal points.

It’s kind of ironic that the United States would rebel and use the British system which they have since abandoned.
But the monetary system is "metric". Did get some of the way there.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Yes, I watched it.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Most laboratory units are in metric. Such as mass per volume (concentration). Makes dilutions and computations more simple. I’m still used to everyday distance and weights the Imperial way. Volume I can go either way metric makes sense but you would have to change a lot of road signs
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Slowly add the metric equivalent in a smaller sign. Start on the Interstate Highways. A generation or two and it will be established. Besides, most military veterans currently understand estimating range in meters. Most vehicles now use metric nuts and bolts. It could be done.
I started learning the metric system in Sixth grade back in 1976.
D. Brian Casady
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

yeah, it's no big deal until you try to navigate without using degrees of arc. which are not metric. and so far i have never seen a sextant sight reduction form that could be solved with the metric system. in fact, there is no way to tell time based on the metric system is there? clocks are the way they are because they are relating the turning of the earth about an axis, like the clock hands going about an axis. same thing with a magnetic compass, right? even sun time with a stick in the ground has no need for the metric system. because, i think, we don't measure angles with the metric system. not that i've read anywhere any way.

however, i have metric wrenches and non metric wrenches. there is no benefit either way, just find the socket that fits, and the bolt that fits the heli-coil. kilometers are more or less useless to me. nautical miles are based on the circumference of the earth. all organic stuff. i think of some fluid volumes in terms of liters sometimes, but other times the question is, is the water supply full or not. the position of every navigation star and the sun and moon and several planets are meticulously published in almanacs that provide their exact location in the sky. Along with a sextant to measure the angle between the horizon and a couple of those objects right now, your position right then can be computed. none of which, to my knowledge, admittedly minuscule, is or can be done with the metric system.

So I'm not knocking the metric system, I just ain't got much use for it. LOL fun stuff, Eh?
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

I spent eighteen years formulating colors in grams then using the percentages to calculate the kettle charge in pounds. Then I spent twenty years converting mills to microns and back again to calculate copper and chrome plating thickness. (25.4 microns = 1 mill)
Americans in industrial and technical jobs use both systems.

Then we all know this guy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwGrC0KicSo
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

twice during Dad's career as a commercial pilot the FAA ""experts"" told American pilots to use the metric system for all their weight and balance calculations. And both times the fatal accidents caused the FAA to repent. Trying to fix something that's not broken can getcha killed.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Forcing a sudden change when it should be gradual can cause big trouble in anything.
D. Brian Casady
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Each system has its own downside. Neither is perfect. It's easy to ignore the downsides in the system one prefers. The years I lived in Mozambique, everything is metric. I got along with it ok but sometimes it was a pain.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Then there is the appropriate use of both systems. The ubiquitous yellow plastic dippers in cubic centimetres get translated to quite useful 7,000 to the pound grains with the lee slide card or chart in the loading manual.

Laboratory sample tubes graduated in c.c. are of great utility for muzzleloading. Just guesstimating 15 grains to the c.c. gets you practically as close as weighing.

I have bought several examples from this seller.....

https://www.ebay.com/sch/jesuslives2sav ... pg=&_from=
m.A.g.a. !
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Ray wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:29 am Then there is the appropriate use of both systems. The ubiquitous yellow plastic dippers in cubic centimetres get translated to quite useful 7,000 to the pound grains with the lee slide card or chart in the loading manual.
The original Lee dippers were red and numbered .. like 035. They came packaged together and there was a slide chart with all the then-available powders and how much each dipper threw. I still have mine that I bought back in the early '60's and still use it now and again.
IMG_3816.JPG
IMG_3817.JPG
IMG_3818.JPG
IMG_3820.JPG
No converting needed! :lol:

EDIT: PS .. I like those tubes that guy on Ebay has. But for Black Powder I prefer metal to plastic. I use a 30-30 case with the appropriate powder charge and a slip-on pencil eraser for a cap. Carry those in the possibles bag and makes for quick reloading.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

JimT wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:49 am
Ray wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:29 am Then there is the appropriate use of both systems. The ubiquitous yellow plastic dippers in cubic centimetres get translated to quite useful 7,000 to the pound grains with the lee slide card or chart in the loading manual.
The original Lee dippers were red and numbered .. like 035. They came packaged together and there was a slide chart with all the then-available powders and how much each dipper threw. I still have mine that I bought back in the early '60's and still use it now and again.

IMG_3816.JPG

IMG_3817.JPG

IMG_3818.JPG

IMG_3820.JPG

No converting needed! :lol:

EDIT: PS .. I like those tubes that guy on Ebay has. But for Black Powder I prefer metal to plastic. I use a 30-30 case with the appropriate powder charge and a slip-on pencil eraser for a cap. Carry those in the possibles bag and makes for quick reloading.
I have both the old and the new Lee dippers. They are slightly different in volume. Between the two sets, you can usually find a volume that is very close to the charge you need.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Grizz wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:16 pm... i have never seen a sextant sight reduction form that could be solved with the metric system. in fact, there is no way to tell time based on the metric system is there?... nautical miles are based on the circumference of the earth.
Actually, as originally proposed and (briefly) implemented, there was a metric calendar, clock, and degree. The kilometer was defined as 1/100 of a metric degree along the face of the earth, analogous to the nautical mile. The metric degree is still used under the name gradian.