Correct spelling of Marshal by Cimarron firearms

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
trooper joe
Levergunner 2.0

Correct spelling of Marshal by Cimarron firearms

Post by trooper joe »

I just sent this message to the editorial staff of "Guns of the Old West" reference their review : Cimarron Indian Territory US Marshall 1873 Carbine (Fall issue of Guns of the Old West)

......."It appears that whoever edited this article does not know the proper spelling of Marshal (It not only was spelled wrong in the article, Marshall instead of the correct spelling Marshal with one “L” instead of two, but also by Cimarron where it was actually misspelled on the gun).

It should be noted that Cimarron did correct their on line add for this gun (I wonder if they are correcting the spelling on the guns?).

It would be nice to be offered a refund for this Fall issue with this defect......"

I sent them an additional message as follows:

....."I just noticed that the author of this article, Frank Jardim, needs to research why the toggle link action of the model 73 was never suitable for the 44 Magnum. His statement that the .44 Magnum will chamber in a 45 Colt firearm, makes absolutely no sense in this discussion.

He also states that Mike Harvey was encouraged by a suggestion originally made by a US Marshall. I submit that it was probably suggested by a US Marshal (with one “L”).

He really looses all credibility in writing this article....."

I would be very interested in this rifle but not with this defect.

Trooper Joe
Trooper Joe
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Correct spelling of Marshal by Cimarron firearms

Post by GunnyMack »

Ya know, its my feeling that ' editors ' really do not proof read anymore. You can pick up any magazine and easily find errors in the content. Some folks write in and you'll see a correction in later issues- sometimes! Seems like they 'proof read ' via spell check...
What gets me is these people are supposed to be professional EXPERTS ( hate that term) but I see mistakes, im not an English scholar but I remember enough about grammar & punctuation to see those mistakes. Those mistakes remove credibility from the author, editor and the publication.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Eye have a spelling checker
It came with my PC
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks I cannot sea
I ran this poem threw it
I'm sure your glad to no
Its letter perfect in its weigh
my checker tolled me sew
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

SPEAKING OF EDITING,
on line add for this gun
He really looses all credibility in writing this article.....
you're welcome
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

Am I understanding correct that someone who claims to be some knowledgeable authority on the subject said you can chamber a 44mag in a 45 Colt chamber?? Yeah it will fit in the hole just like a 40 S&W will fit in a 45 Auto hole.... 🤦🏼‍♂️

And the simple answer on the 44mag in a '73 is energy... Plain and simple. They aren't suitable for "Ruger" level 45 Colt either
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Good poem!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

https://youtu.be/zfh_7LQBwMM

I have one of these that is marked on the barrel .44 Special but it is chambered for and fires .44 Magnum ammunition.
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

A very generous throat in that rifle??

I wouldn't run even moderate 44mag in any 1873. Thats just me. The modern repros are claimed to be made from stronger modern materials, but that only gets you so far.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

New RifleShooter showed up today, article about America's Big Bores has a chart showing the 450 Marlin uses a .429 bullet, the 450 Bushmaster uses a .458... another editor NOT doing their job!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
trooper joe
Levergunner 2.0

Post by trooper joe »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:25 pm https://youtu.be/zfh_7LQBwMM

I have one of these that is marked on the barrel .44 Special but it is chambered for and fires .44 Magnum ammunition.
Is the inscribed “Marshal” on the gun spelled with two “L’s” or the correct one “L” ?

TrooperJoe
Trooper Joe
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

RIDERED350r wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:34 pm A very generous throat in that rifle??

I wouldn't run even moderate 44mag in any 1873. Thats just me. The modern repros are claimed to be made from stronger modern materials, but that only gets you so far.
Nope, it was actually chambered for the .44 Magnum cartridge. But I think they found in testing that it would not stand up to a great number of .44 magnum loads. It will definitely stand up to Keith's heavy .44 Special loads.
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:24 pm
RIDERED350r wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:34 pm A very generous throat in that rifle??

Nope, it was actually chambered for the .44 Magnum cartridge. But I think they found in testing that it would not stand up to a great number of .44 magnum loads. It will definitely stand up to Keith's heavy .44 Special loads.
Gotcha. I could see heavy specials being generally OK. I'd be curious to see their findings from testing with mags.

I have a Uberti 1876 Centennial in 45-60 and keep the loads mild with AA5744. It's a barrel of fun to shoot 🙂 Just got it last December and hope to have a successful hunt with it this year
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

trooper joe wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:22 pm

Is the inscribed “Marshal” on the gun spelled with two “L’s” or the correct one “L” ?

TrooperJoe
I don't know, but I will look at it tomorrow and post a photo of any such marking. I don't recall it actually having the word Marshal on it.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

RIDERED350r wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:59 am Am I understanding correct that someone who claims to be some knowledgeable authority on the subject said you can chamber a 44mag in a 45 Colt chamber?? Yeah it will fit in the hole just like a 40 S&W will fit in a 45 Auto hole.... 🤦🏼‍♂️

And the simple answer on the 44mag in a '73 is energy... Plain and simple. They aren't suitable for "Ruger" level 45 Colt either

Yes, you CAN chamber a .44 magnum in a .45 Colt.

No one recommended firing it. It was a warning ⚠️
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

My Uberti Russian top break is marked. 44 Russian and will chamber a .44 Special. They use the same cylinder.
All of my .44 Russian reloading info (Accurate #2 manual) is limited at .44 Special levels.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

One “L”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

vancelw wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:03 pm

My Uberti Russian top break is marked. 44 Russian and will chamber a .44 Special. They use the same cylinder.
All of my .44 Russian reloading info (Accurate #2 manual) is limited at .44 Special levels.
I have a S&W First Model Double Action that isn’t marked anything but by all accounts is a 44 Russian. It will easily chamber 300gr 44 mags! Will probably fire it….once!
trooper joe
Levergunner 2.0

Post by trooper joe »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:48 pm One “L”
Scott,

It looks like your rifle had the correct spelling of Marshal. I called Cimarron yesterday and they advised the incorrect spelling of (Marshall) only occurred on their first batch of these rifles.

Here is a photo of the one featured in the Fall issue of Guns of the Old West.

Trooper Joe
Trooper Joe
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I'm not telling anyone what to do. Most of my .44 Special shooting is with a 240-255 gr bullet over 7.5 gr of Unique.

But I will run 16 gr of 2400 behind a 250 gr Keith bullet in my sixguns (just under 1200 fps). This reportedly runs under 22,000 cup and I think that a SAA in good shape can handle this indefinitely. This is knocking on .44 Magnum territory for factory loads these days. [It's funny because Keith wanted nothing more than a 250 gr bullet at 1200 fps in a factory load. He thought the initial .44 Magnum was loaded too hot. It looks like he finally got his wish.].

The same charge behind a 240 gr XTP runs fine through my carbine (which simply will not feed the Keith bullet). I don't think I am stressing the gun in any way and I imagine the bullet will do well as it is designed to expand at 900 plus fps.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

RIDERED350r wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:59 am Am I understanding correct that someone who claims to be some knowledgeable authority on the subject said you can chamber a 44mag in a 45 Colt chamber?? Yeah it will fit in the hole just like a 40 S&W will fit in a 45 Auto hole.... 🤦🏼‍♂️

You mean to tell me that a firearm designed for black powder pressure levels cannot handle three times the pressure that it was designed to handle??? Why not? :lol: :lol: :lol:
No, I would never want to see an 1873 with a .44 Mag chamber. Sooner or later the action would be ruined. Why ruin a smooth design by over stressing it?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

We might just find out that these guns work just fine as is and don't need to be pushed that hard.
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:31 pm We might just find out that these guns work just fine as is and don't need to be pushed that hard.
I'm in complete agreement with that. Want more horsepower? Move to a different platform that can safely run it
Levergunitis
Levergunner

Post by Levergunitis »

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Most people with a .44 Magnum anything seem to want to use it at magnum levels. How long do those 73s handle even current factory level .44 Magnum loads? Seriously, the toggle link does not appear to be as strong as a 92 action.
D. Brian Casady
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

Levergunitis wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:47 pm Hate to tell ya but....
https://taylorsfirearms.com/1873-carbine-44mag.html
I just stumbled across that for the very first time just a couple days ago. I'm quite surprised by that.

I'm still remain unconvinced it's a good idea though. Rossi at one time offered their R92 in 454 Casull but production was short lived due to issues that arise because the 454 is just too energetic for even a 92 action. But, I've heard rumors they have recently reintroduced their R92 in 454. I wonder if they have come up with a solution, possible in stronger materials?
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I kind of fall in the camp of wanting things to last a long time. If I decide to get a really powerful levergun cartridge, then the BHA .50 S&W would be a really good idea. That platform seems to be built to handle more than the .50 S&W can put out.
The toggle link action is slick and smooth. Why stress it? Not everything needs to be killed by obliterating it.
D. Brian Casady
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

8 gr of Unique and this gun will likely last longer than I will.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.