30-30 Carbine Day

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

30-30 Carbine Day

Post by Drawdown »

Been a while since I'd shot anything other than my bow, so I finally took my 94 carbine to check the final zero with the load I'll use in it for hunting. This time of year a spider web shield is a life saver here, webs will torment you now, along with the mosquitoes. This rig takes care the webs completely.
20220829_092559.jpg
20220829_102207.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Re: 30-30 Carbine Day

Post by Drawdown »

20220829_102558.jpg
20220829_103214.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

I'd only shot this rifle a few times, and only 3 shots with this load, and I want to verify my zero with it, shooting off hand. Had to raise elevator one notch, and go left slightly, but I'm happy with it now. I'm using 170gr Hawk Bullet with LVR Powder at aprox 2200fps in Win Brass. I'm confident it'll do the job well for woods hunting shooting off-hand which most always means inside 75yds usually less!
20220829_134218.jpg
20220829_134309.jpg

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

20220829_103741.jpg

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Nice looking rifle !
----- Doug
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Cool web buster! good shooting & a nice Winchester AND beautiful country!

ollogger
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Thanks men they both will get the job done!

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Since I was a kid, I have accumulated what I could of old Winchesters in every model and chambering that interested me. When I was young, that was everything that wasn't a 94 in 30-30.
Now that I'm older, its almost all I use. Maybe that's why they made 7 million of em. Look at all the money and trouble I could have saved myself. What an idiot I am. :D

Looks like a good day. The old 94 carbine can't be beat.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

OldWin wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:49 am Since I was a kid, I have accumulated what I could of old Winchesters in every model and chambering that interested me. When I was young, that was everything that wasn't a 94 in 30-30.
Now that I'm older, its almost all I use. Maybe that's why they made 7 million of em. Look at all the money and trouble I could have saved myself. What an idiot I am. :D

Looks like a good day. The old 94 carbine can't be beat.
I think maybe the real truth is in your elderly wisdom, you've learned to settle upon the simplest, best tool for your needs! I can give a very like story, just different circumstances. I think maybe the real truth is, "The journey is what it was all about anyway, the cost, just provided more experience, learning along the way, thus, you're sure by experience, what you want and need!
The 45-60 thread (great thread) got me reading a little more about Tom Horn, a favorite subject! Before his arrest, he'd settled upon a Mod 94 in 30-30. I don't believe he killed that boy, but just my opinion! But he knew as well as anyone his best rifle for his needs, he'd tried everything available pretty much up to that point!

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Just an example, I've come to a well tested and really good conclusion for my hunting season, which ironically here in my part of the state, is a one buck only during firearms season, + one doe by bow or crossbow, Total.
But I have 3 of what I consider perfect for me and the terrain I'm gonna hunt. An old but gold wood & blued Tikka 30-06 Bolt Action, a Mod 64 30-30, and the Mod 94 Carbine. All 3 would serve me perfectly on any given day, according to how I hunt! Now I consider them money well spent, wouldn't trade em for nothing!
Last summer I came upon a dandy used Model 700 Rem in 270, had never had one, always wanted one, all the hype over them I well know. Now, apart from $, I'd gladly trade it for either of the other 3, but wish I'd never bought it! That's one the few guns I ever bought, that really I didn't need whatsoever! But it ain't the first, but I bet it'll be the last!
I'm not downing the Rem or the 270, Lotta of em here, and I also have couple others, a Marlin 336, 7.62x54, and a 30-06 Auto Rem, but they are 2nd choices!

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yeah. If it makes you feel better, I have guns I've had for 30 years and never fired. I think at last count I have 13 30-30s. I really enjoy many of the others.....38-55, 38-40, 44-40, 32-40, 45-70, 45-90, and on and on.
The 30-30 and 32WS are just easy. Guess it's laziness, not wisdom. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Love that web sucker. Looks like it'll do a much better job than mine, a tobacco stick stuck down the front framework.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Crusty, I've used the straight sticks jammed in there also. But this'll, ride thru overhanging branches, just flexes over go right back in place, never got a single web on me! What a relief!
8553e73bcfc006e54ae0e0d1bb019df6.jpg

"Better drawdown Alvin!"