Jammed Remington Model 34 .22

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mran1126
Levergunner 1.0

Jammed Remington Model 34 .22

Post by mran1126 »

Just need some advice. I've had this Model 34 for 65 years and never a problem. Let my wife shoot it the other day and she was able to get a cartridge jammed. Nothing moves and wondered if anyone had a similar experience. I know there are 2 pins in the carrier that can be punched out to remove it. But not sure if they punch out from left to right or right to left. Rather not take it to a gunsmith if I can fix it myself. Thanks for any advice.
20220829_161647.jpg
20220829_162121.jpg
20220829_161302.jpg
20220829_162402.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Jammed Remington Model 34 .22

Post by ollogger »

To me it looks like the case is not fully in the chamber? can you push it in?

Brad
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

My 34 is prone to jamming if i dont keep it clean and oiled every 2 or 3 hundred rounds or so, and work the bolt with authority. Ive not been delicate in dealing with these jams, and will give it a good smack with a dowel to persuade it. Looks like the primed end is in contact and round is not fully chambered so smacking may be contraindicated. Ive never had to remove the bolt to fix a jam, i forgive these jams due to the wonderful accuracy. I originaly bought it when the kids were little i was gonna cut the stock, when i got it home there was not a scratch on it so no cutting.
mran1126
Levergunner 1.0

Post by mran1126 »

Thanks for your replies. Case seems a little tight, but I'll try pushing it in tomorrow. This is the first jam I've ever had in this rifle. I know you can take the lifter out if you knock out a couple of pins,,but I'd rather not do that,,,,,,,I'll play around with it a little more,,thanks again.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

ollogger wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:26 pm To me it looks like the case is not fully in the chamber? can you push it in?

Brad
If your ammo is old enough to show lines of grey lead oxide around the knurling this will happen.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

When driving pins the rule of thumb is
Go RIGHT in
or you'll be
LEFT out.

New or old ammo? I have a sneaking suspicion that we will see bad ammo as the manufacturers have had to train new people post covid as the plants really get back into production. Hope not...

As was mentioned, give it a good cleaning .
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
mran1126
Levergunner 1.0

Post by mran1126 »

Thanks guys. It was actually older ammo,,,,,,I haven't had time to try to push it back in yet,,,,,I can't figure out how it ended up like this. Just a little out of the chamber. I'll probably have time to mess with it this weekend..,,I was hoping that I wouldn't have to knock those pins out,,,,and I'm assuming that if I did that, the carrier would be removable.