To restore or not? Can't decide.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

To restore or not? Can't decide.

Post by 2ndovc »

I've never had anything restored/ re-blued, but the thought keeps coming up.

Another one of my grandfather's Winchesters that I've had for twenty years or so. The outside of this .44-40 isn't terrible, but the bore looks like a sewer pipe. All is does is sit in the rack and look nice with the others, but I don't think I've shot it again since I first got it. As much as I hate to alter an original, I know I'd shoot it a heck of a lot more if I could actually hit something past 20 yards.

Thoughts?

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Re: To restore or not? Can't decide.

Post by Rockrat »

Too nice looking to just sit on the wall. I would get it re-lined and enjoy shooting it. Leave everything else alone.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Rockrat wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:39 am Too nice looking to just sit on the wall. I would get it re-lined and enjoy shooting it. Leave everything else alone.
+1
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I had a circa 1906ish 1894TD that had a sewer pipe barrel . When loaded with jacketed it would cut cloverleafs at 50 yards using open sights .

Granted that was a few years back and I could see a lot better .

As to restore I wouldn't but thats me .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Well it's a beautiful rifle as is, especially being families! But to my way thinking, lot more meaningful to do what's needed to get it back in the field! And I think most Grandpa's would feel the same! In their times, gun collections didn't exist much, but one or two good rifles done it all! Let it live on!
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'm of the "I don't shoot ugly guns" group. If it were mine, I'd be looking at getting it restored. I've used a couple of my guns enough that they looked like antiques, and have had them redone back to their former glory. I've also done the D-I-Y thing on a couple to bring them partially back. I still have to finish polishing my 1894 Marlin before it goes out for refinishing.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I agree with others who suggest relining it, but not changing anything else. With so much family history lost with a restoration I would never want to not retain it's current appeal. But making it a great shooter wont hurt anything at this point.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

marlinman93 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:19 pm I agree with others who suggest relining it, but not changing anything else. With so much family history lost with a restoration I would never want to not retain it's current appeal. But making it a great shooter wont hurt anything at this point.

This.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Rockrat wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:39 am Too nice looking to just sit on the wall. I would get it re-lined and enjoy shooting it. Leave everything else alone.
IMO this is excellent advice.
It's an heirloom, so I can't imagine resale value is a concern.
The thought of it being used down the generations, however, is priceless. I would definitely get a re-line.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

yup, re-line.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

I think its gorgeous as is and rebluing would make it ugly. Another vote for relining or rebarreling.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Re-line the bore

OR if you really wanted to go full tilt, send it to Turnbull for new wood, polish, blue, case harden etc.

I'd do the bore and start shooting it.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks Guys.

Having it relined is the direction I was leaning, though it wouldn't just be a re-blue but a Turnbull style restoration.

So, big question is; who to send it to for relining?

jb 8)

4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

could try J E S RIFLE REBORING , pretty sure I've seen that name on this site numerous times, good luck!
Rumble.com/ hickock45
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Oldncrusty
I think its gorgeous as is and rebluing would make it ugly. Another vote for relining or rebarreling.
Now there is an option I would also consider...... rebarrel and save the original so that if future generations want to put it back to 100% original they can ! I am on the fence as to which way, probably leaning on a new barrel so someone could go back if they wanted to.

Sure is a awesome looking rifle and with so much family history the depth that gives , wish I had something like that in my family :mrgreen: with envy
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

marlinman93 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:19 pm I agree with others who suggest relining it, but not changing anything else. With so much family history lost with a restoration I would never want to not retain it's current appeal. But making it a great shooter wont hurt anything at this point.
Same here.

I have a Marlin 1889 and 32-20 that I would like to get relined at some point. Have a modern one that I can shoot Auto loads in, but it would be nice to get the old one some time at the range or hunting.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Another vote for reline and keep everything else as original as possible. An inaccurate gun is pretty much just a piece of art. Not that this isn't enough for some guns, but to be able to take your grandfather's gun and get it ready for your grandchildren to actually shoot and enjoy someday? That is priceless!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Reboring to a .32 Win. Special might be possible, but not sure whoever would do so could follow the rifling twist exactly, and get it right. So might mean it would need to go larger than .32 to get a new bore. That would mean it would also need a new carrier if it went to say .38-55, and not sure I'd want to alter the gun that much.
Reline is still the best option, and there are numerous gunsmiths who can do so and do it well.
Where are you located? That will help in determining someone close to do this reline.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

what about soaking the barrel with some substance that could loosen lead and copper but leave the steel alone. is there such a thing? i think i read about that kind of treatment on this forum, or the old old old marlin forum, but don't recall any details. . .

relining is a good repair and extends the life indefinitely . . . glad you have that history .. .
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jason, as others have said, leave the exterior as is -- with so much character -- and send the barrel to this talented gentleman for relining:
Bobby Hoyt
Freischutz Shop
2379 Mt Hope Rd
Fairfield, PA 17320
ph# 717-642-6696
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks Bill, I will give him a call.

Grizz,
It's not that there's stuff down there, it's that there's little bits missing. It has an inch or two of perfect bore, then great big divots and gaps.
Hard to explain, but I'm betting it was fired with some BP ammo back in the day and not cleaned properly. On top of that, my grandfather stored most of his guns in a not so dry basement. Some of his rifles were badly rusted and pitted.

jb 8)

lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

If your Grandfather were still using it, what would he do? I never met the man, obviously, but his generation sure put function over anything else. I am betting he would have it relined and brought back to shooting straight. And that is what I would do for sure. I doubt your Grandfather had much use for an inaccurate game getter.
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

with what 6ptSitka said above -- i would put a box through it for fun to see what it does first off some sandbags (oof - just re-read your original post where you said it wouldnt hit anything past 20 yards - gotcha )

If it shoots fine , id leave it alone but if its throwing out buckshot patterns -- well, everyone else has given you great advice on re-lining it.

Regarding just re-lining it or having a Turnbull style restoration performed -- thats a tough one. Personally i like bling more than patina but its only original the one time

ITs pretty in its own way but Turnbull does amazing work -- usually the thought process is most "restoration" jobs wipe out a lot of a gun's intrinsic value , but to me , the work of a name high end outfit like Turnbull, Bowen (there are a few others) can actually increase the value.
----- Doug
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

vancelw wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:52 am
+1
+2 :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

Blaine wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:17 pm
vancelw wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:52 am
+1
+2 :idea:
+3
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Streetstar wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:48 am with what 6ptSitka said above -- i would put a box through it for fun to see what it does first off some sandbags (oof - just re-read your original post where you said it wouldnt hit anything past 20 yards - gotcha )

If it shoots fine , id leave it alone but if its throwing out buckshot patterns -- well, everyone else has given you great advice on re-lining it.

Regarding just re-lining it or having a Turnbull style restoration performed -- thats a tough one. Personally i like bling more than patina but its only original the one time

ITs pretty in its own way but Turnbull does amazing work -- usually the thought process is most "restoration" jobs wipe out a lot of a gun's intrinsic value , but to me , the work of a name high end outfit like Turnbull, Bowen (there are a few others) can actually increase the value.
Right there is the dilemma. A real, Turnbull (etc) style restoration, not just a "Billy Bob" re-blue is the thought I keep having. Either option will set it up for any future generation to use or hang on the wall, but for me and whatever time I have left on this planet it would having, not only something very special, but useful as well.

A little background on my grandfather. He had his working guns, but this 92 and several others were simply part of a pretty random collection. My grandmother had given a couple of his rifles/ shotguns to his friends mostly the everyday farm guns, and I got the rest, The Model 94 and 95 that he did use, I have as well and they will stay just as they are, worn but 100% functional. His Colt, Official Police that was in his nightstand will always be here. My mom always said, grandpa would only buy something that he thought was a good deal. Didn't matter if it was guns, trucks, tractors or another nearby farm he could add to his own.

So, it was one of my grandpa's Winchesters, but not one that had any sentimental value for him or put food on the table. Most likely, he bought it at a yard sale a half decade ago, never looked down the bore and put it in the closet with the others. This would be a project just for me with a classic '92 in a great caliber that I'd be able to shoot and walk some trails again with a little connection to the past.

Anyway, I appreciate the thoughts and feedback.

jb 8)

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I'd reline it so that it would be useful again. Pretty isn't that important to me, but function is.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

2ndovc wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:46 am [

So, it was one of my grandpa's Winchesters, but not one that had any sentimental value for him or put food on the table. Most likely, he bought it at a yard sale a half decade ago, never looked down the bore and put it in the closet with the others. This would be a project just for me with a classic '92 in a great caliber that I'd be able to shoot and walk some trails again with a little connection to the past.

Anyway, I appreciate the thoughts and feedback.

jb 8)

Now that you put it that way - if it were mine it would be on the way to one of those guys for the full "Beauty Shop Treatment" - you probably wouldnt see it again for 2 years and it would cost 3k, but man

And here's where i possibly get blasphemous --- If a re-line is needed anyway, i'd inquire about bumping it up to .45 Colt as well as doing a TD conversion , as i always thought takedowns were cool, even if in most cases they are a solution looking for a problem
.45 Colt is just a personal choice -- it definitely was not available in that gun back then , but i will fully admit to being a hack reloader and i have ruined too many fragile 44/40 cases to comment on

Again though , at the end of the day, nobody can tell ya how to spend your own hard earned money

Aaaaaaand -- i did not need to go to the Turnbull website. customized GP-100 at a "affordable" sort of price point. As im considering a new production Python, - this complicates things -- would be a no-brainer if it had an action job though - (Sorry for slight thread drift)

https://www.turnbullrestoration.com/gun ... -log-8887/
----- Doug
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That GP is sharp! I've been back and forth on which Python to get, the 3" or the 4". I know "both". Probably. My dad has one of the 6" versions and is planning on a 4". He shoots it and his Troopers all winter long while he's in FL. He loves Colt DAs.

I wouldn't change the caliber or do a a takedown. I have a new '73 in .45 Colt that I just love and would like a .44-40 rifle that's shootable.
Right this minute, I'm really thinking about the Full Tilt restoration. It's pricy, but doable. I'm going to have a trophy bonus check from this month's claims and it's going to get spent on the Winchester or diamonds for Blondie. :D
Either way, it's all good.

jb 8)

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

2ndovc wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:01 pm That GP is sharp! I've been back and forth on which Python to get, the 3" or the 4". I know "both". Probably. My dad has one of the 6" versions and is planning on a 4". He shoots it and his Troopers all winter long while he's in FL. He loves Colt DAs.

I wouldn't change the caliber or do a a takedown. I have a new '73 in .45 Colt that I just love and would like a .44-40 rifle that's shootable.
Right this minute, I'm really thinking about the Full Tilt restoration. It's pricy, but doable. I'm going to have a trophy bonus check from this month's claims and it's going to get spent on the Winchester or diamonds for Blondie. :D
Either way, it's all good.

jb 8)
I have my grandfather's circa 1906 Model '94 SRC. Well, well worn. Not a collector by any means but has killed many and many a deer in the hands of scores of uncles, cousins, family friends.. It has a ton of sentimental value. It also has the wear and headspace to show for all the use.
I asked Turnbull at DSC about a complete treatment and they acted like they wouldn't even talk seriously to me about it. I guess he thought I had no idea what the price tag would be, but I did. But their lack of interest is now mutual.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle