Sears/AyA Model 433 SxS

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Sears/AyA Model 433 SxS

Post by Sarge »

I picked up on an old Sears-imported AyA Model 433 12 gauge side by side, marketed elsewhere in the world as the AyA 106. These were one grade up from the basic bird gun with chopper lump barrels, Greener cross bolt & side clips. It has extractors as opposed to ejectors. Metal finish is very nice but Sears was never known for splurging on wood. I believe Sears sold the AyA 433 from about 1970-1985. So it'll handle any modern 2 3/4" shell appropriate to its chokes. Mostly it'll see bulk bird loads, though I do carry 2-3 high brass 000 buck loads in the shirt pocket of my hunting vest. This is mostly for coyotes, the odd surly bear or godless communist paratroopers. I don't think you are required to use steel shot for any of those yet.

This old shotgun tight, as in 'brand new' tight. The breechface & firing pin bushings are perfect; it could not have fired a full box of shells in its life. The barrels are stamped 'R1' indicating 1973 production. Using Federal bulk # 7 ½ field loads, it will slap a 12" section of 2x6 down hard at 40 paces with either barrel. The right is Modified, the left is a tight Full, it throws good patterns and regulation appears perfect. It was worth the 250 mile round trip in a driving rain.

People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Sears/AyA Model 433 SxS

Post by Nath »

Very nice indeed. AYA make a fine gun for sure.
8)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Classy!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Nice one!

I don't shoot my SxS as well as I do the O/U, but I think they are classy and have a unique appeal.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Looks nice.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Thank you all for the kind comments.

Over the weekend the Missus and I went out back and busted a few clays over the hayfield. This old AyA will just disintegrate clays at 30-35 yards with the Mod barrel and 10-12 yards further with the 'extra' Full barrel. I say 'extra' because the Full step on my choke gauge will only go halfway in that barrel.

My old Do-All White Wing thrower is cranked up to 'low orbit' and if you blink, the bird is 50 yards out. With this particular gun I have to push the bead right over the bird and shoot when it disappears; but once I figured that out, nothing in the air was safe. I am no great wing-shooter but this AyA is making me look almost good :D
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

That's a lovely bit of artillery you got, Sarge. I keep looking for a side by side down here, have only seen one and no paperwork for it so no go for yours truly. The Spanish make some very decent shotguns indeed. There's just something "right" about an old 12 bore side by side scattergun.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

That's the ultimate squirrel gun, especially when the leaves come off. They get on the ground, Lotta longer shot opportunities, a barrel for either! I love it! Considered a Win Mod 24SS about 10 years ago for that purpose, wish I had now.
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

As Nath said AYA make fine guns.…….congratulations.. 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Wow. Didnt know Sears sold those. Congrats. I need one just like it. Well almost, I'm a 16 or 20 guy.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Thats a keeper for sure! A little too tight on the chokes for doves but certainly good enough for peasants err pHeasants.
No, steel is not required for paratroopers!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Dang, she sure is pretty! :mrgreen:
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Thank you all.

Dove hunting here is mostly over open hayfields, with a little jump-shooting thrown in. I'm usually on a modified tube by the third day.

The stock, as it came with a hard buttplate, would have been a little long for me wearing winter clothes. With double trigger shotguns I want my finger to fall on the front trigger with the butt in the crook of my arm. I also wanted to mount a pad because humpty-dumpty shoulder is happier with one in t-shirt weather. I initially shortened the stock a tad over 1/2" and mounted a Limbsaver pad I had on hand. If/when I refinish the stock, I'll grind in a nice pad.

I finally shortened the stock the last quarter inch and remounted the pad. The gun snapped into place better, with the bead appearing exactly where it should. To test this out I put a half dozen clays on the thrower, loaded both barrels and lowered the gun to the ‘low port’ position I use when hunting. I stared down at the pedal, stepped on it and didn't look up until I heard the thrower launch- repeat six times. I snapped the gun up and smoked three with each barrel. This is exactly the 'fit' I was looking for.

I have a good neighbor, whose feed lot is over-run with pigeons and dove season opens in a week. I might be hard to find for awhile.