Texas Breakdown

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Texas Breakdown

Post by Grizz »

any experienced 4Runner mechanics,,
my 99 sr5 4wd v6 with a P0303 and stromg miss Yesterday plus 2 others of that ilk. swapped #3 coil pack to 1 and the code went with it. new coil and great expectations. But Nooo. P0306 took over the miss duty. Aargh.
Swapped in a new plug. Great expectations. But NO WAY! SAME MISS SAME P0306. So now i am fixing to replace that injector. in 100+° heat.
here's my Question. Is it possible on this 5VZFE engine to remove the plenums and fuel rail WITHOUT removing the pax side stuff? it seems feasible, but has it been done?
4Runner calling Toyota man,
+
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Re: Texas Breakdown

Post by Paladin »

Sorry, I have had 4 Runners from 1985 on and don't know the answers, never had problems.
It is not the critic who counts
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Paladin wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:45 pm Sorry, I have had 4 Runners from 1985 on and don't know the answers, never had problems.
thanks for reply. i should pack the KL250 around for a parts-Runner. Especially on the Shakedown Cruise.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Can't help with the 4Runner, but I had a KLR 650 for years. Most reliable bike I've ever owned. Still kicking myself for letting it go.
Oddly enough, I've been looking over used ones lately.
Relly wanting another one.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I dont know the answer, but Ive found the best answers to my 4runner issues here. Its been the result of numerous google searches, this was where most good info came from.

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/toyota-4runner-forum/
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Thanks for link... I read a lot of those posts all the way through the 'learning curve' . . . plus Scott and Timmy 🎵
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

KL650 sounds good. is it a lot heavier? i like how light the 250 is. im going to try to rewind the battery coil to 12v for lights. the ignition coil is ok the way it is...
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I had an early KLR, a 600cc before the 650s came out. It was a 80/20 street/off road bike in my opinion. It was pretty heavy and I didn't think the front end geometry was very good on dirt roads. I now have a Suzuki DRZ400S which doesn't have the top end of the KLR but it's much lighter and a better off road bike. Besides, it gets 65 mpg so is a very economical bike for riding at a leisurely pace. I put a 4 gallon tank on it which will take me close to 250 miles between fill ups.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

sounds good Walt. I'm happy with the small bike. I would consider a larger tank. I have a flatpack gas can i can lash on. havent done much with the bike yet but chew up weeds around the house. i might try to mobilize my road bike for a trip or two... while i maybe still can...
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

The bigger tank is why I bought the KLR. I could go 400 miles on a single fill up. I didn't think it was all that heavy, but you better be over 6' if you're going to ride one. It's tall. I've been looking at all types of bikes this summer, the bug is back big time. What I really want is a BMW 1200 GS. That one is not only heavy, but was designed by guys that are a minimum 6'3 and named Gunter! I can ride it, but really have to watch what I'm doing. That keeps leading me back to the KLR, but that single cylinder monster must have a piston the size of a coffee can!
A couple summers ago I had a Harley 1200 Sportster for about 15 minutes. I hated it and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. No offense to the HD guys, it's just not me. I've been looking at the Kawasaki Concours. Nice ride and a more comfortable riding position for me, plus they go fairly cheap. Especially the used ones.

jb 8)

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

i ride airhead BMWs. coast to coast twice on an R50. Then had an R60 for a spell. more than 50 years ago.
have a pair of R65s now... bought one for a parts bike, but as i tend to it its looking more road worthy...wondering if i could repeat my first road trip. that would be epic.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Check your compression on that cylinder. Possibly needs another coil pack. Curious if a bad cam position sensor could cause that.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

Grizz wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:07 pm any experienced 4Runner mechanics,,
my 99 sr5 4wd v6 with a P0303 and stromg miss Yesterday plus 2 others of that ilk. swapped #3 coil pack to 1 and the code went with it. new coil and great expectations. But Nooo. P0306 took over the miss duty. Aargh.
Swapped in a new plug. Great expectations. But NO WAY! SAME MISS SAME P0306. So now i am fixing to replace that injector. in 100+° heat.
here's my Question. Is it possible on this 5VZFE engine to remove the plenums and fuel rail WITHOUT removing the pax side stuff? it seems feasible, but has it been done?
4Runner calling Toyota man,
+
do a compression check, you might have a bad valve or a lifter
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Sorry your having problems bro and hope ya get it resolved soon, imo all this new tech stuff is worthless to many sensors and stuff to go wrong.
We`re having problems with this Intrepid going into limp mode, had a speed sensor code fixed that but problem is still there, i hate these kind of issues.
70`s where are you. :roll:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Grizz wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:05 pm i ride airhead BMWs. coast to coast twice on an R50. Then had an R60 for a spell. more than 50 years ago.
have a pair of R65s now... bought one for a parts bike, but as i tend to it its looking more road worthy...wondering if i could repeat my first road trip. that would be epic.
Cool!
The R50, at least to me, has to be one of the classiest bikes ever built. :D

jb 8)

Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I rode an 84 model R80RT for years but finally sold it because I had bought an R1100R which has way more power, better suspension and way better brakes. I still ride that and regularly get 52 mpg. The guy who bought the R80 came up all the way from Marfa, TX to north central NM to buy the bike. I gave the young fellow a heck of a deal for coming all that way.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

good posts... i agree with Jason... the R50 and R60 are about the classiest road bikes i know of. i didnt know that 50 years ago... LOL
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Pitchy wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:36 am Sorry your having problems bro and hope ya get it resolved soon, imo all this new tech stuff is worthless to many sensors and stuff to go wrong.
We`re having problems with this Intrepid going into limp mode, had a speed sensor code fixed that but problem is still there, i hate these kind of issues.
70`s where are you. :roll:
He's running now. Hope he gets me to see my siblings and onto the home garage. i'm seriously thinking of putting a 292 straight 6 chevy engine in it ... :)
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

2ndovc, I have never owned a Concours. They do have a dedicated following but the one negative that keeps coming up is that they are "buzzy" and the bars and pegs will put your hands and feet to sleep in short order. Second hand info so don't know if it's a real issue.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

5 hours from home, if gps dont lie. baseball on the radio. camped in deep shade at a rest shop. been getting a solid 21.5 mpg. will total around 5500 miles if i dont do any sight-seeing tomorrow.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Grizz wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:19 pm 5 hours from home, if gps dont lie. baseball on the radio. camped in deep shade at a rest shop. been getting a solid 21.5 mpg. will total around 5500 miles if i dont do any sight-seeing tomorrow.
I just realized i have never followed up on the Runner story. I did make it home in good time. The numbers for the trip were abt 5600 miles round trip and 19.6 over all fuel consumption.

I am in the process of installing a flow-matched set of injectors with a lifetime guaranty. The bank2 chicom and bank1 Jp injector scheme runs a bit rich with a hitch in the giddiup at idle. so i'm installing Motorwest performance injectors.

I have a tundra front brake set on the way, massive increase in 'whoa there', BUT i have to change wheels. The wheel i have only accommodates the stock calipers. I'm installing the truck calipers and rotors, about half again as thick as stock rotors, trying to get the brake system to equal or excel the brakes on the man-van. the new calipers have 4 pistons, which looks like a huge factor in stopping power, v.s. the single piston brakes on the Uplander with the shunting caliper. Ugh. have to re-grease those slider pins a couple times per year to maintain even pad wear. Ugh.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... S02up4nRoc

the brakes will resemble this kit except i substituted new calipers for these remans. i might paint mine red, but then there are other cool colors i'm sure, but what are they?

Now i'm on the hunt for new wheels. I have 16s, would like to find the right 16s so I could finish riding off the tread on the stock tires. I could put 17s on and use a shorter side wall to keep the clearances the same in the wheel well, but all that stuff costs what sounds to me like a LOT of gas money..... there are LOTS of wheels around as take-offs, but getting to the best ones or right ones is tricky. AND my take-offs are tricky because there is no market for them.

a discount tire guy who offroads recommends goodyear duratracs, anyone have experience with them, or have a better tire choice. I can swap my current tires onto different rims to make the brake install happen before the December road trip happens. If i get the right wheels. I suppose I can swap my tires to different rims, I saw a scheme that uses the floor jack as a bead-breaker, so a little sweat equity should get me by. Discount quoted me 110$ for installation, and then the state taxes that. So there's some actual incentive for sweating the details myself. I wonder if i could just buy the duratracs online and save some dinero?

so many options, so little time . . .

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Grizz, just have to say I so admire guys like you who know how to repair and upgrade engines and frames and make your rig go and go. My neighbor back in Alamogordo was a retired Air Force jet mechanic and he had a Four-Runner that he rebuilt with about 260,000 miles on it. Dale had a great reputation and within the hour that he put it up for sale, it was gone.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Grizz wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:10 pm

a discount tire guy who offroads recommends goodyear duratracs, anyone have experience with them, or have a better tire choice.

I had been running Firestone Destination A/T on my Taco since new(2006) but switched a couple of years ago to the Destination X/T as I needed to be able to pull a 3000# trailer up a grass and gravel hill and the A/Ts loaded up. Not the X/Ts baby. I like them. They are super. Got about 30k on them and I don’t see any wear to speak of and the ride seems the same as new.
This guy has a pretty decent review here:
https://tireterrain.com/firestone-desti ... xt-review/
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:48 pm Grizz, just have to say I so admire guys like you who know how to repair and upgrade engines and frames and make your rig go and go. My neighbor back in Alamogordo was a retired Air Force jet mechanic and he had a Four-Runner that he rebuilt with about 260,000 miles on it. Dale had a great reputation and within the hour that he put it up for sale, it was gone.
Thanks Bill. i can't help it. i can't afford a mechanic, and most of the time i can do a better job if i do it myself. only thing a hired mechanic can buy me is time. i am very slow.. i am mechanically inclined out of necessity. but i like working with my hands, and that's how i learn stuff. THE REAL INCENTIVE is that i credit my labor as earned revenue, and i am close to certain that doing this has payed for all the tires and brakes and other parts, and some share of the gas costs too. IOW, my labor has payed for the operating costs of the vehicles. i make money doing this! :lol: :D

this poor runner had been abused by several priors. sounds way more better tonight with the matched injectors. will get it out on the highway tomorrow and see what the computer thinks. hope he signs off on the ticket. :lol:
Last edited by Grizz on Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Tycer wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:25 pm
Grizz wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:10 pm

a discount tire guy who offroads recommends goodyear duratracs, anyone have experience with them, or have a better tire choice.

I had been running Firestone Destination A/T on my Taco since new(2006) but switched a couple of years ago to the Destination X/T as I needed to be able to pull a 3000# trailer up a grass and gravel hill and the A/Ts loaded up. Not the X/Ts baby. I like them. They are super. Got about 30k on them and I don’t see any wear to speak of and the ride seems the same as new.
This guy has a pretty decent review here:
https://tireterrain.com/firestone-desti ... xt-review/
Thanks a bunch Tycer, i will read up on them. Do you have the tundra brakes i'm getting? What wheels do you have? i have 265-70r-16s with a decent amount of tread. they can only be mounted on 16 inch rims. there are some around but expensive at "discount".. it seems that there should be tons or toyota wheels floating around somewhere. I could go with 17" wheels, but there is zero value in either my wheels or my tires. so, big cost and big waste of money. I got a quote for 5 rims and 5 tires. Sheesh.

Thanks again for the tire review. I actually liked traveling on the wheels i have. the contact patch seemed planted, went through big down pours with plenty of surface water, and no wobbles. I don't actually know what prior owners did. I think there is a body lift. The 16s were listed as an option, and the tire guides state that my tire is oversized for the wheel. someone thought it was a performance mod i guess. and there may be wheel spacers, idk yet.

I won't be rock crawling, but i will be off on forest service, blm, and death valley side roads. not all of them, but it's where i like driving. I like your traction report, that's really good to know.

Thank you
grizz
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I run Goodyear Wranglers on my Chevy K30 crewcab dually. From the factory it came with 'em in a 215/75R16. My 1st replacements I went with the same tire. The last I time went with the same tire but in a 235/85R16. I'd run them before on my '88 4WD dually. They have good sidewall stability for an 85 aspect tire. Both of my one-tons have been probably 95+% hiway use. In our big snow storm winter before last, I had no trouble getting around. They have a very open shoulder and yet aren't super noisy The main off road use is pulling the fertilizer buggy around the pastures on those years when I disc and plant winter wheat. Other work is hauling a trailer around when brush clearing or loaded with fencing stuff for effecting repairs. Other'n that, both where I my house is or around the former deer lease it's white rock/gravel roads. I have driven it on place where the truck exceeded the ground's surface tension. I'd parked my horse trailer in the back yard while I did some work where it normally sits. After a heavy rainfall, I noticed the trailer tires sinking in the ground, after getting the Ford 3000 stuck, really tearing up the ground, I hooked up the dually to royally screw the pooch! I finally got a much longer chain and pulled truck & trailer with the tractor on the gravel drive. The only thing stopping the trailer from being submerged was the trailer floor! When the vehicle sinks of its own weight up to the axles, it's really time to wait for the ground to dry out!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:48 pm Grizz, just have to say I so admire guys like you who know how to repair and upgrade engines and frames and make your rig go and go. My neighbor back in Alamogordo was a retired Air Force jet mechanic and he had a Four-Runner that he rebuilt with about 260,000 miles on it. Dale had a great reputation and within the hour that he put it up for sale, it was gone.
Man, that's for sure! I can build just about anything, but if it has more than two cylinders, two wheels or a propeller, I'm out!

Good to hear things worked out Grizz.

jb 8)

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Griff wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:45 am I run Goodyear Wranglers on my Chevy K30 crewcab dually. From the factory it came with 'em in a 215/75R16. My 1st replacements I went with the same tire. The last I time went with the same tire but in a 235/85R16. I'd run them before on my '88 4WD dually. They have good sidewall stability for an 85 aspect tire. Both of my one-tons have been probably 95+% hiway use. In our big snow storm winter before last, I had no trouble getting around. They have a very open shoulder and yet aren't super noisy ........I finally got a much longer chain and pulled truck & trailer with the tractor on the gravel drive. The only thing stopping the trailer from being submerged was the trailer floor! When the vehicle sinks of its own weight up to the axles, it's really time to wait for the ground to dry out!
thanks Griff. my wheels are only 29.5" in diameter, so there is still good clearance in the wheel well. the tire guy said if i got 17s i could down on the aspect and be close in diameter. I still haven't driven this on any of the FS roads around here that i drive my van with street tires on. and there is ponding water rain going on around here, so maybe i should go find out how floaty my rig is. Might have to deflate to about 7... but i should find a tractor first! :)
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

2ndovc wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:43 am
Man, that's for sure! I can build just about anything, but if it has more than two cylinders, two wheels or a propeller, I'm out!

Good to hear things worked out Grizz.

jb 8)
Thanks Jason. This rig is supposed to have a swapped engine in it, but there's not much evidence of that except there is good compression. When i first started working on it last spring i found loose bolts attaching the air plenum to the block. NOT torqued! i really like this rig, but i still cannot see any reason to have a 24 valve overhead cam engine in a vehicle like this. It's useless unless it's turbo'd. i'm still going to look for a chevy 292, or take Marlinman's advice and go with a small block v8 push rod engine. with carburators! :lol: but will i need a compound rear end? :D
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

an afterthought about the tires . . . . it's a quagmire! reading the tire specs on individual tires is the kind of thing that numbs my mind. i read a bunch of reviews last night written by somebody in Turkey who isn't terrific at english grammar. but it's not the grammar, it's the numbers and dyslexia putting me to sleep.

i have gotten stuck in my van is places you would think a 4wd could get on by, but Nooooo, it depends on which tires are on the axles. :)

for example i was exploring some forest roads above Leavenworth and saw a spur going off to the right and up hill. i got to the right hand turn and was in talcum-powder-consistency dry fluff, but i couldn't straddle the spot and high centered the van! i wound up getting a gravity assist in reverse and backed down the hill a quarter mile to a spot where i could turn around.....

for about a 100,000$ i could test wheels and tires there until i found the right combination to get up the hill. . a tractor and trailer, not a tractor-trailer, would be a cheaper option. :wink:
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

So far, those injectors are worth every penny. Just gassed up and i will have real data when i refill. running rich killed the gas mileage... i'm two and a half sets into the injector zone. I hope i never have to look at another one. in this rig anyway.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Grizz wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:42 am i have gotten stuck in my van is places you would think a 4wd could get on by, but Nooooo, it depends on which tires are on the axles. :)
4WD is best utilized by engaging it & reverse to get out of where you got stuck in 2WD. And that's not always a certainty! My last serious off-road vehicle was a '72 K5 Blazer, w/a 4" lift kit, a 350 ci, purpose built TH350, 4.11 locker in the rear and 4.10 limited slip in the front, 8x15 wheels wrapped in a 10x36 Dick Cepek tires. I only got stopped once... by a snow drift deeper than my bumper @ 9,200' up in the Sierras on the way to hunting camp. Shovels cured that!
Blazer2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

On 4x4 I usually go as skinny as possible while maintaining a similar rolling diameter. I’m never in deep sand or deep mud so don’t need the width for off-road. The Taco came with 245/75-16 so I run 235/85-16. They have a slightly larger rolling diameter.
Hooking up on a straight track or scca calls for more meat but I disagree with the American idea of wider is better for off-road. Hilux and Range Rovers all have skinnier tyres than the USofA.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Griff: my van actually is really good in highway type snow situations, with compacted snow, or sideways snow in cold weather, like below 20° on ice or pavement. have to drive carefully to manage weight shifts, but some long nights with no traffic around! a couple inches of snow with water on the pavement stops the van. the wheels spin and the drag from the rear end clinches it.

Tycer: I've read other comments about narrow tires, I'm interested and will troll for those on the 4wd forums.

thanks guys. going to stop by overland and see what they sell . . .