Small Pistol Primers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Small Pistol Primers

Post by TraderVic »

A local sporting goods has a bunch of primers all of a sudden.
A quick question ; Quality wise - is there much or any difference between CCI & Federal ? I'm just starting to load 357 and they have Federal small pistol/magnum for 74.99/1000 and CCI small pistol/ magnum for 84.99/1000.
Thanks..
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Small Pistol Primers

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Either of those are better prices than I have seen in my area. I would buy the cheaper of the two. Personally I like Federal
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I've used both, but more of the CCI. I'd grab either or both!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I tend to prefer CCI over anything else due to their consistency. But these days if I needed primers I'd grab whatever I could.

On another note, the CCI small pistol magnum primers are the same primer as the CCI small rifle primer. Exact same primer in a different box.
NRA Life Member
Crazy Horse
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Crazy Horse »

They are $139 per 1000 at our local gun shop.

I would get the mag primers if I were using H110 or 2400.
I would get the standard primers if I were using Unique or a powder like it.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I think I've read that Federal primers in general are less sensitive and better for firearms that might fire from firing-pin inertia with bolt-slamming (like semiautos). But that may be another brand. I've never noticed any difference between brands as far as that myself, and would buy whatever I could get at this point if I needed any. I have about a thousand of the big and little pistol and 500 of big and little rifle, so haven't been looking lately.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

TedH wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:32 pm I tend to prefer CCI over anything else due to their consistency. But these days if I needed primers I'd grab whatever I could.

On another note, the CCI small pistol magnum primers are the same primer as the CCI small rifle primer. Exact same primer in a different box.
I was reading in one of my manuals the small rifle primers have thinner walls than the magnum pistol primers.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

One thing ive found out on some of the revolvers i have is that they all fire on Federal primers
with cci i get a few fail too fire, they always go off on the second hit, these are 357 revolvers
have a 454 in Ruger Alaskan it takes srp with cci it wont go off every time, with federal it goes boom
every time, with 45 colt or any large rifle primers ive never had a problem with cci, goes for
the mini 14 or the one AR 15 i have

ollogger
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

If you have not seen it, SUPER VEL tested Small Pistol, Small Pistol Magnum and Small Rifle primers in the 9mm. In this video they do pressure testing and velocity. As to using small rifle primer in the .357 and .38 Special ... I have found that most double action revolvers will not reliably fire Small Rifle primers when shooting double action. Fired single action I had no issues. Double action often required snapping them twice. My Ruger old model .357 Blackhawk has no problem lighting the small rifle primers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGVRGsoOr6k
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I've been using small rifle primers in my .357 Magnum loads for many years. Never had any issues with any of my revolvers or carbines.

But I try to use small pistol primers in my .38 loads as many of them go though a J frame. Again, no issues and I am not picky about brand. I never have had any trouble lighting primers in any of my guns unless somebody went too light on the mainspring. I can go pretty light, but I generally also install a slightly longer firing pin in my S&W revolvers as part of the action job. On the newer ones, it is a simple task and there's no reason not to. That probably explains why I just don't get misfires.

Two of these crazy cyles ago, when they spread rumors that primers would be manufactured with an expiration date and would not work after that. (ridiculous propaganda, but it sure drove prices up) I bought several flats of Tula Large Pistol Magnum primers and have been using them ever since. I don't change a thing about the amount of powder I use and I use them interchangeably with WLP primers.
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

TraderVic wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:26 pm
TedH wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:32 pm I tend to prefer CCI over anything else due to their consistency. But these days if I needed primers I'd grab whatever I could.

I was reading in one of my manuals the small rifle primers have thinner walls than the magnum pistol primers.
As a general rule yes. But there are several long running threads on the net saying CCI specifically has these two primer types same thickness and brisance.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

I appreciate the feedback, especially based on your personal knowledge and experience.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Haven't seen this many primers in a long time. Picking up a 1000 Federal small pistol magnum primers.