Way off topic.....Bees

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Way off topic.....Bees

Post by .45colt »

At My wits end here. I been here 44 years had a lot of run ins with hornets , yellow jackets , in the ground ,house and everywhere else. starting last year and now this as well I'm deluged with a yellow jacket type critter that gets in everywhere in the walls of the house, in the soffits , thru the tiniest crack. I have used a lot of bee/bug killers over the years but these just seem to shrug it off. before I call an exterminator anybody have a favorite way to get rid of bees or recipe of what to use on them.? Thanks For listening.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Way off topic.....Bees

Post by OldWin »

I had a couple years like that around here. Huge uptick in yellow jackets.
Anyway, they were in my cellar fairly bad, and I couldn't seem to get rid of them with spray. I found where they were getting outside. Once I did that, I put my shop vac in front of the hole and turned it on. Then I went down cellar and sprayed again. The ones the spray didn't get tried to escape and got sucked up. I had over 3 inches of them in the bottom of a 10 gallon shop vac.

Full disclosure.
This was not my idea. I got it from my buddy Six, who had posted a similar solution to the same problem a year or so before.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Take a look at Tempo, cant say ive used it on bees, but grass hoppers & flying ants dont stand a chance
or any other creeping bug, i sprayed my spruce trees a few years ago, the hoppers were stripping them
bout an hour later the ground was covered with them all dead or close to it

Brad
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Thanks Old Win, I have used the shop vac for years , I'm have a heck of a time getting to the nests with the bee spray. If you don't kill the nest they are back in no time. the shop vac is also the Redneck with a gravel drive's best friend. after plowing all winter you can use it to get all the gravel out of the yard. plus it gives passerby's something to gawk at going down the road.... :lol: .
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Oldlogger wrote:"Take a look at Tempo, cant say ive used it on bees, but grass hoppers & flying ants dont stand a chance
or any other creeping bug, i sprayed my spruce trees a few years ago, the hoppers were stripping them
bout an hour later the ground was covered with them all dead or close to it " Thanks Brad, never heard of it but may be just the ticket. I'll look it up.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Have had good success with malathion and bees, you have to follow up with a good snort of diesel or they will come back. Soapy water works well on yellowjackets, have not tried it on bees.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Just an update. there were three small nests around the house, they were going in the walls. and we have an elevated back porch with an insulated floor that was swarming with these suckers. You couldn't even get close to it. I made a few calls and hired a local pest removal company whose trucks I've seen for years. yesterday morning an Old Geezer about my age showed up. He looked around mixed up some chemicals and flatly said "I will kill them all" and the nests as well. He put on a heavy coat and a beekeepers mesh hat . sprayed the ones on the outside and then went under the back porch. He said this is usually one and done.
Much to my delight there are -0- yellow jackets anywhere around the house today. pay the money and cry only once.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I'm a retired commercial pest inspector. I always laugh when reading about peoples home remedies. When in doubt call a pro and have it taken care of safely and quickly......with one treatment.

Bees are pollinators and are generally good. Yellow Jackets, Bald Faced Hornets, etc are in the wasp/meat eater family and are generally evil, but serve a purpose. :D

Here are some suggestions, for the future.

1. Put out the "WHY" pheromone traps at the beginning of Spring when the queens come out of hibernation. Place them 30'-50' away from where people congregate and spaced about 50' apart. You want to draw the activity away from you. That means don't hang them from your porch or next to your house. YOUR GOAL IS TO TRAP AS MANY QUEEN YELLOW JACKETS, QUEEN BALD FACE HORNETS, AND QUEEN WASPS BEFORE THEY CAN ESTABLISH A COLONY. You must also diligently refresh the pheromones every month or you are wasting your time. Here in the Pacific NW we put out traps from the end of March - October. After 1-2 years you will see a significant reduction in activity.

2. Pesticide usage - If you are going to use them READ THE ******* LABEL. THE LABEL IS THE LAW and misuse can cause you or the environment harm.

3. A dead nest, in a wall void, will start to stink and attract mites and flies if you don't remove it. Just an fyi.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Good information Jdad. Thanks. one thing I REALLY like is that if I have anymore problems for 90 days they come back Free. :wink: .
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

These are the pheromone traps I mentioned.

https://www.rescue.com/products/traps/w ... rqEALw_wcB

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

We have a lot of mud dauber wasps around here. I try to leave them alone. They kill spiders, and I have never been stung by one of them.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

piller wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:30 pm We have a lot of mud dauber wasps around here. I try to leave them alone. They kill spiders, and I have never been stung by one of them.
Mud Daubers are the least aggressive of any wasps. You literally need to squeeze them in your hand to get them to sting you.

They are solitary insects. There are usually several individual chambers in the mud nest where the wasp has deposited an egg and spiders. When the egg hatches it will feed on the spiders until it pupates.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a place on the back of my leg that might have been a spider bite. I kill spiders when they are widow or recluse types if I see them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

jdad wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:30 pm These are the pheromone traps I mentioned.

https://www.rescue.com/products/traps/w ... rqEALw_wcB

jdad, I too have retired from 30 years of professional pest control and have become reluctant to offer advice due to not knowing what pesticides are available in the US and the laws about their use. I've been out of touch with pest control products since retiring and have never seen those pheromone traps over here, they look like a brilliant idea, I use pheromone traps for clothes moths and they work well too.

Brian, that spider bite looks nasty, here in the south of England we have false widows that inflict a nasty bite but probably not as bad as the black widow.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

piller wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:08 pm I have a place on the back of my leg that might have been a spider bite. I kill spiders when they are widow or recluse types if I see them.
Beware the recluse bites - they can go from little red spots to cavernous necrotic wounds quickly...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "