Which of your guns would you take to Africa?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Which of your guns would you take to Africa?

Post by CowboyTutt »

You can pick two, one for plains game, and one for big game.

I think I would take my CZ 550 in 375 H&H Ackley with its Hornady 390 grain A-Tip bullet for big game,

and probably my BLR in 358 Winchester with a 225 grain Barnes TSX bullet for plains game.

Runner up's would be my 1942 Enfield #4 Mark 1* with a 247 grain LFNGC from Bengal Bullets at 2200 fps with Varget or maybe my
454 Puma with a 300 grain Hornady XTP Mag at 2000 fps, but it does not have the BC of the other rifles I mentioned. I could probably
find a bullet with more range than that one for the Puma.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Re: Which of your guns would you take to Africa?

Post by wvfarrier »

Winchester 92 in 45 colt for the plains critters and my Winchester 1886 in 45-70 for the bigger critters
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I don't have any Magnasaurus rifles, yet.
Out of what I currently own, probably Grandpa's 1903 Sporter and my '86 in .33WCF for the thinner skinned game.

It does sound to me like the perfect reason to buy that Pre-'64 Model 70, .458 Winchester Magnum I've always wanted. :D

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

98 Mauser Custom Paul Jeager 35 Whelen AI loaded with 250 gr. Handloads .
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

.375 Winchester, 45/70 Marlin. The only 2 I have worthy of the trip.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Since this is a levergun forum and I don’t have any magnum bolt guns or double rifles I’ll go with…

1885 GS with some Garrett of Buffalo Bore for the large and dangerous stuff. And Savage 99 in 7mm08 for plains game.

.45 Colt Blackhawk for backup with some heavy for caliber hard cast LWFN bullets.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

.45-70 Marlin with 405 grain +P loads from Grizzly Cartridge Corporation, and my 30-06 Rem 700 with 180 grain Nosler Partitions. That would take almost anything I would hunt for.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan bolt action in 375 Ruger for big stuff out past 100 yards

- and/or -

Big Horn Armory 89 levergun in 500 S&W for closer stuff or backup, in part because it is fast to shoot and holds eight rounds.

Either can be loaded 'down' for smaller game, but both plenty powerful within appropriate range for big stuff. The 375 Ruger shoots nearly as flat with a 270 grain bullet as a 270 Win does with a 130 grain bullet. The Alaskan has a Hogue stock so is pretty heavy, but the BHA 89 is about the same size and heft as a Marlin Guide Gun but spots out over 4,000 ft-lbs with some loads, yet is pleasant to shoot.

As an alternative, I'd consider my Ruger M77V in 6mm Rem because it is so accurate, for small stuff, because it is SO accurate...

I'd take my Ruger Redhawk 44 Mag or 45 Colt/ACP and AMT 22 LR for handgun purposes (putting down wounded game, small game for pot meat) if possible.

Now if you mean URBAN Jungle, I'd take my 50 Beowulf semiauto (AR-15) for the 'big stuff' and an 5.56 AR for 'small stuff'...handguns would be Para Ordnance P-14 2911 45 ACP with 20 round mags and suppressed Ruger Mark-3 in 23 LR.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I took my Winchester Model 71 .348 loaded with Barnes 250 gr. jacketed bullets. I also carried my Freedom Arms 454. I ended up using only the Model 71.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Nice pajama donkey. Did you have him made into a rug?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

wvfarrier wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:34 pm Winchester 92 in 45 colt for the plains critters and my Winchester 1886 in 45-70 for the bigger critters
Exactly. Although i might experiment with a 225 or so high velocity 45/70 load to keep it to one gun. but i suspect that reveals my ignorance concerning what is meant by plains game!
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

I'd take a Brno in 375 H&H for big stuff and a Ruger Hawkeye in 270 for everything else.
@ Jim T: you mentioned taking a Freedom Arms revolver. How easy was it to take a handgun to Africa?
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

piller wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:23 pm Nice pajama donkey. Did you have him made into a rug?
Yes I did. He is in my room, keeping me company.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

kaschi wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:21 pm I'd take a Brno in 375 H&H for big stuff and a Ruger Hawkeye in 270 for everything else.
@ Jim T: you mentioned taking a Freedom Arms revolver. How easy was it to take a handgun to Africa?
Back then it was fairly easy. Only restriction was it had to be a gun designed for hunting. Freedom Arms was happy to draft such a letter for me. We hired a company who handled all our paperwork and got it approved and signed before we ever landed. We did not spend hardly any time getting the paperwork for our guns. People who waited to do it when then got there were really stuck.

The last I heard, hunting handguns must have a certain length barrel .. I forget what it is .. something like 8" ... and it has to have a scope mounted.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Small complication for my rifles, as 86er took his 1886 45-70 and my 18886 .45-90 to Africa as part of a bullet testing hunt; he reported on this forum.

I took my Ruger 77 .338 Win Mag for plains game on first trip and Winchester 1895 .405 WCF on second trip ( Buff and wart hog).

All the above were reported on this forum.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Bearskinner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bearskinner »

I love playing with Leverguns, but I ONLY hunt with a Handgun. So I would take an FA83 in 454 (or 475L,) and for long range a Single shot G2Contender in 378GNR, which is similar to a 375JDJ, but has a bit more power.
Both scoped, ready to go. Nothing else needed!
“YOU CAN’T SHOOT A BIG ONE IF YOU SHOOT A LITTlE ONE FIRST”
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

If I was ever able to go to Africa I'd probably take my Hepburn in .45-70 along for larger game. For smaller I'd take my trusty old custom .30-06 built on a Pattern 17 Remington receiver. I don't really own any modern high power rifles so might be limited on shot distance, placement, and game species.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

My Tikka LSA 65 in 30-06, bolt gun, and my Mod 64 in 30-30! They'd do everything I wanted to do there!
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

My Sharps 1874 in 40-90SBN, Browning 1886 in .45-70, Winchester 94 rifle in 30-30, and Uberti 1860 in 45Colt or my Browning 1885 in the same chambering. But, I suspect it will remain on my bucket list.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I took my 8x57 Remington 700 and my Merkel 141 in 9.3x74r

If I go again, I'm taking one of my Model 71s.
The hard part will be deciding which one.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Kenworth71
Levergunner

Post by Kenworth71 »

I think I would take my Howa 1500 in 375 Ruger, I love my 45-70 but just not enough reach, and my 99 in 284
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

For an African trip I’d take my 458 Win Mag and two scopes in QD mounts. One scope sighted in for 450-500gr loads and the other sighted in for a Barnes 350gr TSX for plains game. The rifle is LH CZ550 that I had converted to 458 Win using a factory barrel (they only released lefties in 375H&H and never made that many of them). I also had a Brno pop-up peep sight fitted to the rear receiver in case I have to deal with something at spitting distance.

Taking two guns is a hassle and I were to take another gun I’d probably take my Beretta U/O for some bird shooting.
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Brownchester M71 in 50-110 and a sporterizes 03-A3 30-06!
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I sold my Ruger Tropical Rifle in .458 so would take my Winchester in .375 H & H and also my Guide Gun loaded with 500gr hard cast bullets.
Trailboss
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Trailboss »

Some very good choices by members. I would select two popular calibers in bolt action. Winchester 375 H&H and an FN 30-06. Both scoped with high quality 3-9 glass.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

460 Wby lazermark with pendleton dekicker and 375H&H CZ550, that is if I hadnt sold them years ago. Been a while since I could fire guns like that. These days it would be my 44 mag rossi, get onto the same concessions as that allow handgun shooting. With a heavy bullet it would take anything... assuming perfect shot placement....ranges were short....no charges by anything over 1500lbs, also no frontal brain shots on elephant, side presentations only... and backup by a competent guide with a 4000ftlbs+ safari rifle . A couple or three caveats :)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I didn't do a formal tally, but it appears that the 30-06 (of course) is one of the more popular, and (being a levergun forum) the 45-70 and 30-30 are mentioned frequently.

The surprise to me was several in addition to myself mentioned the 375 Ruger; from the cost of factory ammo you'd think it is the oddest and scarcest chambering around, but evidently many others found it practical for a big 'thumper' - it is kind of an 'Ackley-ized' 375 H&H if you think about it (which also got several mentions).

The ballistics of 375 bullet choices are great - high enough ballistic coefficients that they shoot nearly as flat as a 270 Winchester, but throw out quite a bit of energy without tearing the shooters shoulder off. My Ruger 'Alaskan' has the Hogue stock, and it isn't exactly a light weight gun, but it is very accurate and powerful. I've read many times of 375 H&H owners who load light cast-bullet loads for smaller game, and get little meat damage ('eat right up to the hole'), with great accuracy, albeit a different aiming point is needed. I haven't experimented with that yet, as I'm waiting until I get 120 cases and 100 of them are empty so I can reload a bunch at once, and I'm only up to about 70 rounds shot so far.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

From what I have in the safe:
The 30-06 and the Shiloh Sharps 45-70 which at 12lbs would pretty much suck to carry around all day.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Model 70 Winchester in 470 Capstick and the second in 300 H+H Magnum.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

One of the guns I d take would my BSA Lee Speed they cry africa and possibly my Mauser 66
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

All right, some of my favorite "take to Africa guns" mentioned were the 1886 in 50-110 and the Win Model 70 in 470 Capstick. Jim T., I do have an 8 1/2 inch Taurus Raging Bull with a super slick action I could bring for back-up with a cheap scope to get me past the constabulary. Barbarossa, pardon my ignorance, but what caliber is the BSA Lee Speed in? -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

The Lee speed is in 303 brit
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I don’t own a heavy hitter anymore . But in the past I’ve had a couple 375 H&H guns as well as a couple 416 Rem Mags and a 458 Win Mag . Of the three I’d most likely go with the last 375 I had a plain Jane Ruger #1H . For the other I suppose I’d take my custom built 26 Nosler .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I DONT HAVE ANYTHING BIG ENOUGH FOR "BIG GAME"
38-55 MAYBE FOR DEER SIZE PLAINS GAME
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Then there was Peter Held who hunted Africa with his 30-30 Marlin.

https://leverguns.com/articles/peter_held.htm
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I agree with everything he said. all 30s perform the same at equal velocities. that's my theory . . .
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I no longer have anything I'd take to Africa unless I wanted to commit suicide by Cape Buffalo :? but I would keep a .410 handy for them Black Mamba's :wink:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

If I hunt the same thing I was hunting last time I was there, A HK MP-5 and an M-14. If I am after animals, my WildWest Co-Pilot in .457 WW and the Styer Pro hunter in 300 Win Mag.
MP5s Kabul.JPG
Cyprus Arms.jpg
300 WIN MAGc.JPG
Arch's 2016.jpg
It is not the critic who counts
Crazy Horse
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Crazy Horse »

Bolt guns I would take my Browning A bolt 375 H&H with open sights and my Weatherby MKV 270 WBY mag.

Leverguns my Marlin Cowboy 45-70 and my Winchester 1895 405 Win.