De-escalation skills...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

De-escalation skills...

Post by AJMD429 »

...might have helped the worker avoid getting shot:

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2022/0 ... nch-fries/

Lessons...?

1. Learn de-escalation skills.
2. Don't work in places that only allow criminals to be armed.
3. Don't go to places that only allow criminals to be armed.
4. Don't live in places that only allow criminals to be armed.
5. If you have to violate #2,3, or 4, wear body armor and say your prayers.

I can't imagine being the parent of that poor kid...(I'm too old to imagine being the kid)...

Sadly, our society has pretty much told a certain demographic that they are allowed to be violent whenever they want, flee the cops whenever they want, and resist arrest whenever they want, then they will be put back on the street because - 'equity'. :roll:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JimT
Shootist

Re: De-escalation skills...

Post by JimT »

A close friend of mine is a retired Cop. He has been helping Churches establish Security Teams for a number of years. One of his main classes is to teach Security Teams "Verbal Skills" ... how to talk so as to de-escalate a situation. He is of the opinion that this is lacking in the overall CCW community.

https://smile.amazon.com/Verbal-Skills- ... =8-1-fkmr2
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

De-escallation is a big topic of discussion these days in law enforcement.

One of the problems with CCW carriers is that they don't generally carry anything to project intermediate force....so it is the gun or nothing.

This isn't that big a problem though becasue its only appropriate to go to deadly force in very rare situations.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

I will refrain from.making the obvious statement about a certain societal group as it will get me banned
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Verbal Judo, book by George Thompson.

Anyone who may be involved in a 'negative social interactions' should read this.

Law enforcement academies should have it as required reading, plus several hours of instruction plus quizzes.

Worked well for me when I wore the Sheriff's hat, got me out of things going south.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:48 pm De-escallation is a big topic of discussion these days in law enforcement.

One of the problems with CCW carriers is that they don't generally carry anything to project intermediate force....so it is the gun or nothing.

This isn't that big a problem though becasue its only appropriate to go to deadly force in very rare situations.
We all need to carry things between "a harsh word and a gun" as John Corea (of Active Self Protection) puts it. A good OC spray is a great intermediate force tool. Problem with a baton is you have to know what you are doing, get into contact range, and is also lethal when used inappropriately (or without skill). Other than when I fly, I always have a strong flashlight, high-quality OC spray and a knife on me. Always.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

can hardly hear anyone any more. i suppose the kneecap went wokely too ?
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

wvfarrier wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:16 pm I will refrain from making the obvious statement about a certain societal group as it will get me banned
I hear you and concur! I fear that there will soon come a time that saying anything will just get you killed. :(
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:15 pm
Scott Tschirhart wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:48 pm De-escallation is a big topic of discussion these days in law enforcement.

We all need to carry things between "a harsh word and a gun" as John Corea (of Active Self Protection) puts it. A good OC spray is a great intermediate force tool. Problem with a baton is you have to know what you are doing, get into contact range, and is also lethal when used inappropriately (or without skill). Other than when I fly, I always have a strong flashlight, high-quality OC spray and a knife on me. Always.
I watch those John Corea (Active Self Protection videos) a lot. It's very enlightening to say the least. I can see where Verbal Judo might help on low threat situations, to keep them from getting out of hand, but for most of the muggings, robberies, carjackings, etc., I don't see where it's going to help all that much because the perps are coming in so fast on the victims that about the only options, I see are full compliance or fight for your life, with everything at your disposal, and sometimes running away is an option, but I can't run very fast, so it isn't much of an option for me.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

One thing I learned from police work is that the entire world is made up of impact weapons. For example, a beer mug is a heck of a thing if used correctly. Even stationary things like walls, light poles or the sidewalk can be used effectively.

But to use such things, you need to have a plan.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

When in a potentially dangerous location I have a plan, I look for escape routes and conveniently placed weapons (bottles/pieces of timber etc) I keep my eyes open and my head down, whatever I am carrying only comes into play as a last resort.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

It's close to impossible to find a decent paying job these days, and a company that doesn't have rules against firearms on the job. And that's been the case for decades now. I'm sure we'd all love to find that ideal employer who allows it, and pays well, but it ain't going to happen most the time.
Employees need to decide if they're just not going to carry, or break the rules and risk losing their job.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have staplers all around which are heavy metal objects at work. There are cameras everywhere. I am not going to escalate anything, but if they start to pull the trigger, I will break their skull. If they just want to steal the stuff and go, then here you go. Let insurance and Law Enforcement take care of it. I don't own it, and it is all insured. More cameras than you can see without a stepladder and a very close inspection. I have seen some footage of an employee caught stealing, and she knew where the moniters in the main office were showing. She thought she was safe. Nope! Not even close! The Loss Prevention employee had high resolution video of her and you could read the bottles. Anybody coming in to rob us is going to be on camera. Your pictures will be available in high resolution. The LP department knows how many times I scratch myself and where. I don't care. The only place there are no cameras is in the toilet.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost