Big Buck

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JK622
Levergunner

Big Buck

Post by JK622 »

I left a camera up at one of my buddy's protein feeders until a couple of weeks ago. Going through the pics I found some of this guy! Seems like the antler restrictions started a few years ago are working.
Jan 2022 ts.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Re: Big Buck

Post by wvfarrier »

Yes indeed......thatll do!
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

that picture is dated January so those antlers have been dropped.
what do you suppose the ones he is growing now will look like come October?! :shock:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I think that buck is disobeying the 'antler restrictions'... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JK622
Levergunner

Post by JK622 »

We'll sure be watching for him this fall!
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

what kind of deer is that? I thought it was a whitetail until I saw the tail - but the antlers look like whitetail and what I can see of the face looks like a whitetail. I'm confused.
JK622
Levergunner

Post by JK622 »

He's a mule deer. He just doesn't have the double fork in his antlers yet.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Looks as if he will be a trophy soon.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

NICE AND WIDE FOR A YOUNG BUCK...BROWE TINES TOO
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

JK622 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:40 amHe's a mule deer. He just doesn't have the double fork in his antlers yet.
Could that be one of the cross-bred deer found out in west Texas?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

I'd say he is a Hybrid, cross between Whitetail and Mule Deer.
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

It's a Desert Mule deer , not a hybrid or cross . Nice deer hope you get him . ,,,,DT
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

After reading my post it sounds like I am being snarky or smug , and that's not how I want to sound . I should have said , I have hunted these Texas desert Mule deer for over 50 + yrs. and have seen literally thousands of them . In all those yrs. I have only seen three Hybrid / Cross bred deer . Two were bucks and one a doe . Cross breeding does happen but not as much as folks would think . As a side note most times I have witnessed an attempt at cross breeding it was a Wt. buck chasing a Mule deer doe . The only way I know how to tell if a deer is truly a Hybrid is the Metatarsal gland . It is located on the lower back legs . On a Mule deer the Metatarsal gland is very long a usually brown hair around it . A White tail deer has a Metatarsal gland only about an inch to inch and a half long with light or white hair around it . A Hybrid has a Metatarsal gland something of a Combo of the two . The deer in the picture is a Straight up Mule deer , if you zoom in you can see the Metatarsal gland is about 4-5 in. long , and hair the same color as the deer . Hope that sounded a little better .,,,DT
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Thanks for the info. Very interesting. the whitetails I've seen in Texas, both standing and horizontal, seem smaller than mule deer to me, they look to be about the size of the alaskan version of sitka blacktails, is there a size difference between the Texas mulies and whitetails?
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

Thanks Grizz , short answer yes . The Wt. are smaller than the Desert Mule deer . The Wt. in N/W Texas on a large ranch I outfitted hunts on for 25 yrs. retired now . Mature Wt. bucks weighed on the small side 140 lb. on the hoof and most went in the 160 lb. range with the heaviest I can remember weighing went 183 lb. on the hoof . For comparison my home place in Mason County Hill Contry the Wt . bucks are smaller and average 130 - 160 lb. on the hoof with 160 being a large one . Desert Mule deer mature bucks I have weighed on my Brewster Co. place run 180 lb. up to 240+ with most in the 225 lb. range . What do the Sitka Blacktail weigh ? I never had the pleasure of seeing one except for picture and they look beautiful and some look quite plump . Just a side note some of the the Old Timers in S/W Texas call the desert Mule deer ( Blacktail ) . ,,,DT
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Hey Dusty, good to know. I am not sure of the weights of the blacktails. never had a scale.

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=deer.main

this article says they are related to mule deer. we lived on them for many years. at that time they had no parasites, and no gamey tasting meat. I was food hunting and passed up the biggest deer I saw, don't appreciate a buck in heat with neck swollen and stinky glands. and don't like packing them around on my back in bear country. spooky.

one time at the end of a fishing season we decided to splurge on steak to celebrate and all three of my kids said, "what's this"? Almost simultaneously. Had to explain what cows are. LOL LOL
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

Same down here , the young are more tender and fine eating .Growing up in Tx . beef steak was aplenty growing up . Not so much today . I feel lucky today to be able to eat deer and wild hog meat all I want . And I do , more than Beef . Beef store bought just don't taste like it did in the past . If I get hold of some from a local rancher , now that's a different story . Grass fed beef still taste good to me . Had deer steak and corn cooked in the black iron skillet just before sitting down to peck this out . Having my sundowner too , so pardon my spellin .,,,DT
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

shooter alert!!! :shock: