made a pie today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

made a pie today

Post by earlmck »

Here's the pie crust (I know some of you fellers recognize this kinda' pie)
1piecrust466.jpg
Big guns are hungry critters, and I'm running low on food for my big 'un. So spent a few sessions casting bullets (slow process with the single cavity mould, though every year I tell myself I gotta' change that situation). Then after all that casting they still need lube. Stand 'em up in a pan, pour in the melted lube (in this case equal parts bees wax, crisco, olive oil correction here: more likely 50/40/10 proportions by weight). Here they are after the lube sets up. Because my pie pan isn't all smooth on the bottom but has some nuisancy design, I am forced into making this funny clump of bullets so they are all sitting flat.
1pie461.jpg
Pop the pie out of the pan and here it is from the bottom with all those nice 530 grain slugs waiting to be extracted.
1piebottom462.jpg
I push the bullets out of the lube pie with my thumb. Pushing them through the hole keeps the pie supported so it doesn't break as I push the bullet through.
1pieharvesting463.jpg
And here's the big guy that'll benefit from all the cookin'
1rifle467.jpg
And with some loaded cartridges (45/70)
1riflencrtgs468.jpg
Our monthly buffalo shoot next weekend will consume 68 of these big pills and then our annual event comes just two weeks after that which will eat 104 of them and two weeks after that will be the July shoot where another 68 go off into the wind. And I keep my pard Butch supplied also, so you can see I'll be baking pies again in a few months.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by earlmck on Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: made a pie today

Post by gamekeeper »

Cool photos.. 8) I sure like the filling...... :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Earl, you've had better luck with push-through pan-lubing than I have. Well done! Is that the classic Lyman 457125?
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Man that’s the only way to do it with black powder cartridge rifles! I can smell the lube while looking at your photos. Good times.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Nice. I did that with .38/357 pistol bullets when I started casting back in the early 1960's. I used a Kake Cutter to cut the bullets out of the wax rather than try to push them out. Looks like you have it pretty well perfected!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

My Wife is an Excellent Baker , I showed Her Your pie Earl and She won't try it. :lol: .
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I had been lubing these on a Lyman lubri-sizer for a couple of years now, but when I started casting up the 400 grain hollow-based bullets for the Trapdoor I thought I would like to hone the size die out a bit so it didn't squeeze these hollow-base fellows down any. So I did that and it works great for those hollow based bullets. But these 530 grainers are now loose enough that I get lube squozing by and making a mess, so I went back to the pan lubing for these which is probably faster anyway.

The things we sometimes do to ourselves!

And Bill, this comes from an Accurate mould that friend Brownie designed, looks pretty close to that old classic Lyman allright.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I did that last year for some .58 caliber hollow-base bullets for my reproduction Zouave rifled musket. What is your recipe for your lube? :D
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Earl, Tom sure makes a good mold, doesn't he? When I saw your weight, I was thinking Postell, but the nose profile was the old government bullet. Very nice.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:01 pm I did that last year for some .58 caliber hollow-base bullets for my reproduction Zouave rifled musket. What is your recipe for your lube? :D
It has been several years since I mixed up a big batch of the lube and somehow I was remembering equal parts of everything. I just talked to the fellow who had told me the recipe to use and he says it is 50% beeswax, 40% Crisco, 10% olive oil (by weight). Good thing I asked him as I am needing to mix up a little more so I have enough to do 3 or 4 "pies" at a time. My "equal parts" recipe might have been a little on the soft side!
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

None of my pan lubing attempts came near your result. Good thing my Seaco lubri-sizer likes SPG.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

earlmck wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:22 pm
Ysabel Kid wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:01 pm I did that last year for some .58 caliber hollow-base bullets for my reproduction Zouave rifled musket. What is your recipe for your lube? :D
It has been several years since I mixed up a big batch of the lube and somehow I was remembering equal parts of everything. I just talked to the fellow who had told me the recipe to use and he says it is 50% beeswax, 40% Crisco, 10% olive oil (by weight). Good thing I asked him as I am needing to mix up a little more so I have enough to do 3 or 4 "pies" at a time. My "equal parts" recipe might have been a little on the soft side!
I tend to use a mixture of beeswax and lamb's tallow. I increase the beeswax the harder/stiffer I want the mix. I'll need to look at my notes to see what I used for the Zouave minie bullets.