OT - A little - Mulie I shot in AZ

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
longhair1957
Levergunner 2.0

OT - A little - Mulie I shot in AZ

Post by longhair1957 »

I thought I would Share a couple pics of my Mulie I shot on Sat. Morning in 18B.

4 points on one side and 3 on the other plus two brow tines.

Shot him with my 1885 30.06 with handloaded 150 grn Nosler Ballistic tip ammo at 3000 fps out of the 28" barrel. Put a nice silver dollar hole in then out going thru both lungs.

This story starts with the fact that this season of 2009 we were going deer hunting in an area that we had never hunted, plus had only made a quick trip up to see where we could camp.

Not a good start as you can see.

I am hunting with my Father-in-law, and Bro-in-law.(Chuck Sr. and Jr.)

We arrived on Thursday the day before opening day. setup camp and then did a quick scout on our UTVs
(2 Rangers and a Rhino). We ran into a Game and Fish ranger and visited for a bit. He gave us some ideas of where to hunt. However, where he said to hunt had so many hunters camped there already we didn't want to go sit on somebody's lap to hunt, so we went elsewhere.

Opening morning we head out several minutes apart going for the same little trail. We are all separated by several hundred yards to start the day. At approx 9:00 am several shots were fired (obvious bad shot as they were all from the same guy!) I waited in my spot to see if anything got spooked my way, nothing did. I hiked back to my Ranger and headed farther up the trail. I saw my Bro-in-law's Ranger parked so I just parked next to him. I radioed him and found out he was out on the east side of the trail so I hiked west.

I jumped a smaller fork horned buck ( 2 x 2 ) and leveled my 1895 Winchester .405 on him. But he was only presenting a Texas heart shot (shot from the rear ) and I wanted a larger deer. I mean I have been hunting my whole life for one thing or another, yet had never taken a deer, so who knew if I would get another one, I didn't want a little one.

I hiked over a few hundred yards a found a nice place under a juniper that over looked a pretty good valley with a gulley in the bottom. It had a corral off to the east with stock feeders that had cattle feed in them. I figured the deer might go in there at night time.

So I sit down and start glassing the area. I used my range finder to check all the distances around me. I found the far side of the gulley was 450 yards. The near side was 200 yards. I could not see down into the gulley but I still felt I had a good view of the area.

While I was sitting in my spot I decided that this was how I was going to hunt, I was going to sit patiently and wait for the deer, the hunting pressure was on. Road hunters were going up and down the trail so it would get the deer moving. At least that was my plan.
I sat there for a couple hours and then caught a glimpse of movement out at the 450 yard side. It was several Mule deer moving up under a juniper tree to bed down for the day. They were approx 600 yards from the trail. I watched them for about another 1.5 hours and they stayed there. However the ground was so covered with grapefruit sized and larger black rocks that there would be no sneaking up on them.

So I relaxed, checked on them every now and then, ate the lunch I packed, then laid back and took a quick 30min nap. When I woke up they were still there. I waited until about 1:30pm, then I snuck out to the Ranger and went back to camp to restock food for the evening. Came back out at about 3:00pm and went back to my rock. I couldn't see the deer, but I wasn't too worried I figured they were in the area. I went back to my same spot (marked on my GPS) and sat. But this time I had brought my scoped 1885 30.06 because I felt I need to be able to make shot out further than my old eyes can see with that gold bead on the front of that 1895 Win. Well I did not see anything that afternoon/evening. I did hear movement in the area to the west of me, but I did not see anything.

Saturday morning (day after season open) I get moving a little late, health reasons make me a little slow to get moving anymore! I started to bring the 1895 .405 again cause I really wanted to make a kill with that rifle, but then I thought I should just bring the 1885 30.06. I don't even leave camp until 7:15am, my in-laws had been goon for more than an hour. I went out and went to "my spot".
I sat there for about an hour when my butt was just so sore I had to stand up for a second. I glassed around while standing and from that vantage point I saw out at the 450 yard side a mulie standing under a different tree than before. I could only see one and maybe another, but they were just silhouettes.

As I watched them they started acting nervous, then 2 became 4, then 6, then 8, then 12! But, at that range I could not make out antlers. So I looked down to shift positions without tripping, and when I looked up they were gone. They had been spooked by another UTV coming up that trail from the far end about 3/4 mile away. I searched and searched to the direction opposite of the trail, but no luck. AS I am glassing, all of a sudden they are right in front of me coming over the edge of the gulley at the 200 yard mark, and they were in a BIG hurry! They started pausing right at the top so I sat down and got ready to look for a nice buck, but then they were off again. They were running at an angle that was going to take them right past me at about 40 yards away. So I swiveled to a space between the juniper trees and waited for them to run through. As I watched, doe, doe, doe, doe, doe, doe, doe, doe, doe, spike, doe (they all looked like the same video in a loop, the exact steps, exact head bob as they ran in a single file line up the hill) then BUCK!

He came into view and I knew that wanted to stop him for a second. So I stood up and swiveled so I could get a better angle on him as they were off to my hard right. He paused for a second, and that was long enough. BOOM right through the lungs. I went up to where he was and didn't see him, I thought , there is no freaking way I missed! Then I saw the blood splatter bright red full oxygenated lung shot! I started tracking and about every 5 paces another huge splatter this went on about 40 yards and there he was!

My 1st Mule Deer!

I have killed many things in my life from untold numbers of small game, dove, quail, chucker, pheasant, many coyotes, bobcat, javalina, and black bear ( as well as a few other things that needed killin! )but, this was my first deer!
Last edited by longhair1957 on Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - A little - Mulie I shot in AZ

Post by rjohns94 »

Very nice. even nicer with your handloads.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

:D Congrats !! Enjoy the backstraps !!

Thanks, Tom

P.S. Tell us about the 1911 on your hip.
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

That's got to make your day. That 1911 for the critters? :D
Old Law Dawg
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Nice buck! Congratulations. Tell us about the hunt.
Ricky

DWWC
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

Good buck! I would shoot him myself.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Congrats!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Thats a nice buck! Job well done sir!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Congrats Longhair! Looks great. :mrgreen:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Great post - thanks!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Congratulations! :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Way to go...nice buck!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Congratulations!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Good post and nice buck. Thanx for the pics. Noted your 1911, apparently you've got good taste in sidearms.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Very nice buck. Like your vehicle too.
ED
Yer never too old
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Top class Long hair :D

Your not JimT in disguise are you? You look a little like him, can't tell what with them shades on :wink:

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
longhair1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by longhair1957 »

Thanks all!

Yep thats my Colt Delta elite 10mm 1911 on my side! Its for the two legged critters as well as any other up and close encounter!

Well my daughter wanted it all in writing for a book she is putting togetther about my life, so I thought I would post the story here for you.

Moved the story to top post
Last edited by longhair1957 on Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
longhair1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by longhair1957 »

Also as you can tell from the story.... I should of just kept my 1895 .405 in my hands that morning as everything came together anyways! :mrgreen:
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Great story! And again, congratulations!
Ricky

DWWC
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Longhair,

Congrats on the deer. It's been a long time since I hunted in AZ. Were abouts is 18B?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
longhair1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by longhair1957 »

J Miller wrote:Longhair,

Congrats on the deer. It's been a long time since I hunted in AZ. Were abouts is 18B?

Joe
Around the Behm Mesa area main access route was the Campwood road out of Bagdad.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

longhair1957 wrote:
J Miller wrote:Longhair,

Joe
Around the Behm Mesa area main access route was the Campwood road out of Bagdad.
Ahhh I'm familiar with that area. My Aunt lives some miles east of Bagdad in or near Yava.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
longhair1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by longhair1957 »

Old post revival

But, I’m back!

Already prepping for next deer season.
This year I will of course bring the 1885 ‘06.
But the 1895 Win. is gone.
I’m planing on using either my 1873 sporting in .45 colt, or
My 1892 deluxe sporting in 44 mag.
Both are 24” barrel models.

Be using my hand loads in all.

Unless I can swing another 1886. Sold my last couple.
( got lured to the dark side for awhile. ) AR’s

Thought I’d pop in and see what all is going on over here.

My wife and I have been doing a bit of exploring lately.
Old 4x4 two tracks through the desert, 1000 year old ruins. Petroglyphs 100 year old mine areas. Etc.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Must be doing something wrong, as all I see is the two words "image".
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
longhair1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by longhair1957 »

Pics were in original post, from 2009.
They were on a picture posting site called hotboats.

I’ll have to find pics in my archives to add them.

I prob shouldn’t have posted in my old thread.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Where ya been, long time no see. :?:
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

longhair1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by longhair1957 »

Well,
For awhile I went to the darkside. Sold most of my pretty levers etc. and got AR’s. Finally unloaded most of them and decided. I want some nice enjoyable rifles. Kinda went rimfire hungry first. Then Levers again.

Then, health problem for the last four years.

I’ve left all actual Social media, and went back to the forum world.