First try with TiteGroup

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

First try with TiteGroup

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I have long been using Unique, but I have a couple of guns that just seem to want to shoot better than they do.

I bought a little TiteGroup because Brian Pearce mentioned that I could get almost 1000 fps behind that 270SAA in a SAA and stay under the pressure limit.

He notes that 7.5 gr is particularly accurate. So I loaded some up and tried it out this morning in that Ruger Bisley I have been messing with.

Offhand at 25 and it is showing promise. This is a 12 shot group. Most hit the center flapper. And it definitely hits with authority.

Not as clean as Unique and I’m not sure why.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
piller
Posting leader...

Re: First try with TiteGroup

Post by piller »

Not too bad.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

The last big powder shortage i ran across a bunch of TiteGroup & bought it, seems its a good powder from
32 H&R - 38 - 357 - 38-40 - 44-40 - 45Colt or 454, in fact i loaded 100. 357 today with 5 gr. of TG & 158 gr
cast bullet, by the way it looks like you do a good job on the steel

ollogger
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

It just so happened that I bought a pound of TG yesterday morning, no real reason other than it was there and reasonably priced. The only thing I've used it for in the past was 9mm range ammo since I shy away from faster powders in big cases. I'll have to check my files, as I save most of the Brian Pearce data but this one must've slipped past me. Thanks for the heads-up.

I've actually been loading just about everything with Power Pistol the last few years, it comes real close to a do-it-all handgun powder. Does real well with that 270SAA bullet also.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've had pretty good luck with Titegroup in .45 Colt. This was only 15 yds, but it was the first time I tried it. It is a bit dirty, but shoots quite well in the Bisley.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

piller wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:49 pmNot too bad.
The misses were definitely me. I could call every one that did not hit that center flapper plate.

I'm interested to see what it will do on a day when I am shooting better.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Hope you can get time to go try that gun and load again.
D. Brian Casady
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

I picked up a couple pounds of it back in '18, IIRC. Haven't done much with it yet, but did load up a box of 380's with it for the little pocket popper. Need to go back to the loading book and see what else it could be used for. Is it the powder that's dirty, or the lube? I've noticed that some powder/lube combinations seem to shoot dirtier than the same powder with a different lube.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I tend to think think that Alliant Power Pistol might yield superior results and burn cleaner, but while I have some, have not tried it yet. But it's the "go to" powder for 10 MM according to Quick Load and the other proprietary powders are not available there and probably never will be for proprietary reasons. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

CowboyTutt wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:57 pm I tend to think think that Alliant Power Pistol might yield superior results and burn cleaner, but while I have some, have not tried it yet. But it's the "go to" powder for 10 MM according to Quick Load and the other proprietary powders are not available there and probably never will be for proprietary reasons. -Tutt
I tried Power Pistol in the 10mm. While it got the velocity up there, I noted that it is very LOUD!

Big Dave and Robert Adams had the same experience. Maybe it is the small case and the way it works in that format. But I have some and can certainly try it out.
Eddie Southgate
Levergunner

Post by Eddie Southgate »

I tried it in .44 Special and .45 Colt and it works very well in both but my powder of choice for both is still Unique . Hot loads in the .44 get 2400 .
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Today while sorting through ammo for Holiday use I found that I DID load up different calibers with TiteGroup. So we'll see how it works shortly, I hope. Wish you'd be there to help me check it out.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

AmBraCol wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:39 pm Today while sorting through ammo for Holiday use I found that I DID load up different calibers with TiteGroup. So we'll see how it works shortly, I hope. Wish you'd be there to help me check it out.
Wish I could my Brother. I really miss being there.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:38 am
AmBraCol wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:39 pm Today while sorting through ammo for Holiday use I found that I DID load up different calibers with TiteGroup. So we'll see how it works shortly, I hope. Wish you'd be there to help me check it out.
Wish I could my Brother. I really miss being there.
Faith, Family, Friends, Firearms - seems like Taffin put them in the correct order of priority. In this case, family before friends and firearms. May she continue to heal and improve in her health is my prayer on behalf of your beloved.
Paul - in Pereira

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Shot Titegroup and Unique today (7.5 gr TG and 8.5 gr Unique). Frankly could not tell any difference.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Scott, its really, really hard for me to remove myself from the "maximum velocity" group of thinking. Just my mind does not currently work that way. For the velocities you are looking at, any number of powders would work just fine. I cannot adapt to this idea. I only know that you will find success in whatever load you settle on. Shootist are going to Shootist Holiday starting next week. Might be the rest of us have to wait a bit before you carry on. Sincerely, -A-
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:46 pm Shot Titegroup and Unique today (7.5 gr TG and 8.5 gr Unique). Frankly could not tell any difference.
In the .44 Special .. .45 ACP and .45 Colt I have used various shotgun powders over the years and found them to be accurate and work just fine. Green Dot and 700X along with Unique have been my favorites and I use them to this day.
IMG_0413.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark in MO
Levergunner

Post by Mark in MO »

I've used Titegroup in 9mm Parabellum for some time now. For me it has proven exceptionally accurate, routinely putting 10 shots into 3" at 25 yards. I'm sure many can shoot much better but for me, shooting two handed unbraced, this is quite good. Once my supply of Unique runs low I'll probably begin working up loads of Titegroup for other handgun calibers.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

JimT wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:04 am
Scott Tschirhart wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:46 pm Shot Titegroup and Unique today (7.5 gr TG and 8.5 gr Unique). Frankly could not tell any difference.
In the .44 Special .. .45 ACP and .45 Colt I have used various shotgun powders over the years and found them to be accurate and work just fine. Green Dot and 700X along with Unique have been my favorites and I use them to this day.

IMG_0413.JPG
That is a rather tight pattern. Shotgun powders seen to like your pistol.
D. Brian Casady
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Jim, you are probably traveling today and will be busy for a week, but Mic and Friends used Longshot powder (usually for shotguns) in a low speed 454 Casull load with Mic's custom 400 grain bullet to astonishing chronograph results. Some of the lowest SD'S and ES's I have ever seen! -Tutt

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

CowboyTutt wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:05 pm Jim, you are probably traveling today and will be busy for a week, but Mic and Friends used Longshot powder (usually for shotguns) in a low speed 454 Casull load with Mic's custom 400 grain bullet to astonishing chronograph results. Some of the lowest SD'S and ES's I have ever seen! -Tutt
Leaving in the AM ... I loaded some 420 gr. bullets for the 454 back in the 1980's. Used Unique. Velocity was under 800 fps. We shot them at a 4'x4' steel plate at 500 yards and had no problem keeping them on the plate. Bud McDonald was sitting in a reclining lawn chair, holding the gun between his knees. He fired. Looked up at me. Looked back at the target. Then CLANG! Time of flight was quite long but they were wonderfully accurate.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

The Longshot loads with the custom 400 grain bullet were between 800-900 fps IIRC. I might even have the data somewhere, but Mic does, you can ask him about it when you see him. I think you should. He is traveling today and will be gone for 2 weeks. But Longshot has probably the best uniformity of anything I have seen in the 454 Casull with heavy weight bullets at lower velocities. Have an enjoyable trip Jim, if you get this message in time! I will probably send it to you privately as well, so you can talk to Mic
about it. I know everyone who is going to the Holiday are really excited! Todd C. cannot make it because he is scheduled for re-constructive shoulder surgery on Tuesday.
He would certainly wish and would like to be there, but he will be out of the game for a while. One of the physically strongest Shootists out there. Very sorry for his
shoulder problems. That being said, he is still working on making moly coated bullets with only one arm, and doing them beautifully. They have a nice blue sheen to them.
Safe travels Jim! See you online soon when you get back. -Andy

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

After a couple of weekends shooting and a couple of hundred rounds, I think that the TiteGroup is more accurate in my guns for sub 14,000 psi loads and big cast bullets. It also gets that velocity right up there.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Alliant claims that Titegroup is a position-insensitive powder, therefor ideal in large capacity cases like .45 Colt. I have shot 6.2 grains in various Rugers and Colts with good results, getting about 850 fps with standard deviations of around 16 fps. My bullets of choice in low pressure .45 Colt loads have been machine cast RNFP 250 grain bullets from SNS Casting.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

If you want some "recoil fun" try some Long Shot! LOL :D

https://www.1911forum.com/threads/longs ... lt.670985/

Glad your having some shooting fun! I'm wrapping up work this week. Then packing to move and giving away tons of stuff. Yuck. :cry:

-Tutt