I'm an idiot

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I'm an idiot

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I was out at the ranch to shoot a Ruger Bisley large frame in .45 Colt.

Its not the smoothest bore or the most accurate revolver I own, but it is very comfortable to shoot.

I put some boxes of mixed ammo that I had loaded, but not labelled (bad idea) over the years and I figured I would get my brass back.

So, I'm shooting along and this gun is just performing splendidly! I'm shooting fist sized groups with everything at 25 yards.

Then I opened a final plastic box and I start dropping cartriges in. When I shot, they were not grouping at all! And they sounded funny too. The report doesn't sound right, instead of a "Boom!" I got a kind of a jet noise. Low recoil though and I was confused because I don't think I would have loaded jacketed bullets this low.....???????

Then I got a stuck case and had to stop shooting. Turns out that I was dropping .44 Magnum rounds in the chambers and firing them!
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Sat May 07, 2022 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I'm an idiot

Post by CowboyTutt »

That will screw up your accuracy every time LOL! Maybe lap the barrel some to cure the roughness, I need to do the same to my Ruger Bisley New Model Blackhawk still. I have the fire-lapping kit, just never have gotten around to it! -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Well, I'll be the first to jump on that same bandwagon then. I've done that myself. :oops:
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

It's called fireforming... :lol:
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

CowboyTutt wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:52 pm That will screw up your accuracy every time LOL! Maybe lap the barrel some to cure the roughness, I need to do the same to my Ruger Bisley New Model Blackhawk still. I have the fire-lapping kit, just never have gotten around to it! -Tutt
I ordered a fire lapping kit from Beartooth bullets....a long time ago and I do not believe I ever recieved it. Covid project....

Follow up. I placed my order on April 15, 2021. I got a thank you confirmation email that day.

I sent a follow up email in July of 2021. To this date, I have not seen a package. But a short search indicates that about that time they went out of business.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Might have to get Jim to teach me to hand lap the barrel.
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Sat May 07, 2022 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

i saw someone "fireform" a 444 case in a 45/70, it happens.
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

Oh well, you're not the first to ever do that...does Lee make a .44 Bulge Buster? :lol:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Not much different. I had both the . 45 and the . 480 at the range. The . 45 brass ruptured. The . 480 caliber Super Redhawk never had a mark on it. I felt stupid.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:30 pm
CowboyTutt wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:52 pm That will screw up your accuracy every time LOL! Maybe lap the barrel some to cure the roughness, I need to do the same to my Ruger Bisley New Model Blackhawk still. I have the fire-lapping kit, just never have gotten around to it! -Tutt
I ordered a fire lapping kit from Beartooth bullets....a long time ago and I do not believe I ever recieved it. Covid project....

Follow up. I placed my order on April 15, 2021. I got a thank you confirmation email that day.

I sent a follow up email in July of 2021. To this date, I have not seen a package. But a short search indicates that about that time they went out of business.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Scott, my "fire-lapping kit" is also from Bear Tooth. Sorry they also went out of business. Any gunsmith should be able to lap your bore, and mine. Taylor Throating, I think I would be more careful of with a gunsmith, but I'm also considering that too also. It appears we are in the "same boat" years later. Reduce constrictions in the bore and chambers....

Thank you friend!

-Tutt or Andy
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

not trying to top your story scott but this might make you feel better. I once put a 416 rigby bolt into a 375HH rifle, both cz550's. This was over 20years ago when I could still fire such guns. I fired a round of 375 with the wrong bolt in, before realizing. No idea the ramifications of that act being the bolt face is opened up more for the 416's case head. I and the gun survived it anyway.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Grizz wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:30 pm i saw someone "fireform" a 444 case in a 45/70, it happens.
Could have been me...BTDT
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun May 08, 2022 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Fortunately the revolver appears to be undamaged. I’ve seen someone here do this intentionally…..a long time ago. I imagine I
Looked pretty silly. I was just pounding the steel…..then I couldn’t hit it at all. Franticly checking the sights……good times.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Its not "quite" the same but I blew up a $1200 compound bow because I got into "the zone" and then forgot to nock an arrow 😕
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I've done it on purpose ... just to show people it will work. They would stay on a combat silhouette target at 20 - 25 yards.

Back in the 1980's we were up at Freedom, WY shooting long distance and one of the then-old Shootists was having problems hitting stuff out past 500 yards. Turned out he had accidentally loaded .44 Magnums in his .45 Colt. They were getting out there ... not accurately ... but you could see the hits.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I was out shooting with my former father in law many years ago. He couldn't figure out why the 03A3 sporter I'd bough him was all over the backstop. While he was checking his scope mounts, picked up one of the empty cases off the bench. Uh, Stan. I think I found the problem.
He'd somehow swapped a box of .270s for .30-06. :D

I poked at him for years after that. Miss that old man.

jb
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

I've stuck 38 supers in a Ruger Speed Six once. Could hit the target but the groups had opened up some, the bullets were 9mm out of a 357! :oops:
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I've seen the 444 in a 45-70 before and Dad had a collection of wonky brass he collected at the range where people had fired the wrong cartridge in a rifle.

Bummer about your firelapping kit but it is easy to make your own lapping bullets. Just get a couple of grits of lapping compound, smear a dab on a steel plate, and roll a cast bullet on it between another steel plate. The steel plates make sure the grit actually gets embedded into the bullet instead of just coating it. I've done this on a few revolvers, the Ruger steel is pretty tough stuff and takes more lapping than a Smith. Alternatively you can can just pour a lap and use a cleaning rod to run it up and down the bore.

Eric
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sounds like a good idea.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

JimT wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:26 am I've done it on purpose ... just to show people it will work. They would stay on a combat silhouette target at 20 - 25 yards.

Back in the 1980's we were up at Freedom, WY shooting long distance and one of the then-old Shootists was having problems hitting stuff out past 500 yards. Turned out he had accidentally loaded .44 Magnums in his .45 Colt. They were getting out there ... not accurately ... but you could see the hits.
Yes, I remember you doing this on purpose the year I was voted in to the Shootists. I don’t think I did anything unsafe. But it took m a while to figure it out
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

AJMD429 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 6:55 am
Grizz wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:30 pm i saw someone "fireform" a 444 case in a 45/70, it happens.
Could have been me...BTDT
this is the actual reason i got rid of all my 30bo ammo, all of it, and replaced that 30 pistol with an "ar-47" upper...

BECAUSE, I KNOW FOR SURE that i could put a 30bo into a 556 upper sometime, somewhere, somehow, and blow it up.

so, for everyone else's safety i converted to the russian 30. and given the possibility that they might be marching into PNW some day, i want an easy source of resupply . . .
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

That makes good sense and I’ve worried about that myself. I popped the cover off of a magazine the other day and it was full of .300 BO. Could have been a problem if I were in a hurry.
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Welcome to the club! Reloaded 45 colt to TC contender/ Ruger levels to shoot in my Interarms 1892, bit of confusion on my part, at any rate they were way to hot. Went back to the manual only to see that I'd missed the 45 colt rifle section which was my original intended loads :? .
JimT
Shootist

300 Blackout fired in 5.56

Post by JimT »

problem.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

wow, great foto. this is exactly why i switched to the commbloc 30.

i thought i read of a lower failing that experiment, but perhaps not
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

In my teen years I owned a Winchester 94 in 30-30 and a Marlin 336 in 35 rem.
I'm sure you see where this is going, yep! I fired on round of 30-30 in the Marlin 35 cal.
I had small metal shaving on my cheek after discharging the Marlin!
No damage to the rifle or myself.
I never made that mistake again!
Johnny :D
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Well dont ever try to blow out your 300 H&H to 375 H&H with a charge of Unique & cream of wheat
while in the house, with the barrel in the garbage can :o

idiot ollogger
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:34 pm...Then I got a stuck case and had to stop shooting. Turns out that I was dropping .44 Magnum rounds in the chambers and firing them!
The only real problem comes at the reloading bench... really easy to size, but, they seem to get hung up getting expanded!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

yooper2 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:59 am I've seen the 444 in a 45-70 before and Dad had a collection of wonky brass he collected at the range where people had fired the wrong cartridge in a rifle.

Bummer about your firelapping kit but it is easy to make your own lapping bullets. Just get a couple of grits of lapping compound, smear a dab on a steel plate, and roll a cast bullet on it between another steel plate. The steel plates make sure the grit actually gets embedded into the bullet instead of just coating it. I've done this on a few revolvers, the Ruger steel is pretty tough stuff and takes more lapping than a Smith. Alternatively you can can just pour a lap and use a cleaning rod to run it up and down the bore.

Eric
I'm going to ream out the chamber throats first (I am renting the reamer) and then I'll look and see if I need to lap. That step alone sometimes solves the problems that are initially attributed to a rough bore or a constriction.

But I think I will follow exactly your recommended plan, using some really soft Hornady Cowboy swaged bullets. They ought to hold the lapping compound well.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:30 pm

I'm sorry to hear that.

Last I checked Veral Smith at LBT molds is still in business. That's where I got my firelapping kit from.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

YEARS ago, I was deer hunting with my Marlin 336 30-30. I had been ground hunting and came across a deer stand but there was no steps going up to it. Being young, I decided I would shimmy up the tree. I removed the shell in the chamber and started the climb up the tree. I soon decided I needed to hang the gun on the tree limb while I made it to the next branch. I seen a broken branch and slipped the loop over the end of the branch. All was perfect for a minute or so, then the motion of me climbing the tree caused the rifle to shift and the lever action opened putting a round into the chamber. About the time I thought well the action isnt closed, the rifle shifted weight and closed the action. I was 10 ' up in a tree with my grasping the trunk with my hands and feet with a loaded 30-30 hanging on a limb pointed darn near at my head. YES, to say I felt like an idiot was an understatement. Needless to say, I jumped out of that tree real quick and spent the next 2 hours trying to figure out how to get a loaded gun out of a tree. I had 2 nice shooters pass by while I was figuring that out. This is the first time I have ever told that story. NOW, all my rifles have slings!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

ollogger wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:22 pm Well dont ever try to blow out your 300 H&H to 375 H&H with a charge of Unique & cream of wheat
while in the house, with the barrel in the garbage can :o

idiot ollogger
:lol: now that made me laugh
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

ok, OK. One I never told. I was sitting below in my unnamed fishing boat in an unnamed harbor in an unnamed state, with my Model 92 25-20 just after I reassembled it. I had taken it apart and carefully scraped out about 50 years of compacted trail dirt. Then in a series of motions that I still don't understand that gun somehow loaded itself up and chose to discharge itself when the barrel was vertical, putting a quarter inch ventilation port through the deck house ceiling.

Shortly after my heart rate settled down I was sitting in the wheel house, sans rifle, when 2 nice young people in blue uniforms paused to ask if I had heard a gunshot. Me? Nope. One fellow said I had a nice looking house plant, and I said thanks Officer.

there, but for the Grace of God . . . , †
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

The only time I ever saw a West German Sig P220 choke was when 'somebody' inadvertently loaded its 45 caliber magazine with 40 &W fmj.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I bought a Bisley in .45 colt the first year they came out. fast forward about 20 years I'm deer hunting on a cold day , it's getting late. had some heavy loads of H110 in it and a nearby stump needed killing. I squeezed off a perfect shot with no earmuffs. :shock: . it was a while before I could hear well again. :oops:
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

If I had a dollar for every time I lit off a round from a magnum revolver, large caliber auto, shotgun or high power rifle without hearing protection, I could buy a brand new set of ears and start the process all over again :)
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Yep....That was me :oops: I think I hit the target, too. :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Blaine wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:46 am
in Capital Forest ?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:28 am
Blaine wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:46 am
in Capital Forest ?
Yep....6 or 7 of us there. Then the Deer Cop ran us off.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

.45colt wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:11 pm I bought a Bisley in .45 colt the first year they came out. fast forward about 20 years I'm deer hunting on a cold day , it's getting late. had some heavy loads of H110 in it and a nearby stump needed killing. I squeezed off a perfect shot with no earmuffs. :shock: . it was a while before I could hear well again. :oops:
Hilarious, I did darn near the same thing. Deer season, late '80's, sitting on a wooded hillside at last shooting light with my first Redhawk. I decided that a knot on the tree trunk over yonder needed shooting. Was shooting the early Black Hills 240 JHP loads, the ones that came in the orange 20 round boxes. I took careful aim while bracing against my left hand, which was against the tree next to me. In addition to the ringing ears I was blinded by all the flash coming off the right side of the gun, since the left side was blocked by the tree - and my other hand...set the glove on fire too.

I wish that I could say that I centered the knot, though it was darn close. That gun would really shoot, shoulda never sold it.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I once tried to zero a new 22 magnum I'd bought. I loaded the magazine up and fired a several rounds and still couldn't get anywhere on the paper. When I dropped the magazine out, I found I'd loaded 17HMR's in my 22WMR!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Thanks for sharing gentlemen. I think I am in good company.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

I went to a shoot at my buddie's I brought my cz 9mil and he had a sig .40 cal long story short the .40 will seat in my mag but hang when tried to go into battery, glad it wouldn't go .. so, you are not the only one stuff happens to.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot