House gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
piller
Posting leader...

Re: House gun

Post by piller »

Even number 5 pellets out of a shotgun go pretty deep into anything they hit. In a pinch, I would use them. PillHer has her own 20 gauge. I have a Mossberg 12 gauge. The flashlights close at hand are 2,000 lumen lights. If they are shining in your eyes, you will be seeing nothing but spots for a few long minutes afterwards. When you are temporarily blind, your options become very limited. If you are one of a group, you have just become the most expendable. By yourself, you have lost control of the situation. My Chihuahua and Chiweenie both wake up at the sound of a cat walking past outside. They wake me up. Neither dog is going to attack anything bigger than a mouse, but they sound ferocious. I wake up, and any intruder is going to be looking for the noise. I may be middle aged, but I still wake up alert when the bark alarm goes off.

What I like about the shotgun is that it is simple to use, and simple to reload when you have just emptied it and are in the middle of an adrenaline dump. In an emergency, your control over small movements becomes shaky if you are scared or nervous. Keep extra shells in a few tactical locations. You might never need them, but I have never heard of anyone being worse off after an emergency which was prepared for.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

coalsmoke, thanks for that. Now I know how much damage they can do. On two legged critters they will likely go clear through! Same with four wheeled critters! :mrgreen:
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I'm going to measure the longest distance I could possibly shoot in my home (it isn't a big house) and pattern at that distance and see exactly what can be expected.

I shot the target in the opening post at about 20 yards, which is really too far.
Coalsmoke
Levergunner

Post by Coalsmoke »

1894cfan wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:12 am coalsmoke, thanks for that. Now I know how much damage they can do. On two legged critters they will likely go clear through! Same with four wheeled critters! :mrgreen:
One person wouldn't even slow one down. I bet they would go through 4 people. These are the only 2 I've ever recovered and it took some pretty big hogs.
Coalsmoke
Levergunner

Post by Coalsmoke »

1894cfan wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:12 am coalsmoke, thanks for that. Now I know how much damage they can do. On two legged critters they will likely go clear through! Same with four wheeled critters! :mrgreen:
One person wouldn't even slow one down. I bet they would go through 4 people. These are the only 2 I've ever recovered and it took some pretty big hogs.
IMG_20200430_135140273.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Coalsmoke wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:41 pm

IMG_20200430_135140273.jpg
:shock: I gotta get me some pure lead!
Woodsloafer2
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodsloafer2 »

Glock 40 10mm with a 1000 lumen pistol light is by the bed...otherwise I have Glock 20 10mm on me during the day or a CZ P07 9mm....all have red dot sights....
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Said it before and I'll say it again....."Say hello to my little friend" :mrgreen:
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

The longest shot I can take in my bedroom is 5 steps. Too close to shoot steel. GI 00 Buckshot and a Mossberg Shockwave. (I think the Remington shoots better because I have a better grip on the stocks but the Mossberg lives in a certain vehicle.). The pattern is a virtual rat hole at this distance and there is no problem hitting a pear leaf that is much smaller than a man's torso.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

The longest range from the back to the front is about 15 steps. This is probably good enough. I just threw the gun up and shot fast, as I anticipate I might in the house. Everything would still stay on a human torso.
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Scott, you just made that cactus all religious! :mrgreen:
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

1894cfan wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:28 am Scott, you just made that cactus all religious! :mrgreen:
Took me a minute to figure out that it was full of holes or "holy."
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

methinks cholla might bite back under that kind of onslaught :D
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Cholla does have a reputation for jumping at you.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Eddie Southgate
Levergunner

Post by Eddie Southgate »

Mines a 1917 model 1912 Winchester 12 gauge with a 20" barrel . When the boys lived at home it was loaded with 7.5 shot . Since they are on their own it carries 00 and slugs.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Mine is a Kel-Tec KS7 12 ga. 18" barrel with a buttstock -- but no longer overall than a Shockwave.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Eddie Southgate wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:23 pm Mines a 1917 model 1912 Winchester 12 gauge with a 20" barrel . When the boys lived at home it was loaded with 7.5 shot . Since they are on their own it carries 00 and slugs.
I wish more shotguns featured exposed hammers.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

AJMD429 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:33 am
Eddie Southgate wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:23 pm
I wish more shotguns featured exposed hammers.
Me too!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

This video features dash and body cam video from a shooting by Houston PD. 40 yards is a very long shot in police work, but it worked in that it stopped the threat with one shot.

https://youtu.be/AbH1-Jeh7wE