The Original Stalking Rifles!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

The Original Stalking Rifles!

Post by Drawdown »

Here's mine and what I've been doing with it since last year. Actually I started this to see, how far & better I could make my Marlin 336. But I've went back to my Mod 64, it's just so special a rifle to shoot, carry, hunt, reload for! I'll pick back up where I left off on the Marlin soon!

I found out last year just how well this Mod 64 shot, really about everything, with any load in any position, cold barrel, hot barrel, mag full or empty But! But especially 2 really good loads, that are more than your typical 30-30 loads, the original 30WCF in 1895 being 160gr bullet at aprox 1,980fps+- a little. We done know how this first of the smokeless powder, flat shooting cartridges took the hunting world by storm, and really is killing more than its share of deer even today! It made us better deer hunters, plus plenty other game!
But I want to show mainly 2 loads, the first I put together in 2019, and the one I'm just finishing up on now, which is a very impressive load! I've heard numerous comments of, " Why even reload for the 30-30, it's at its best with factory ammo, it can't do anymore than it already has!"
Well every cartridge has its limits, bottom line, so why feel that way about any, or why not say that about all! So I love reloading, making my own, for my purpose, and, more than the the original 30wcf is better!
20220402_115458.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Drawdown on Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Re: The Original Stalking Rifles!

Post by Drawdown »

I shot these yesterday, which are the loads I came up with in 2019, I designate them my #8 Loads. They're in Winchester brass, CCI #200 Primers, Sierra 150gr ProHunter FN Bullet, and LVR Powder=37grs, Seated@ 2.528", for an Avg Vel= 2,400fps+ a little usually.
They're actually only slightly faster than the factory Win PowerPoints 150gr, which for anyone who doesn't reload, I've found to be a very accurate and fast load, compared to anything else. It andthe Rem Corelokt being good, and both great hunting bullets, but the Rem is always slower, and now under all the supply demands, impossible to find.
But the #8's in this rifle are extremely accurate, carry a good trajectory and IMO, in an iron sighted rifle a 150yd Max deer round.
But here's a group I shot yesterday, the 1st and 2nd shot marked, them being wide because I had cleaned & copper brushed the bore very well. Couple foul shots always needed, but the next 5 settling into a good group at 60yds.
20220402_150708.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

20220402_120114.jpg
20220402_120055.jpg

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Proof once again that or rather ordinary gun with a rather ordinary cartridge is really all you need.

The gun magazines are always full of the latest cartridge and the latest gun, but nothing really better.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Gotta love a 94 with long barrel and three-quarter magazine!
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Couple very good reasons I prefer my Mod 64, in its rifle configuration, 24" barrel, half-mag, over my Marlin 336 Carbine, 20" barrel?
The longer barrel gives me a longer more precise sight plane, better slight muzzle heavy balance which makes for better off-hand accuracy, and 75-100fps more average velocity with comparable loads!
But one most important being, consistency in P.O.I. regardless of how I hold! My Marlin is very critical of this, and changes POI, by changes in hold, even full mag versus empty mag, and cold vs hot barrel. When I shoot it for load testing accuracy, I load the same 4 dummy rounds in the mag, leaving them there, always supplying the next round to shoot in the mag before working action. And I want the mag near full to duplicate the first shot of a hunting situation, the last shot after emptying the mag will vary! I can't rest it on a bag, I've got to hold it full grip like an off-hand hold, then rest my front hand on a bag, and plant the rear stock tight into my shoulder to be consistently accurate!
I did this test with my Mod 64 to prove to myself there was consistency of POI, regardless everything else, and it'll shoot the same POI. I loaded 5rds in it, shot each shot at the numbered targets, fast enough to just get a good aim, until empty, @ 60yds. The POI stays the same! No barrel bands is the difference I'm sure!
20220402_155929.jpg

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

But now for what I've really just been getting to, but should've done from the start? But maybe it'll inspire someone else?
I just tried the the factory Hornady Leverevolution 160gr FTX factory ammo last summer in this rifle. And Hmm, a 160gr bullet, @ 2400fps, and scary accuracy!
But I'd already settled into my #8's, and left it off on one try. And I'm like everybody else, that ain't no different really, and I got lot more guns, a 30-06 especially raised my interest. But this been in my head all winter, I got to experiment 😅!

Well here's what I've come up with and you can judge yourself, but hay, numbers & performance don't lie! But here's my final target from yesterday, 6 rounds I reloaded. Remington brass, cci primers, 160gr Hornady FTX Bullet, LVR Powder=35.8grsC, and a velocity at 12ft from muzzle @ 2,416fps, which at muzzle I'm assuming 2,420fps, 6 shots, with the one flyer I'm convinced my fault, best 5 of 6 at 1.5", which anyone who shoots iron sights on a sunny day knows can be bettered under right conditions!
So what's the big deal about this? I did the math on Shooters Calculator which I find very accurate. Let's compare these 2 loads alone, the first beinga Sierra bullet, the Ballistic Coefficients being so much more than I ever dreamed, yes, even in the old 30wcf!
20220402_150538.jpg
And my POI changed so much because I adjusted the rear sight for just a little left, but went to far. I'll center it later.
Last edited by Drawdown on Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

My Marlin 30-30 CB handles and shoots the same as your Model 64. Lovely rifles, wished I would have picked up the same configuration in 38/55 when they were still reasonably priced.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Nice shooting!

I've been meaning to get '94's out again. I have my dad's .30WCF and my grandfather's .38-55.
Don't think I've ever bought a box of factory ammo for either one. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

The difference inside 100yds, most everybody done knows. Yap, a 170gr bullet will generally out perform a 150gr with comparable loads-TRUTH!
But couple other factors have come into play lately, that make even more difference than an old set in my ways kind like me knew?
Powder and mostly bullets with a high Ballistic Coefficients. If you haven't tried LVR Powder, you need to. I've used all the other standbys with plenty good results, like 3031, Varget, etc. But in both my rifles, I easily get 100-200morr fps, with better accuracy and apparent less pressure even at a max load.
Add that to the right bullet, it puts the 30-30, biting well into heel of the old great 7x57 Mauser!
The B.C. of the Sierra PH is .185, and it's about dead equal +- a little with the Rem CL, Win PP, and other common 30wcf bullets. But the Hornady 160FTX is .330.
That #8 Load of mine,, which is close to max of the common 30-30 factory rounds, actually mine a little hotter, but let's compare?
The #8, 150gr @ 2400fps zeroed at 130yds, is aprox 1.25" high @ 75yd, -0- @130yd, 6" low @ 200yds. That a killer IMO inside 150yds. But this bullet at 100yds has already dropped to aprox 1,980fps @ 100yds. That's still about even with the original 30wcf load at the muzzle. Good load, it'll hunt well!

My new load with the 160gr ftx @ 2420fps, zeroed @ 130yd, is 1"high @ 60yds, -0- @ 130yds, and only 4.75" low @ 200yds. But the big difference is, at 190yds its still stoking at 1,980fps aprox, or the equivalent of the old 30wcf at the muzzle. Plus, lot less effected by wind! And proven by others, a great expanding bullet at all these velocities! This load is aprox the Ballistic Capable, ft/lbs-Vel, at 250yds as the #8's are at 150yds.
Last edited by Drawdown on Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

I'm like everybody else, all time dreaming of a new or better rifle! And I also remember very well, how it felt to be a young man just starting, barely making a living, seeing all the new stuff, brain washing advertising!
But truth is boys, Winchester, and Marlin, few others, but especially these 2, done perfected "The Der Stalking Rifle" with the 1866, 1873, but especially jump up to the Improvements of the 1892 & 1894, and smokeless powder!
Then in my opinion for my use, in 1935, the Models 64, 71, and the other 2 which I forget, 53 maybe?

But I sure like dreaming about one those Rigby Stalkers, got admit, beautiful rifle, and the 7x57 is a perfect deer cartridge.
Then there's all the .5 moa guaranteed out the box disposable rifle, and all these from $3,000 on the cheap, up to $13,000. And these ain't the custom, they're over the counter. But when they claim this rifle goes back to the origin of deer stalking, B.S., I know better! It all started right here, and these young people, and us old guys need to keep metal&wood alive, cause they've been doing the job all along.
And with a scope if preferred, the 30-30 is just one of them old calibers that'll do even more these days, technology a good thing even for all us!
I found this rifle in a pawn shop, unfired, for $540, and they're everywhere waiting to be put to good use!
You don't need to spend a years wages and dress up like Malcolm Merriweather to enjoy the best in hunting!
Them old levers have already done on this entire continent, everything that's claiming to be done, if you'll only spend lot more money!
Last edited by Drawdown on Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

The 38-55 is the one I've been itching to try for a lot of years,and to start casting. But I've put it off.
Had an infatuation for it ever since reading Townsend Whelen's "Red Letter Days in British Columbia ". But I didn't want to put all $ into Casting at my age already. And probably would've had to buy the rifle new. But if I ever find me a good old used 38-55 it's mine! Or the 375 Big Bore!
Last edited by Drawdown on Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

And on my way from my shooting range, I found this big boys track. Having been thru after I went up, his track in my 4w tracks. Ground dry and hard, adoe print there, that hardly went in ground. Had to be heavy. Mmmm, I already put out a salt lick about 500yds right above here, gonna hunt it. 😳
20220402_135739.jpg
20220402_135632.jpg
And that rifle as you see it, at 7.1lbs sling, butt cover with leather shims to make LOP 14.1", is a HIGHLAND STALKER!
And I'm not putting a long barrel above or better than a short. They all got their better purposes! I love my carbine just as well, it's a hunting rifle like no other! There's advantages to each for intended use! Take here, loose there, uts true! Winchester done covered it all, and them old short carbines will do the job! But a little experimenting, and seeing how good they really are, for what they are! They'd be lot more of em in the woods, and less on the racks for sale!

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I'd forgotten about the LeverL stuff until you mentioned it. A friend of mine gave me a box of .30-30s and it was the best group I've ever gotten out of dad's 94.

My 38-55 belonged to my mom's father. I got it and several other Winchesters when he passed away. Lucky for me, all my cousins are communists. :D
I'll have to get a couple of pictures of it. It looks like it got left out in the barn, but the bore is perfect and a great shooter.
I lucked out at an auction years ago and picked up 2000 cast bullets for $50. Still have about 1500 left. I've had really good results with Barns JFPs, but they can be hard to find some times.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

2ndovc, that's a fine looking old 94, wood & metal. That ammo is as accurate as I can make it in my Marlin with iron sights, and I think aprox 2,335 fps, so I'd say it'll be close to that in yours, that's quite a load! I never had really paid much attention to B.C. until I got to fooling with this. I know Speers H.C. bullets has quite a bit higher B.C. than most, and they're great quick killers!
I'd be very interested to see what FTX bullet would do in a 35Rem and 348 with the right powder.

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

This morning I stopped by my local trading post to pick up a few pair of Carhart jeans.
No jeans in my size. They had a nice old Winchester 94 with 26-inch barrel in 38-55.
Somebody attempted a rebluing job and failed miserably!
It had the Win. logo on the tang, so pre-1940.
Ser.# was just over 1 million.
Why am I still thinking about going back for it!
38-55 is one caliber that has alluded me!
Johnny
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

64's.......yeah, they are nice. My grandfather carried one when he was a warden in the Allagash. I'm just not a pistol grip guy. And it's so thick here, I'm not convinced its the best choice.
I have standard 64s in 30-30 and 32WS. A scarce factory short rifle in 30-30, and my favorite, a hybrid with a straight grip crescent butt. It was an early rifle with a factory installed 64 front half. Of the 4, this is the only one I've carried in the field and shot a deer with.

Hey Johnny......the 38-55 is never a mistake up here. A fantastic cartridge. And.....you are lucky to live in the place where it was wildly popular. I have 5, and have owned several others.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Jog, if you can afford it without a conflict, get it get it over with, got be a very very useful rifle!
Wheu Old Win, beautiful family! I 👍 Luke em all!
I've never seen a 38-55 around here, but I'm still kicking, long time yet I hope, so?
I like and enjoy a lot of guns, my Marlin, couple bolt actions. But until I got the 64, I didn't realize how much better I'd like it. Truly it handles and carries like one the old browning or Remington auto or pump 22's, my fist wraps all way around it finger &thumb touching, and I can sling it left side barrel down, and have it shouldered, ready fire in about 1-2 seconds. It weighs maybe 7lb 2oz empty, and in these mountains the Difference between that and a 8.5lb rifle is unreal, I hardly pay the 64 any attention, because of it being so lean and light. I'd been around all my life, had my Marlin since 1981, but I never realized how different until I hunted with one!
I never could figure why Herb Parsons chose the 71, to really do the shooting in Win 73, but now I do. And the 71 and 64 was 2 of his favorites. There had to be something to them for his choice, it wasn't on account of eye candy or the name!
20220325_152124.jpg

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Drawdown wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:58 pm Jog, if you can afford it without a conflict, get it get it over with, got be a very very useful rifle!
Wheu Old Win, beautiful family! I 👍 Luke em all!
I've never seen a 38-55 around here, but I'm still kicking, long time yet I hope, so?
Thank you sir! These are my 38-55's. There is a 26" octagon rifle (serial #33xx) missing in the pic. It is over to my dad's place. I've had a few others in both rifle and carbine configuration over the years that I've sold or traded. These 5 I have hung onto.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

I like the open barrel sight & tang sight set up, very useful. My Marlins fixed that way.

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Tang sights are excellent, but I'm much less of a fan on a rifle I am moving with. Open sights I will avoid at all costs, especially if the target is moving. If forced, I prefer the carbine ladder sight. While it is less precise, I find it much easier and faster to align in field shooting conditions on less defined targets that may be moving.

Almost like they were made for that. :D
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

While not "period correct", I prefer aperture sights on my Marlins (30-30 & 45/70). Quick target acquisition and very accurate.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

TraderVic wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:53 pm While not "period correct", I prefer aperture sights on my Marlins (30-30 & 45/70). Quick target acquisition and very accurate.
As do I.
In my above picture, the factory 64/94 on the left also had a 56 Lyman installed when it was returned. This rifle is deadly, and one of my most accurate Winchesters.
The 64 short rifle on the right also wears a 56.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Just inherited a 64. Story as best I remember is when my dad got out of the Army in 72, he and the rest of the kids got the rifle for my granddaddy. My dad being the oldest of five I think paid three shares since one uncle was mentally disabled and my aunt was still a child. Was his deer rifle until he died in 96. My uncle administered the estate and held on to it a while and one day gave it to my dad. It had a side mounted scope on it, has that 70s purple to the receiver with rust freckles. Not really my cup of tea as far as lever actions go with a barrel longer than most my bolt guns. My dad said said that cheap scope and tacky mount had to go. I bought my dad a Williams peep for it one year and he mounted it. I know he shot it some but I don’t think he hunted it favoring his cutdown 7mm-08 and highly accurate 7mmWSM. My daddy passed February 5. Now I have all three of those rifles even after dividing up with my little brother. I got all the reloading components and 160 FTX, LeveRevolution, 3031, and brass are included. The rifle does handle every nimbly and the long barrel makes the sighting look very crisp. It feels a lot lighter than my 444S or my Rossi full length rifle