Appalachian Mountain Rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Appalachian Mountain Rifle

Post by Drawdown »

20220223_113850.jpg
Well I've been looking for my ultimate hunting rifle for some time, probably like most everybody else! And my changing health is a definite factor, eyesight especially. I've killed every deer in the past number of years with a 30-30 levergun, but in 2019, I shot but never found what would've been easily my best buck ever. Now the loss effected me mostly because I just lost a deer that's well wounded, not the rack size. It really bothered me, first one I ever lost.
I decided then, especially because of my eyes and my breathing being so bad, I gotta hunt different, ready to reach out longer. Now most the deer I've killed have been inside 40yds, and that'll remain. Several inside 20yds. But these big mountains have large reclaimed strip mines that are a haven for deer, and a 500 yd shot is often possible, 200yd very possible.
I found this jewel last summer, a made in Finland 1975 Tikka M65 30-06. Now this is one the first models they made, before Sako bought them. I did the homework before, and the M55 short action and M65 long action, are considered by many Finns to be even better than the Sakos of then! Honest opinions. And I believe it now, I love this rifle, all walnut & steel, every piece!
Well I've also made it very versatile, by putting on the Warne Maxima steel mounts and Maxima Quick Detach Rings, and I can add or remove the scope in about 15 seconds, and holds zero. The iron sights are excellent and I knew when I bought it, it had been owned by a hunter. The sights zeroed perfect already. And this rifle with the right loads is a tack driver!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Appalachian Mountain Rifle

Post by Drawdown »

20220223_115122.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

These are my handloads I call 06#1's, which are a 150gr Speer HC at 2800fps+, and these at 100yds. The 4th shot flier was my fault
20220223_153220.jpg

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

The same loads at 60 yds with the iron sights.
20220225_143621.jpg

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

And, it's my 30-30/06. Just getting started, but here's some regular 30-30 bullets I shot through it, Sierra 150gr Prohunter FN with 3031 at little over 2500fps.
20220225_143658.jpg

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Speer 180gr, and if I want to go for bear, I can load it up with 220gr bullets
20220225_143906.jpg

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

I mostly hunt places where I don't need a scope, most shots 20-30 yds. Then I can go up to a Mine strip, and 100-250yds is the norm! And I'm set to carry my scope easily, protected, then take it out put it on in a minute.
Like Townsend Whelen said, the 30-06 is never a mistake!
20220223_115152.jpg

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

My shooting range is a Mine reclaim, typical of the terrain for miles and miles. I wanted a model 71 in 348 for an upgrade, but knew I'd never find one, short of the internet. I've got a Rem 700 in 270W also, great rifle, accurate. But this rifle is IMO, well let me honestly say after having shot it plenty in last 7 months?
Disregarding $ value, just the actual value, usefulness of the rifle, I wouldn't trade it now for a pre64 Mod 70 Win, unless I was first allowed to shoot it plenty for comparison!

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

And in case anybody is curious, my primary load is Accurate 4064 powder in Win cases, 150gr Speer HotCor at 2810fps. And I've shot it numerous times 5 shot groups less than 3/4", and they're zeroed same POI with the iron sights. It'll shoot some boat tails good also, and heavier bullets well, but the flat base hot cors just love this rifle and powder. The 4064 is amazing in my 30-30s also, no speed demons but always Accurate seems from starting load to near max! And the Hot Cors made me happy, they're one the cheaper bullets, and death in a 30-30 for deer, so I don't doubt em in my 06!

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sounds like you got a good one.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Nice rifle, good shooting.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Same load at 252 yds. The first shot I forgot and aimed at the upper +. I had been sightings and recording where the Ballistic Plex reticle of my Burris scope was in inches for various ranges. The red dot mark shows the actual bullet placement of the first shot.
Most people zero a 30-06 at 2-2.5" high at 100yds, and this is fine in mostly open country. But here, I've had to thread a bullet through thick stuff to make a kill.
20220225_155605.jpg
Zeroed at 100yds, the bullet path is always inside a 1" circle, once it goes past aprox 8-9yds, from there all way to about 125 yds. I don't rely on the myth of brush busting bullets. I can shoot through a keyhole with this sighting, and I've done it!
Then use the Ballistic markings for anything past 125yds, I practice with my scope and know which + to use.

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Yes I do, I'm very happy with it! It's written on the barrel, Bofors Steel, which is a special steel used in a lot of things. I read up on it, but exactly what it is slips my mind, there's probably some people on here more familiar with it than I am. It's a heavy rifle, almost 9lbs with the scope. I've completely disassembled everything but the bolt when I got it to clean and check. Even the floor plate, trigger guard, magazine, everything is good steel! I love this rifle, and a perfect trigger! I just sprayed the bolt heavily under pressure with Gun Medic, let it drain & dry.

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

That will do the job. Pretty gun too.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Outstanding rifle! Tikka rifles, especially of that era are incredibly accurate. I have a Finn Nagant sporter with a Tikka barrel that will shoot 1" groups at 100 yds over and over.
It's hard to tell from this picture, but it was the first time out with my handloads at 100 yds. The target on the right is torn a bit, but was just over an inch. A little tweaking got it down under 1".

I've killed a lot of MI and PA whitetail with my grandfather's '03. From 125 gr bullets up to 180s, I've only had one go more that 25 yds. mostly Sierra bullets and IMR 4895.

Good luck with your new rifle, it's a trophy for sure!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

2ndovc, I do like that Nagant. The Finns an interesting people, lot like us. And they take a regular Nagant and perfected it, then put the Russians on run with it. Sounds familiar! But I've got a regular 91/30 made Ishvesk 1940. It's shot out bad, but with good ammo, I could still deer hunt with it out to 200yds. Best iron sights I've ever used, love them! Good looking stock!

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks! I have a Finn 39 / Sako that will outshoot any other military rifle I own with the exception of my Remington 1903A3.
I also have in the works a P-14 Enfield being made with the dame Boyd's stock in a medium/ heavy target rifle chambered in .303 British. I bought my first Enfield No. 4 when I was 15. I have a couple Enfield rifles that are good shooters, a Savage No.4 and a Lighgow No. MkIII are the best of the bunch, but wanted a good .303 target rifle.
Can't wait to get my hands on that one.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Great rifle and caliber.
I hunted with my 30-30 until I was 28. When I wanted more power and I went to a BLR in 308. It handles like a 30-30 but with more power. One of my favorite deer rifles.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

"...Zeroed at 100yds, the bullet path is always inside a 1" circle, once it goes past aprox 8-9yds, from there all way to about 125 yds. I don't rely on the myth of brush busting bullets. I can shoot through a keyhole with this sighting, and I've done it!
Then use the Ballistic markings for anything past 125yds, I practice with my scope and know which + to use.
.."

All that makes sense and is excellent. The same philosophy applies to any gun, actually.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

You made a good choice BenT. I looked at a few BLRs, great rifle, especially for the $ IMO! And my primary loads I'm using are actually the equivalent of the standard 308 load. It's about perfection for eastern deer hunting! I can load it hotter-faster, but why wear on the barrel more than needed!
Sighted my way my rifle is very useful hunting rifle, that greatly reduces error in heavy cover. And I remember the one of the primary uses of Bofors Steel. Anti Aircraft Barrels. Long range accuracy capabilities and could withstand the heat of repeated firing.

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Reliable, repeatable accuracy is always useful. Knowing that your rifle is going to put the bullet inside of a 1 inch circle every single time can give the shooter a little boost of confidence for a successful hunt.

Who was the person often quoted as saying only accurate rifles are interesting?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Mr Rifleman, Townsend Whelen

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Good to confirm everything I was 90% sure of, today I did! I confirmed my zero after putting on the QD Rings and Mounts. Shot 9 rods of my primary hunting reloads and they gave me AvgVel=2809fps. Hmm, 1fps difference. I can live with that. Everything about this load I'm happy with as I can be!
I also tried 2 factory loads I have, Win PP's 150gr,and I got AvgVel= 2890fps and PPU 150grSP AvgVel=2878fps. Both POI is aprox 2" high. Gives me the old std 30-06 zero, fine by me!
And the main load I was most interested in trying today, was factory Rem CL 180gr and man was I pleased and kinda surprised! AvgVel=2660fps, 1.5" high, and best group I shot today!
I couldn't be happier in a true hunting rifle, and sure happy with the performance of the 180gr CL's, if I want to use iron sights in heavy brush, I'm ready, or go for bear!
There's 3 rifles I sure had in my heart in my old age, 1st being the Mod 71 Win, but with my eyes, I'm so much better off with this rifle scoped, plus longer range capable. But I know I could load this rifle up with some 200-220gr RN, and do anything the 71 could only better! 2nd&3rd is Pre64 Mod 70 and for sure always wanted a Browning FN Mauser 98, both in 30-06. But I can say again, with what I know now of this Tikka, I don't think I'd trade. This rifle cycles so smooth and perfect, so much better than my Rem 700!
I also been scouting a new hunting & shooting area closer to home, and I found perfect place, about 10 minutes on my 4w from home. See the rub on the little pine on left? Turkey scatching everywhere!
20220305_122723.jpg
The ridge in background is a spur off Big Black Mt, the peak about 1/4 mile to left, the highest point in Ky. This is known as the black bear capital of ky, and if I get the urge to hunt them. I'm ready!

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Fantastic rifle in a great cartridge and you shoot it very well.

I've killed a few deer with the '06 and it never disappoints. Only one of mine was over 300 yards, about 340 by my calculation and google earth's. I can tell you at that distance, a 150 grain Nosler BT (started at 2944 fps) sounds like a ball bat on a hung side of beef. And he collapsed in his tracks.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Sarge, I been trying to find some Nosler BT's for it and my 270 since the day I got em, but no can find. They have a huge amount of believing fans!

"Better drawdown Alvin!"