Diesel Tractor won't run...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Diesel Tractor won't run...

Post by AJMD429 »

My 25-20 Winchester...

sadly I don't actually have one of those... :cry:

. . . . I mean my 2520 John Deere has been running fine including in cold weather colder than today. Today was around 20°F and it started with reasonable vigor but the engine runs approximately a second and then promptly shuts off. I'm not going to mess with it tonight but figured tomorrow morning I'd better see what I can do.

There's fuel (treated with SeaFoam) in the tank but there was ice in the bottom of the bowl that collects condensation, so I shut off the fuel valve above it, took it in the house, thawed it out, and cleaned it. Reinstalling it and opening the fuel valve didn't help much, and at first, as expected, the engine had to turn over a bunch to move fuel before it would try to start. Then it was the same. It would start reasonably easily then after about 1 second quickly stop.

I'm thinking maybe there's ice in the fuel line someplace else, or that one of the engine cutoff switches is stuck. The ones I know of are on the dashboard implement switch that activates the PTO, one on the gear shift (or at least between it and the transmission someplace) which activates if it's not in neutral, and one under the seat that activates if you're not sitting in the tractor. It was in neutral, the power take off switch was pushed into the "off" position, and I was sitting in the seat, although I realize that switches often vulnerable to malfunction.

So I figured tomorrow I would back the pickup truck next to the tractor put a huge tarp over the tractor and the rear of the pickup and idle the truck for about 15 minutes to warm up the air (and hopefully gas line) under the tractor with exhaust, then try to start it. If that fails then I will bypass the seat switch temporarily, make sure I tap on or wiggle or lubricate the implement switch and transmission shift, and try again.

I'm reasonably good at diagnosing humans but sometimes not so good when it comes to machines. Am I missing something else I should check or try?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Diesel Tractor won't run...

Post by kaschi »

In this windy below 32 degree weather, I always make sure to put some anti gel additive in mine. So far I've never had a problem.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

thinking you do not water to make it to the injectors or the pressure pump. you know that. right?
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

You could also try some #1 diesel fuel.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Not familiar with your tractor, but if it was my red tractor, I would check for dirty fuel filters.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

After you get the lines thawed out, disconnect the lines at the injector end and blow them out with air... you do not want water in the injectors. A simple tarp over the engine in cold temps will keep the lines from freezing (fuel jelling). #2 diesel starts to jell at temps in the 20ºF range. A little anti-jel additive in the fuel will keep it flowing down to around 10ºF. A furniture blanket also works well. Take the fuel filter off and check that the fuel isn't "cloudy".... a sure sign of your fuel jelling.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Doc, get yourself a jug of Power Service 911 to have on hand during the winter. SeaFoam is good stuff but not for gelled fuel. The 911 stuff will thaw the fuel. It's also a good idea to change the fuel filter, add a bit of 911 to the filter housing( if possible) . Water , ice on the fuel filter ain't good. And most importantly keep the tank FULL in the cold weather.
It wants to run so it seems to be fuel related.
Add WARM fuel if possible, yes stop the wind from blowing directly on the engine.
I used to fight this problem every day with a 1984 Case wheel loader that never saw any preventative maintenance until I was hired.
You can get it running!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Do you have winter diesel in your tractor or standard off road diesel ?
It sounds like your diesel has gelled up in your injectors.
Here in WI (all over the Upper Midwest), all of the co-ops and oil companies mix a "winter blend" of about 20% gasoline with 80% diesel.
I use this blend exclusively during winter....plus...winter diesel treatment.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

I also have a tank heater I use to warm up the engine for 1 1/2 - 2 hours prior to starting. I have this on a timer. FWIW, I have an IH766 80 hp tractor that I use here on my farm. Looks like the forecast says I'll be plowing snow again in a day or two.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

You might not want to try this, but, back during WW2 on the Russian front the Germans noticed that Russian fighters wouldn't have much of a problem during winter ops. One day the Germans captured a Russian mechanic and asked him how they kept their fighters going during the winter, he said they opened the lower cowlings and placed a large pan with GAS under them and lit them off to warm the engines before starting. The Germans were rather dubious about this but tried it anyway on one of their Bf109s! Worked a charm and they started using this method from then on. Russian Mechanic should have kept his mouth shut! :shock:

On another note, If you ever find yourselves in the tropics with foot fungus, try peeing on your bare feet and letting them dry. US troops found this out from one of the natives on Guadal canal after the island was taken from the Japanese and being used for training and R&R. :roll:
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Doc,
Your starting and then dying symptoms sound exactly like what my JD diesel does when I forget to open the valve between the fuel tank and the engine.
I usually turn off the the valve after using the tractor. Turning on the valve is part of my start up ritual along with checking oil, water, etc.

Sometimes I forget the fuel valve.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Maybe I’ll combine the treatments and pee on the engine.... :o

Guess I’ll go try to open up the fuel lines and flus out any water... :|

First I’ll open the line somewhere and crank it to see that fuel comes out.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

if you do pee on the engine, at least it will be warm water. :mrgreen:
33wcfshooter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 33wcfshooter »

If you can get the tractor into a heated garage or get a gun heater and tent the tractor with a tarp it should help. Change the filters and bleed the lines. Best to get winter mix and add some power services 911 white bottle. The 911 red bottle will help when it starts to gel but sounds like it's past that point and either has to be heated up or drained. Hope it gets warmer and this helps,know how it feels been there (but with a lot of cows blatting to be fed added a little more stress to it).
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Can't add much but when you do get it running...and you will.......don't use off road diesel. Lot of that sits and collect moisture along with aging and is not replenished like on road diesel is....

If your a farmer and use lots of diesel then yes, off road diesel is necessary for financial reasons but even those guys have it delivered so it's relatively fresh......for the guy like me who cuts his grass with a Kubota, it's not worth using questionable fuel. I buy fresh onroad diesel using 3 five gallon jugs and when they are gone....about 6 weeks....I go out and get it again. Change filters regularly and like other guys have said, keep the tank full.

Plus, I don't like any of my equipment outside even if you have a tarp.....I keep my stuff in the garage or the barn away from underground moisture, wind, and so forth.

Good luck Doc and I have a very nice CL Marlin 25-20 that sometime this year will be put on the auction block....Gunny gets first crack at it....... :D ----00
Last edited by Sixgun on Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

AJMD429 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:52 am .
Maybe I’ll combine the treatments and pee on the engine.... :o

Guess I’ll go try to open up the fuel lines and flus out any water... :|

if you think you might have water in the fuel line, disconnect the fuel to the injector AND the pressure pump inlet. a bit of water can blow the tip off of an injector. when you open those lines, crank a bit to catch what comes out at the top, clear the lines until you have purged all fuel, all the way to the water trap. when they are empty, refill the system starting at the lowest fitting. i don't know your engine but this is how i got a Cat running on a tugboat on a dark and stormy night, etc. after it starts you can pee on it
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hey now I've already called DIBS on that Marlin!! :lol:

Just don't pee in the tank Doc or you'll have the same problem all over again! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Some good videos on YouTube (at least they don't censor engine repair stuff... :) )...

First I have to locate the lines and such.

https://youtu.be/M8izUUNeY44

At least it's warm outside today.

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Just a thought for the future. Get some electric heat tape and wrap the fuel lines and perhaps put some on the fuel tank. Plug it in when it sits in cold weather. It should keep the fuel from gelling and will help with water separation. Of course, you need a power source wherever you park the tractor.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

A portable heater and tarp work for our automobiles

The big problem is probably that I hadn't drained the water condensation trap for awhile... :oops:

Anyhoo.... GOT IT RUNNING...!

I use 'road' diesel. Will check out the other 'drying' additives too.

Thanks for the help guys...!

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

So you gave it a diuretic, and now need to make it do a stress test. Yuo doctored ot right up.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

how do you contain your diesel supply? a steel tank will make an amazing amount of water. the way we managed fuel was with a catch can fed from the bottom that can be drained. like av-gas from a wing tank. and then an outlet up off the bottom of the tank that comes thru the end cap with another water separator plus fuel filter. sounds elaborate, but it's super easy fuel treatment.

GLAD YOUR ENGINE IS RUNNING
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yea...good deal doc! You be's back on da road...or driveway......it's a good feeling when you fix a major problem that's broken. Last summer my 35K Kubota just stopped...dead.....nothing....no dash lights....nothing.....that can be aggravating on a much needed piece of equipment and knowing the dealer charges $200 just for pick up and delivery back plus probably $200 an hour labor....these people are rip offs......

Long story but I traced it to a safety switch....trial and error......

Then a month later the mower deck gear box took a S..that one cost me $900+
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Good deal Doc!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I’ve got a JD 4200 that’s diesel . I had issues a few years back with starting in cold weather . At the time it stayed in an unheated Butler Building . When I got rid of the MB the tractor moved to the heated garage . With a new battery and staying in the garage start up was no longer an issue . Now that’s not to say you might not have some other issue , but that’s my somewhat similar story .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

As others have said - keep the tank full with fresh fuel.

-Stretch