Breakfast - Most Important Meal of the Day

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Breakfast - Most Important Meal of the Day

Post by Griff »

Especially after some 50 years of trying, I finally came close to replicating my grandmother's tidy little breakfast. She might not have been a great cook, nothing imaginative except what her Tennessee hillbilly upbringing taught her, but she was GREAT at it!

The late Mrs. Griff was never interested in breakfast, but I happen to love it. She'd sometimes eat if I fixed it, but rarely bothered except for Sunday's pancakes. Somewhere after my grandmother passed just short of my 19th birthday, I tried slicing potatoes like grandma, many, many attempts then over these many years since; and finally just gave up.

After being widowed, and taking the time and patience to have what I remember as the best breakfasts of my life, I decided I'd give it a whirl whenever I'm home and have time and the ingredients! Plus. having gotten tired of scrambled eggs on nearly a daily basis, I began practicing slicing potatoes by hand as my grandmother did, like thick potato chips... then fried in bacon grease, until cooked, but still soft, adding over easy or med eggs on top...
DSCN1405[1].JPG
I'm sure the Doctor's about will have something negative to say... but save it... tastes too good to pass up... and the feeling of accomplishment is great also! The fact that I can't do it as fast as she could is tempered with the knowledge that by the time she passed on at just shy of 90, she'd probably had 70-75 years of practice!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Breakfast - Most Important Meal of the Day

Post by Oldncrusty »

Looks mighty fine. Eggs on taters is a staple of mine. Usually with onions and peppers mixed in. And cheese on top.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day, ill eat breakfast for lunch & dinner too! Pancakes or waffles with over easy on top, some kinda pig and im a happy camper!
2 things I regret not learning from my grandmother was her pie crust and her bread recipes!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

My wifes favorite breakfast is one of my grandmothers recipes. Potatoes diced thick, fried in bacon grease with onions and bell peppers. Then chopped bacon is added and once almost done I add 4 whole eggs. Seasoned with salt, pepper, sage and rosemary. She will practically lose all table manners when eating it 🤣
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Looks perfect!
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

That's what I would call a great start to the day... :D Shirley often cooks up something similar for breakfast.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

I've incorporated a potato into my breakfast the last few years.
It sticks to your ribs. Mostly just potato onion and eggs.
Sometimes ham or bacon on a weekend.
Just like grandma use to make!
Johnny :D
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Man, that looks good !!
What time is coffee and eggs Griff ??
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Looks good Griff i can`t eat bacon anymore because of lack of teeth :roll:
When i was a kid and stayed at Grandma`s i`d ask her what`s for breakfast and she would say dry bread and ear slaps , we had oatmeal with raisins in it every time. :roll:
Now we have eggs, hash browns and sausage or ham. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Made pancakes the other day for the first time in maybe two years. The smell and taste rushed me back to childhood. Mom also made waffles with a little bit of finely diced ham in the batter. Omigosh!
Love my biscuits and gravy, too -- and when I am really ambitious I will make restaurant-quality hash browns.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Looks Great Griff ! One of My favorites is corn beef hash and eggs ,which All the Grand kids love. One of them asked Me how I learned to make perfect eggs all the time . I said I learned from My Grandpa 60 years ago . the look on His face was priceless. :shock: ..... :lol: .
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I love the taste of breakfast food, and often have it for lunch, and even dinner sometimes. But had so many stomach issues through most of my adult life that I rarely eat breakfast, unless it's close to noon when I do. I get together every Monday morning around 9:00 a.m. with the guys in our car club for breakfast, but usually just a couple eggs and country potatoes, with toast. It is a stuff shoot how that sits on my stomach every week, but about 50-50 if it's OK, or not. But I enjoy the guys, so it's the one day I eat breakfast close to breakfast time.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

This thread caused me to have 2 over easy, bacon and waffles tonight! ( plug for Snoqualmie Pass pancake mix) :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

This rememberin' stuff reminded me that as I kid I grew up to mom's Pyrex percolator bubbling in the background brewing coffee for the grownups while us kids would wolf down the "canpakes."
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

PillHer likes her eggs runny. She uses them instead of syrup on pancakes. I prefer my eggs scrambled and almost overcooked. Allergic to bell peppers. I love breakfast burritos with potatoes, sausage, scrambled eggs, and nopalitas with melted cheese and pico de gallo. To me, there is nothing better. Pico de gallo is perfect with jalapeños or even serranos. Habañeros in it give me an upset stomach. I have quit eating pancakes as they have too many carbs for me.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Burritos, try some Stokes Green Chili with Pork! Heck its great on fries, burgers too!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Unfortunately, so much of the various flavorful foods we like are high carbs, just not fair !
I love pancakes, but rarely treat myself due to the carbs. Heck, real maple syrup ( all I'll ever use up here) is high carb.
.....back to bacon and eggs, which is just fine. There is a meat processor near me that makes very good venison bacon.