Three year old post on Pittsburgh bridge

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Three year old post on Pittsburgh bridge

Post by AJMD429 »

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthrea ... e-collapse

Yet the city has the gall to ask for MORE money, when they clearly weren't doing their JOB in the first place... :roll:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Three year old post on Pittsburgh bridge

Post by TraderVic »

My son is a civil (structural) engineer. He designs, builds, inspects bridges.
It will be interesting to hear what he learns about this incident.
About five years ago I accompanied him on 60 Bridge inspections over three or four weeks in Brown County (Green Bay), WI. He hired me (gopher) to help with incidental stuff while doing these inspections.
Anyway, reflecting back, he probably condemned 5-8 % of the bridges inspected.
Since that big bridge collapse in the Twin Cities 15-20 years ago, all bridges in the U.S. must be inspected every two years.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Reading the thread above , it's plain to see the bridge should have been closed long ago. steel girders rusted completely through... :shock: .
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

.45colt wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:36 pm Reading the thread above , it's plain to see the bridge should have been closed long ago. steel girders rusted completely through... :shock: .
On the news last night, it was stated this bridge was inspected in September, 2021.
We'll be hearing about this..
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

There are only three things we blame these days:

a) it's Trump's fault because orange man bad
b) the NRA
c) climate change
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

AJMD429 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:03 pm .
There are only three things we blame these days:

a) it's Trump's fault because orange man bad
b) the NRA
c) climate change
You forgot "systemic racism". :roll:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

SloJoe was hours away making a speech in PA about BBB infrastructure.
You are free to draw your own conclusions.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Blaine wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:18 pm SloJoe was hours away making a speech in PA about BBB infrastructure.
You are free to draw your own conclusions.
Yeah, what a "coincidence". :roll:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Years ago I read a report in a trucking magazine about how ½ the bridges in America should be technically "condemned". It cited lack of maintenance, neglected inspections and simply ignored inspection reports when they were done. Missouri has signed in most of their bridges citing the weight limit... I've sat in back ups on several and tried to calculate the weight of the traffic sitting on it... every time I came up with a number that exceeded the weight limit by at least twice the posted limit. I-44 between I-275 & I-55 is the worst! So is the bridge in Kansas City on I435 over the Missouri River... roaring along at 65 mph you don't feel the flex of the bridge... but creeping along at 5mph you can feel the deflection in it as other trucks pass you at 5-½ mph! It can be downright scary if you think too long about it!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Sleepy Joe was there the same day a few hours later to, believe it or not, discuss infrastructure, bridges, etc. Looks like he should have been there in the morning. :lol:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Griff wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:44 pm Years ago I read a report in a trucking magazine about how ½ the bridges in America should be technically "condemned". It cited lack of maintenance, neglected inspections and simply ignored inspection reports when they were done. Missouri has signed in most of their bridges citing the weight limit... I've sat in back ups on several and tried to calculate the weight of the traffic sitting on it... every time I came up with a number that exceeded the weight limit by at least twice the posted limit. I-44 between I-275 & I-55 is the worst! So is the bridge in Kansas City on I435 over the Missouri River... roaring along at 65 mph you don't feel the flex of the bridge... but creeping along at 5mph you can feel the deflection in it as other trucks pass you at 5-½ mph! It can be downright scary if you think too long about it!
Yeah I would think you should engineer a bridge so that if bumper-to-bumper semis loaded to full weight were in all lanes, it would still be sufficient.

Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

Put they won't let you drive your truck on the roads here in PA if it has a rusted out fender.