Hepburn project

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Hepburn project

Post by marlinman93 »

Got a call from my buddy Gordy yesterday morning to tell me he'd finished fitting up my Hepburn's new barrel! The old one had been poorly relined, and it bulged the chamber after about 6-8 shots. It was a .40-70SS, and I decided to change it up and have the new barrel done in .40-65 Win.
We ordered a #4 weight Green Mountain barrel in 35" length, with 1:16" twist. Old barrel was 30" and slightly heavier, so I asked Gordy to trim this one to 34" for long range shooting. The Hepburn is a double set trigger action, and I wont be restoring the action or stocks. Both are pretty decent, and I'll rust blue the barrel and aage it so the finish matches the age of the action and stocks well.
I had Gordy cut the dovetail up front smaller to use a standard 3/8" front windage globe I have. Original was a .467", which limited sight choices. He also d&t the barrel for target scope bases so I can hang one of my Fecker, or Unertl scopes on it to work up loads, and then go to iron sights after that. Tang sight is the original Hepburn long range on the rear, which has very limited windage adj., so with the change to windage Lyman globe up front it will make for more adjustment if cross winds pick up.
We were surprised how nicely finished the new GM barrel is right out of the box! It wont take 30 minutes for me to polish it a little more before beginning the bluing process! I had Gordy leave the gun in pieces so I can assemble it once the barrel is done.

Weather is actually changed to pretty mild lately, so hopefully it will stay that way when I'm done and can get some shooting done in the 50's we have currently!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Hepburn project

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Vall, that's a wonderful project. First time I saw a Hepburn "in the flesh," Dave Gullo was shooting it at a long-range match at Eagle Ridge. I just received a GM barrel in .44 for my upcoming .44-77 build, and it was really nice inside and out. Do you hot blue or cold blue?
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

:mrgreen:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very nice! Can't wait to see it all put together. :D
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:42 pm Vall, that's a wonderful project. First time I saw a Hepburn "in the flesh," Dave Gullo was shooting it at a long-range match at Eagle Ridge. I just received a GM barrel in .44 for my upcoming .44-77 build, and it was really nice inside and out. Do you hot blue or cold blue?
I rust blue Bill. It's easier and takes less caustic fumes or a separate room to do it.

I am horrible at guesstimates, and my hour of blocking turned out to be 2 hours as the flats began to show machine tool marks as I hit them with emery paper. I was surprised as I couldn't see or feel any until I knocked the surface down, and then they just jumped out at me!
But the flats are done now, and I got two coats of rust blue applied, and carded off. Did the last one a little bit ago, and will get up early to take it out of the box, and card it off. Then a couple more tomorrow before calling it good. I don't want the like new deep black bluing that 5-6 coats gets, as it would look to mismatched to the old receiver and wood. I don't want to touch the rest, so hoping for a little less than like new condition.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Got the rust bluing done! Boiled, and polished out, and looks a little darker than I was planning to do. But better a little darker than too grayish. Forearm is bedded, but was still a little soft when I mounted it, so took it off after these pictures to let it cure.

Wish I could figure out whose windage globe the front sight is? Thought it was Lyman, but can't find a picture of a similar sight in my reference books?

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Lookin' good Vall!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Can't wait to see you post a target with the holes all scrunched together, Vall.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:58 am Can't wait to see you post a target with the holes all scrunched together, Vall.
I hope to get out next week, if weather permits here. I have a lot of levergun ammo using light bullets, but need to load up some with my heavier 370 gr. and 415 gr. bullets too. Then see what it shoots best.

Got out my big magnifier glass and discovered a tiny rollstamp on the front sight! It is a Lyman! No idea the model number, as Stroebel's book, or Rowe's book don't show it?