The Quigley shot

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

The Quigley shot

Post by Pitchy »

Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: The Quigley shot

Post by gamekeeper »

I wish I had his eyesight. Great shooting :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Excellent!! Quite a feat of Shooting. :D
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

As he mentioned in the video, just seeing the target at distance, and then finding it in your sights is probably the toughest part of long range shooting. Add to it the offhand shot, and keeping things steady at that distance, and his shot is extremely challenging!
If you could truly know the time between firing, and hearing or seeing the target strike, you could pretty easily estimate the distance based on speed of sound, and velocity of the bullet. Of course using Hollywood sound effects it's impossible to say how it was edited.
I liked his mention of the piece of newspaper that Quigley sent to the rancher stating it was 900 yds. and how anyone could even see that paper? In reality if the shooter hung the whole paper up, then he could indeed see it, and shoot it. And once shot simply cut out the portion with the group and send it to the rancher. So that part is actually believable, if it was done that way.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Heck ya, i once put a 4x4 piece of cardboard up at 500 yards and could only get a 12-14 inch group off a rest with my Pedersoli Quigley but then i can`t see very good through a peep. :roll:
I also thought and wish i could shoot like that guy. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I think that feller has spent a little too much time under that Nevada desert sun! :lol:
If he really did make that shot, my hat is off to him.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:16 pm I think that feller has spent a little too much time under that Nevada desert sun! :lol:
If he really did make that shot, my hat is off to him.
This^^^^

I remember the video of a "Famous Shooter" hitting an egg at 100 yards with a J-Frame .38 Special. I had doubts about that one, too.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Those kind of shots always raise doubts in people's minds unless they are standing there watching it happen. Those who don't doubt it are usually those who either saw something like it happen or those who have made similar shots themselves.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

You doubters better fact check it then Mundan could shoot aspirin out of the air with a 45, was i there no but i believe it.
I wasn`t there to see Christ resurrected either but i believe it happened.
Some people that don`t think it`s possible to make such a shot can`t stand that they can`t do it as myself but i`m not going to put that guy down if he can.
Until ya can show it was fake loosen up guys.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I wish I had that kind of time! I don't doubt the shot though, I've made some pretty long shots at woodchucks with rifles and pistols that most people wouldn't believe. I have a witness that saw me hit a woodchuck at 90 yds with a Browning Hi Power, but being honest she also saw me miss one at about 50' with a Mk VI Webley about a week later. All six times! The Force was strong with that one!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Lenn, no worries. I was just trying to point out that that feller is a character, not that he didn't make the shot.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks i`m not a expert about anything just thought it was a cool video if i`m wrong me bad.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

JimT wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:55 pm Those kind of shots always raise doubts in people's minds unless they are standing there watching it happen. Those who don't doubt it are usually those who either saw something like it happen or those who have made similar shots themselves.
8) Because everyone knows how absolutely, 100% true to life video is. Color me cynical until I've seen it myself, and I need not be able to do such things in order to be cynical. 8) 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Blaine wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:05 pm
JimT wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:55 pm Those kind of shots always raise doubts in people's minds unless they are standing there watching it happen. Those who don't doubt it are usually those who either saw something like it happen or those who have made similar shots themselves.
8) Because everyone knows how absolutely, 100% true to life video is. Color me cynical until I've seen it myself, and I need not be able to do such things in order to be cynical. 8) 8)
Well then get busy and find out if it`s real or not instead of babbling about it. :wink:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Pitchy wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:08 pm
Blaine wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:05 pm
Well then get busy and find out if it`s real or not instead of babbling about it. :wink:

Don't tell me what I can "babble" about, Oh, King Of Babblers. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Most people who read "Sixguns" think Elmer lied about long range shooting . I didn't doubt Him but after I first went out west and saw How wide open the country can be His writing all fell into place. hard to find anywhere around here to shoot a rifle 300 yards. In the 'early 70's shooting trap & skeet I witnessed Guys do things with a shotgun no one would be leave. talented people who have the time to practice can and do amazing things.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Yep figured as much, i`ve contributed as much as i can here.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Blaine: I am also skeptical.

As for his movie comments, the movie is just entrainment, nothing more.

As for hitting a 16x16" target off hand and without a spirit level to show any rifle cant at 782 yards, I just don't know. My eyes are correctable to 20/20 and from watching 600-1000 yard matches at the Sacramento CA shooting range and military shoots, that is a tall order. He did say that it was 3 hits out of 8 shots. So maybe he is talented or he just got lucky??

Wish he would have divulged more about his load besides 5774 powder, 500 grain bullet data from Accurate Powder Company and the Lyman Manual.

I will agree with him about the benefits of dry firing
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
onegoodshot
Levergunner

Post by onegoodshot »

Back while in pharmacy school in mid 90’s I would go to different bow rendezvous and throw for Stacy Groscup. He would shoot aspirins out of the air with his recurve bow. He passed the day after my son was born Sept 19, 2005.

He taught Frank Addington to shoot and he is still shooting.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Had to look up Stacy Groscup. Seems he was quite a guy.
http://archeryhalloffame.com/Groscup%20Stacy2.html
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Taking a shot like that and making it isn't impossible, but even a person whose a great shot needs a lot of luck, and likely numerous tries at it to hit it at that distance. I don't doubt he did it, but I wonder how many times his shots were all around the bucket before finally getting the hit on target? That would be a tough shot if he was doing it off cross sticks, or shooting prone, and offhand just makes it more of a lucky hit to pull off.
I'm sure it can be done, just question how much ammo goes downrange before it finally hits?
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

marlinman93 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:14 am I'm sure it can be done, just question how much ammo goes downrange before it finally hits?
I cannot speak for the shooter in the video. For myself, quite a bit of ammo went downrange. Years ago I set up a tripod at a bit over 400 yards and hung a 16" truck rim from it. It was my pistol target. Using my old 7 1/2" Ruger .45 Colt and shooting the 300 gr. #457191 bullet at a bit over 1100 fps, I got to where I could quite regularly hit it 3 out of 5. At times I made 4 out of 5. I don't recall hitting all 5 in a row. But I do recall shooting A LOT of ammo that never hit. Especially when beginning I sometimes shot 10 or 15 before making a hit. Close did not count. :D
After shooting that target for a couple years I sometimes stood up on my hind legs and shot it using just a two-hand hand hold. 2 hits out of 5 were pretty good. I had runs of 3 hits in a row.
One day I had a guy tell me he shot his deer at 500 yards with his rifle. I told him to bring it and we went out behind my house to where I shot the 400 yard rim. I told him, there's a rim at only 400 yards. Show me how you did it. I was feeling cocky and put the pressure on him. He shot 5 or 6 times and came close a couple but never connected. I fired standing up with a 2 hand hold and hit it first shot. I quit right then because I was pretty sure I could not do it again. I had the advantage of shooting that target several years before he saw it. But a lot of my lead went downrange without ever connecting.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

JimT wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:25 am
marlinman93 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:14 am I'm sure it can be done, just question how much ammo goes downrange before it finally hits?
I cannot speak for the shooter in the video. For myself, quite a bit of ammo went downrange.
I love playing with long range handgunning Jim! I often take my handguns to the range to shoot, and eventually end up trying to hit targets at around 400-450 yds. Usually takes 8-10 shots to remember how high to hold over, and then I can hit fairly well. Longest string I've gotten at 400 yds. was 8 hits consecutively, but most the time I'm lucky to get 5 in a row without the occasional miss.
I usually pick an object on the hillside behind the target to aim at, and see where my splash is. Then adjust up the side of the hill to correct for how far off I am. There's a tree and a limb on it I've become friendly with, and if I'm out very often I can sight in on that limb and be very close on my first shot or two. If somebody is with me I don't tell them about the tree limb until they're surprised at my hit. Then I let them know where to aim and they get on target also fairly well.
They trimmed trees yesterday at the gun club, and I'm hoping the big tree didn't get touched, or I'm going to have trouble again!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I have a notch on my front sight that is the 200 yard zero for the 300 gr. bullet.
IMG_0828.JPG

IMG_0829.JPG
For myself I "set" the target on the top of the front sight and drop the rear sight down to the mark for 200 yards. I learned by trial and error .. lots of errors .. where to drop down to for 300 .. 400 .. 500 yards. This eliminates holding over the target and hiding it "under" the gun. Shooting in country where the ground is dry and fairly bare, it is easy to spot your shots and adjust your hold. The further east I have traveled the harder it was for me to do. It's what you get used to in part I reckon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

there are people who have skills that are off the bell curve by a long ways. I like the Quigley Shot video, and the man doing the shooting, and suspend disbelief unless and until there is unimpeachable evidence to the contrary.

I can do this because he is not a medical doctor, or a clergyman, or politician, or lawyer, or investment councilor, or journalist, or professor, or dentist, or actor, or actress . . . . . , or salesman;

I can do this because there is a man of unimpeachable integrity to whom I have entrusted my eternal future, who said he would rise from the dead, and did.

Because I trust Him, I can suspend disbelief for a fellow who does not appear to fit any of the profiles of wickedness displayed all around us all day and all night long.

On the first proposition I cannot be wrong.

On the second one I am willing to be.

† † †
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Jim, that's how I do it, but without a notch. but i've never aimed at anything that far away. far enough that the beer can was much smaller object than the blade, but no idea what that distance is. thanks for that image.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Lenn, you can take it to the bank, I saw several of Munden's demonstrations. Dusting the aspirin with a .38 each time. I believe it was 1988 I saw him cut a playing card in half with a 45. Not set out on a stick, but flicking it into the air, drawing and cutting it on the fly.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!