1873 Rifle Idea

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

1873 Rifle Idea

Post by wvfarrier »

Keep in mind this is just boredom at work (Idle hands and all). Its my understanding that the toggle linkage of the 73 is the so called "weak point" in the rifle. If that is correct, could one (not me as I dont have the skills) make new linkage from titanium to make it more robust? I mean, the action on my 73 is incredible smooth, to the point of being "incredible". Even compared to my 92 series rifles the 73 just feels better. Anyway, thoughts?
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: 1873 Rifle Idea

Post by gamekeeper »

The toggle link is not as weak as some think, as long as it is in good condition and fitted correctly I would trust it.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I'm shooting a .44 Magnum chambered 73 and I'm not worried about it.

Now, what I would really like is an old style Henry or 66 rifle chambered in .480 Achilles
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

There may be many different forms of titanium. What little titanium I had experience with, was soft as butter to drill and brittle as glass to bend.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Thats interesting. I had a tomahawk made from titanium thats near indestructible. My son uses it as a breaching tool in his Army kit
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

You can buy a new set of links from Lee Shaver that are made of the best tool steel and heat treated to make them far superior to the originals. Very tight tolerances too that help tighten up head space on my SRC from 1896. By the way, they also fit my Miroku/Winchester that is about 2 years old just in case you wondered how close of a copy they are. And the barrel on both of them slugs .431. But I've whined about that before.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Thats good info!
leverman44
Levergunner

Post by leverman44 »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:00 pm I'm shooting a .44 Magnum chambered 73 and I'm not worried about it.

Now, what I would really like is an old style Henry or 66 rifle chambered in .480 Achilles
I recently bought a used 1873 in 44 Mag and trying different loads in it that right now are in the .44-40 range. If you load your own what does your rifle like?
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Titanium isn't much stronger than the better steels, but it is less stiff. Made to the same dimensions, a titanium part will deflect nearly twice as much as the steel part. It won't break, but it will spring.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I load a 200 grain RNFP that I cast of 20:1 for the four 73s that live here. Mostly propelled by ffg Goex but sometimes I load the 200 grain XTP over some H-110/WW296. Too much trouble to look up how much so I just won't tell you.
The rifles are 2 Uberti. One is the 24 inch octagon while the other is the 20 inch octagon. Then there are the 2 SRCs that are Winchester. 3 of them have a tang sight, either Marbles or Lyman. There is another Marbles lying around here somewhere that goes on the 4th one.
I size my bullets .429 so I can get them into the chambers of my old Colts but that leaves them pretty loose in the Winchesters. Good enough for ringing steel though.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The weakness in a toggle is that it doesn't have any sort of mechanical locking lug(s) to form a mechanical barrier to bolt thrust. It relies on the alignment of the links to keep the bolt closed. The bolt, pins & links are tool steel, the weak part is the frame. Frame stretch is the problem with repeated battering of hot rounds, At least that's my understanding.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!