Chairmen of the Politically Incorrect

Post all political posts here.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
The rules are simple...
- no advocation of violence to anyone
- no cursing

Violation of the rules will result in deletion of the topic.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Chairmen of the Politically Incorrect

Post by Sixgun »

Hey! I win 94! Best old Savage! Ha.....what do I win, a pimps Colt? Hey Fred..you think you can put some dazzles and spinners on it? Maybe a gold plated trigger like they have on Marlins .......or maybe a cylinder that sings ebonics when it spins? :D
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Man! Missed another good one.
Ain't fair! I'm calling the ACLU, the NAACP, OSHA, and anyone else I can think of. I'm a minority, and this is discrimination!
This wouldn't happen if I wasn't a "Maine Hick/American. :D

Maniac, you can say it. You’re among friends.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The most useless cartridge to me is the 30-30, guess what, I have more of those than anything else most in 94s. What kind are you interested in?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I too was hoping to win page 94 :( the dumbest thing I ever did was to sell my 30/30 :oops: until I moved to my current location I rented a bungalow in about 2500 acres with Fallow deer, Roe deer and Muntjac, now I rent a tiny converted stable in about 40 acres with just the occasional visit from Roe deer. I should have hung on to that 94 even if I never got to shoot it. The price of Winchesters and Marlins has gone up like crazy over here plus I have to go through all that police stuff to own one.. :evil:

I keep watching the Repair Shop incase someone brings in a rusty old gun, if they do a Buffalo coat would come in handy... :lol:

No dog to walk today now that the sun is shining, Shirley's daughter has taken the dog to do "Canicross" ??? It's like cross country running attached to a dog???
The one eyed bitch (the dog not her daughter) won a medal in a race the other weekend, bonkers if you ask me.... :roll:
P5180007.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ah darn I missed the Repair Shop last night, was watching The Hell Fighters.

Yes cold week ahead! First we gotta get through the pending ice storm due this morning!

So GK is shoplifting, big deal. What are they gonna do yell STOP , not like he needs to worry about catching a slug in the tuckus while making his escape :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

They might shout Stop twice !!!
Glad you got a new mattress Gunny, what you going to do with the old one ? Dang things are a pain to get rid off.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'm going to float it across the pond for you :lol:
Well actually I have slept on water for the past 30 years, the first mattress lasted a good 20 years. In the past 10 years or so I think I've replaced 5 mattresses! From high end to bottom of the barrel not 1 has lasted! Just replaced the last one in July, pin holed the other day. Im done with water even though I sleep like a rock on a waterbed I've had it with the junk thats on the market.
So im going to memory foam hybrid .

Yesterday I drained it, took it down the stairs and it'll go out in the weekly trash.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Yep the water ones are easier to get rid of, I was thinking about those old spring mattresses, they always seem twice as big when you want to throw them out..

Just got home from Shirley's, my house is cold and I find a letter from the police telling me I have to renew my gun licenses... :(
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Well Gunny...you are being wasteful.......and old water bed makes for a fine tarp.....all you people in Jersey have too much money......Hillbillies like me and Jay have to make do and repurpose near everything.

Now Master Fred says the 30-30 is useless......baring self defense where I would choose an M-4 in .223, I would choose a 30-30...you can make it anywhere between a .22., 32-20, or bigger stuff.....even shotshells.... .but if I really, really, really had to choose, it might and would be the 32-20.

I get a kick out of people who say they would choose their trusty 460 S&W or even a 45-70....more than 20 rounds you need an ammo bearer.

Now, you want to hear what's useless? The bottom 3/4 of California.....anyone with a brain and more than $100,000 is flying out of there.
T
Well, I have toilet paper to cook....brown it and throw it in the pot......

Rainy , miserable, 35 degrees, cabin fever is well set in......Covid is so bad around here that the roads are empty.....worst in the state.......my nieces husband who is about 38, healthy, dang near dies from it last year....and is there again, can't get out of bed...his hair is falling out as is another niece's hair......one niece (these nieces are in their thirties) says her skin is flaking off.

Projectile vomiting they all have..........yea, me and mom are snug in a rug.....but there's a price to pay....cabin fever.---006
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

On the 30-30 275 yds uphill with a 25 mph wind quartering across from the left, relatively easy shot with the Model 88 .243 with that 85 gr copper at 3225 but with the 30-30 not so much.

Leave Kali, what and miss all the fun here? You don’t hear me doing all the caterwauling and complaining.

62, bright sunshine like about 257 days a year, low humidity, wide open spaces. Golf 278 days last year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Fred,
I agree with you on one point....you are financially set for life...even if you closed the practice you would still be golfing, buying guns, drinking Coors........ITS THE SUNSHINE......so if you add being financially set and combine that with the sunshine your living large.......

Interesting stuff here..MY observations......read on DOCTOR OLD SAVAGE.....

Take me for example and leave out the Meniers .....cloudy days wth rain depress me....always has.....I feel tired and unenthusiastic......on sunny days I feel like a million dollars. (in yesteryears money)

My Meniers is near gone as my left ear is near dead.....when the nerve dies the agony of Meniers goes with it....but, you have to deal with 5-10 years of agony that no one will tell you..........the medical field does not tell you that so they will charge your insurance company $200,000 for tests and a drug that will kill the nerve when nature will do it on its own.....in the last year I noticed it..my ringing has gone down considerably, no major vertigo attacks......have not been dizzy for the better part of a year.

I put 2 and 2 together and said to myself, "mmmm, my buddy had the shots that kill the nerve and the vertigo stopped instantly then I was reading that Meniers patient's attacks will ease with time and not be so violent with no medical intervention.....mmmmmmmmm.....my hearing loss in my left ear continues to get worse due to the result of the nerve dying and your brain will compensate to make up the loss.....mmmmmm......

Over the summer, during depressed days I said ,"F it", I'm going to enjoy eating what I want and if I die, so he it." Started with a few hot dogs and relish....chipped beef....parts of a hoagie.....more than one coffee a day......and guess what? Nothing happened other than increased ringing in my ear. Last week mom made S on a shingle....(creamed chipped beef) and I near ate the whole pot...nothing......had I don't that two years ago I'd be in the hospital.....same with my favorite food, hot dogs and beans.

So this all boils down to SUNSHINE.....make sense?....I take my vitamin D and multi vitamins, eat well, very little greasy stuff and at 67 I can still work hard all day and climb trees......my doc told me I'm the healthiest senior citizen he has.....

Another "boiling down".....Sunshine makes the mood and living comfortable financially allows you to keep the mood up.....it would be stupid for you to leave Cali but as my life is here, I have no desire to leave.....I just wish it was more SUNNY.... :)

There! Tell your Meniers patients to save their money on the corrupt medical advice that is dolled out to us everyday and just let nature do its work....---006
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I like that first picture that's been colorized.....when we look at old pictures in black and white we tend to think that's how it was then......black and white,........watched some old filming from 1900 or so that was colorized.....very neato.

Good day to you Master Dr. Fred.....I have wood to bring in on a miserable day and some locust and oak to split as we have a nasty cold front coming in.....----00 14 and 3/4
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

The 30-30.....useless? :shock:

I don't know as we can be friends anymore. :D

IMO, this is largely due to area of operations. I could arguably get by with nothing BUT a 30-30 for the rest of my life.
The one I laugh at is the 45-70 craze that has seemed to enveloped the entire world. It is a fine cartridge, don't get me wrong, but 90% of what people do with it could be done as well or better with the 30-30. Matter of fact, that is exactly what happened to the 45-70 and a plethora of other great old cartridges.

Oh! And why did write on my post? :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You are right, local conditions. Back there the 30-30 is in its element. Out here you don’t know what range the shots will be. A lot of opinions I have read don’t seem to take those factors into account. Range estimation can be tricky in open ground with no frame of reference.

Meniere’s … some have had excellent resolution with what I have done with them. One I can think of was all over the map with what he did about it part of which interfered with what I was doing. Lost track of him with the corona onset here. Have only seen 6 of the corona cases in my practice. All had other comorbidity issues. All have recovered fine.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Huh, this new mattress seems cold, I slid into bed and my feet got cold.after a bit I could feel my body heat begin to warm up but move 8" and cold again. But nothing I can't handle :D . I did sleep quite well, as far as I know I didn't toss & turn!

Well if the 30-30 is a worthless cartridge then so is the 300 blk, 32-20, 38 s&w, heck even the 22lr! But they work, on animals and targets.

Well back to work today...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

30-30 useless to me. Not familiar with the 300 blk. The others are short range plinking or small animal cartridge. 30-30 - too powerful for some applications and not enough range for others yet I have more 30-30s than anything else. Eastern woods, plenty useful.

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

The .30/30 is a great cartridge for wide range of applications but as OS started it does have limitations in some areas. I loaded a few cat sneeze loads (thanks Nath) for mine as it was a bit more than I needed for Foxes but it's perfect for all UK dear species except the tiny Chinese Water deer which I've never seen anyway. A .32/20 would be more useful to me but bloody hard to find over here.

I have just been informed by the police that I have 16 weeks to renew both my shotgun and rifle licenses, I have several hoops to jump through including getting my doctor to fill out a form stating that I'm fit to own guns. I seriously considered not renewing my rifle license :shock: but I still have hoops to jump through to own a shotgun and money wise I would save little.
I only have a couple of .22s now and wouldn't really miss them as where I shoot at the moment there are no rabbits and everything else can be taken with a shotgun, so I will continue to be a thorn in the side of British society and put in for another center fire rifle that I don't at the moment have a use for... :lol:

Gunny, get yer self a hot water bottle, I have one for really cold nights.... :wink:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Put the thudy-thudy in a bolt gun, and there is the ability to wring more out of it. No its not a 1000yd cartridge but it does better than most think. Fred you are just limited by the platform most 30-30s are made in.

Yes GK be a great big thorn in the queens side!!

No more water in the bed!! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

It is limited by 1000 fps disadvantage. Not a 300 yd gun. Maybe only 700-800 fps. So what are you going to put it in and why, what load and ballistics?

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Gunny....a nice comforter works well ....I actually like getting into a cold bed......I sleep with long underwear anyway.....no sheets, except the bottom.....just one blanket .......a dog on one side and a cat on the other....they push themselves against you.....temperature in the bedroom is very important....never over about 64-66.

Look here, I've probably shot and experimented with more 30-30 than everyone on this board combined......I used to buy brass by the 1,000 ....and did that many times.....

Me and Jack Kort were partnered up at Ridgway having a 200-500 meter silhouette match....ahh.....maybe 20-25 guys.....we were allowed to use the bench but no rest of any kind. I shot a 24 out of 40 animals....with a 30-30 made in 1907.....cast bullets at 17-1800. This match was lever actions only....the guy who won it used a 300 Savage and jacketed bullets....I think he shot a 31x40.

Cold today......going down to 15 tonight.........----006
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

And this from the UK.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Not hard to hit things at known distances with shots we have taken many times. The variables complicate the issue: wind, terrain, lighting and the target always being soccer ball size.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

The average guy, shoots a box of ammo every 3 years aint gonna hit a deer at 300. Lack of practical experience. A guy that shoots a lot might hit a deer at 300 but a guy that shoots A LOT of everything can hit with regularity. Take my Savage 25-20, bolt action with a 4x. I always had it on the prairie dog shoots. Wanna talk rainbow trajectory?! The longest shot i made was 278 paces. It took me 3 to dope the wind but I killed a poodle at that range. How? Because I put pounds of powder down range learning/shooting at small targets at all kinds of ranges. Heck we kept our 22s sighted in at 200 and would shoot em to 300 at pasture poodles. More time ya spend behind the gun the more ya figure out. Sure it takes some time & ammo but the more ya do it the better ya get at distance estimates. Pick out a bush, take a guess how far then pace it off, repeat over and over.

The waterbed was nice with the heater set at 80°, now I gotta make my own heat.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

You got it Gunny, practice, practice and more practice, flat or rainbow the bullet has got to end up somewhere but if you know your shots are going to be long range take the gun you've got more confidence in.

OS, I haven't seen those hand free devices, where can I order one?....... :lol:

Never fancied sleeping on water and electricity, I knew of a guy who had an electric blanket but too much beer one night and a weak bladder he woke up dead.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Thats the problem with beer! he WOKE up dead??!!
The heater is/was a sealed unit under the liner with mattress over, very safe.

The latest polar Vortex is descending, both stoves burning to stave off the cold. Hey did anyone see that woman in the upper Midwest that cracked an egg and it froze solid before it could come out of the shell? She also froze a plate of spaghetti, fork in mid air. Kinda neat.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

"Woke up dead"? GK, you sure your not Polish?

Yea..cold.....had the dogs out and they were ready to come back in after 15 minutes.

While I'm not in this group, I've shot with the best this country has to offer...both in guns, knowledge, and ammo along with 1000 yd. ranges that the wind changes every 1 or 200 yards.....don't matter if you know the distances or not, just try to hit little targets consistently with 100+ year old rifles with cast bullets past 300 meters.

This Covid thing is bad .....and that's not watching the news.....it's from phone calls. It's a workday and hardly any cars on the road. My niece is an RN and the hospitals are overwhelmed. Ambulants up en ova da roads.
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Cracks me up......

People throwing these 400, 500, 1k yard numbers around.
Talking up the 6.5x20,000 Super Duper with 12-50x96 scope (with see through mounts). Expounding on things the CARTRIDGE is capable of. The owners, however, are not. And this is the case 90% of the time.
While they wax poetic on this marvel, they usually stuff talk old numbers like the 30-30. The ironic truth is, however, is these people can't shoot to the lowly 30-30's capability either.
The ammo for their new wonder is 75 bucks a box, so like Gunny said above, they shoot 4 rounds a year to keep in practice. An actual shooter with a 30-30 has a better change of ringing a 500 yard gong than the guy with the "Wonder rifle". Not enough for game at 500 yards....? Nope. But I'd question a "hunter" taking a shot like that on game with anything.
The beauty of the 30-30 is balance. It has enough of everything to be a success. It is cheap enough, and easy enough on the shooter to get good with. Handy enough to have with you all the time.
JMO. And why I consider it one of the greatest cartridges ever developed. The sales figures would back me up.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Yea...I hear Jayster......in my experience, all of that long range shooting has been at steel animals........I believe most guy who have the latest 6.5 gizmo are target shooters at steel......the average hunter who makes a box of ammo last 3 years is usually only consistent to 100 yds. max...........but some guys are more natural learners than other guys.....the office guy who gets an invite is almost always universally worthless where the blue collar guy learns fast....and listens to what he is told......

You want a laugh? On the movie "shooter" at near the end when the guys are in the DOJ's office and then Mark Walburg picks up,his rifle and thenmexican guy hands him a loaded round. Mark puts the cartridge in the chamber, closes the bolt, raises the rifle and pulls the trigger........he had one of the worst flinches I've ever seen. :D Here now, the best sniper in the world (supposedly) flinches.....a good shooter never flinches even when he is practicing.....he has muscle memory and pulling the trigger without flinching is part of that memory....he does not have to consciously remember tomhave a slow easy pull.

Butmthats hollywood
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

11.1 F here and still falling, always drops before the dawn.
The girls don't rush to come in even at these temps. Just wander around sniffing. I on the other hand want back in so I can feed them and head for the litter box! :lol:

You guys see the point I was making, thank you. I was lucky to spend time shooting out west. Elevation does quite a bit for trajectories, the thinner air . Sure take a guy from near sea level and drop him at 6000'+ and he is gonna be sucking wind trying to get enough oxygen but his rifle will shoot differently.

Well Six, yer right about covid it's getting worse. I went to cash my house sitting check yesterday and the bank had the door locked, NO ADMITTIANCE WITHOUT APPOINTMENT on the window, all the employees were inside wearing masks. It's just a matter of time before everyone gets it... How it will effect YOU is anyone's guess.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

It's 6 below here. Cold, but not crazy. Yesterday's wind dropped off so it isn't bad at all. Even at 6 below, you put a 10mph wind on it and it gets nippy.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

43f daytime 30f nighttime temp. damp and foggy yuk.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Its still blowing here. Temp holding around 10 or 12. Glad I'm not in a treestand!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

20 degrees ....but it's 2 o'clock......when I got up, around noon......wood stove cold......60 in the house......it's back up to 75....

Dogs went outside and it wasn't a minute before they flew back in.....Shih Tzu's must not be mighty dogs....

Well, it's time for some mature talk..........I went to the doctors and told him I don't use my T's anymore so I had him cut them off. I told him I wanted to take them home and someday have them bronzed.

Still in the sack.......same size....

Model A Uzi’s
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Humm, you must have had gangrene setting in, good thing you had them removed.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

If you were Japanese then they would square!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I always wondered if what they say about the Japanese girls is true........is it horizontal?
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Gunny,
Do you know how we can cure this? Our black female Shij Tzu is fixed....our white one, also a female is not......the white one is in heat and will not leave the black one alone. Separation in another room is not an option......do you ever have that problem with your dogs.....

We are having the white one fixed this spring......I can't deal with two weeks of this S....been going on for a week now...
Model A Uzi’s
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Show her your watermelons :lol:
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Naw there is no way other than separation besides the obvious " fixing" .
Every night after my dogs eat Claro mounts Winnie. I still holler at them but that doesn't stop it until I make a step towards them then Claro stops. Sometimes Winnie will raise her voice but that doesn't matter either. I keep telling her she doesn't have the right plumbing but she does it anyway.
Years ago I bought a big stuffed squeaky monkey for Dixie, every 6 months she would spend a week carrying that monkey around humping it. We referred to it as Humpy the Monkey :lol: .
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

OW, back to our discussion about cartridges. Here in the west ranges may be close to far as you think you should shoot, 300 yds for me mainly due to unpredictable wind drift over the terrain here. So the comparison of the 30-30 to some fictional and sometimes silly super 500 yd cartridge is farsical.

What is more on point is a comparison to the 270 Win, 30-06 or even my favorite the 6 mm Rem.

Now, where do you stand on that in our real world?

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

The .270 would be ok, but I don't like to dip below 30 caliber. For me, in that instance, the .308 or 30-06 would be optimal. I would probably give the nod to 06 due to more versatility. It makes better use of heavier bullets.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

No need to go that heavy, though they are great. 6 mm with 85 gr copper very effective out to 300 easy. These deer and antelope are not big.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yeah. I'm thinking of moose, bear, and 200 plus deer in places where you need to shoot through brush. The .270 is undoubtedly a better wind bucker than 06, but the 06 is still more versatile in regards to game.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

We don’t really have that game out here locally. You can go for bigger species.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Oh Lordy...."Humpy da Monkey"! :D Thanks Gunny.....At least I know it's "normal".......We have had that issue with male yorkies but that's understandable........I asked mom how come she never came into heat like that........I had to "take it"! :D ....and Harry, good thing I kept the Zucchini.

OK....long range shooting.....wadda want to know?..First, you have to have the proper ballistic coefficient in any caliber......you match the twist with the proper bullet and you can get any caliber to shoot well.......don't believe what they tell you about one caliber being better than others......up at Ridgeway Rifle Club, the only club in the nation that does this....the 1000 yard benchrest varmint silhouette, (its on their website) the top caliber is the 6mm Dasher. I watched "The Gunny" shoot 7 out of 10 bobcats at 950 yards and his 3 misses were in inches.

I told you guys before that I was too cheap or unenthusiastic to spend 5 g's on a rifle for our benchrest competition from 200-500 meters so I used a stock out of the box M-4 Colt with a 16" barrel in .223 with 80 gr. Sierra matchkings loaded one at a time and shot a 32...the guys were amazed.....it took 4 years before a 40x40 was accomplished and it was done with the 6.5 Creedmore.

There's other cartridges that will best the 6.5 creedmore but they are barrel burners. Time of flight and ballistic coefficient is what bucks the wind so if you push a 139 gr. Matchking 4,000 fps out of the 6.5 you will win the match....you will also burn out the throat after a couple of matches with load development included and with match barrels bringing $1,000 or more that gets expensive.

Near everything we have learned in the past 100 years can be forgotten as the newer bullets in the sub calibers will do it better. The military needs to punch through metal so they need mass which the sub caliber bullets will not do.

Keep in mind that match barrels see thousands of rounds and the last thing guys want to do is to replace the barrels frequently as that brings up a whole new work load.
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

None of this is long range. It is just staying within the vageries of wind drift. Unusual not to have wind out here. Just drop?, keep the high/low in trajectory +\- 5”.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Man! I spent a couple hours on YouTube tonight watching videos of old sleds. Collectors and restoration clubs, vintage races, and shows.
Freakin neat! Brought back a lot of memories from when I was a kid. We had Rupp sleds back in the day. They were very fast for the time. If I remember correctly, Rupp was the first sled to have aluminum chasis. They were very light.
Had a lot of fun back them. I have a buddy that collects old Ski-Doo's. He has some nice stuff.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

What are you talking about...+ or - .5? Huh? Human error or heat waves will amount to more than that...parallax even more...your shooting at something that don't exist....many times it's more important to watch the heat waves than it is the wind......this is all in precision shooting mind you......that's why a Nightforce scope is needed or a high dollar leupold. $12-1800 minimum....the Nightforce on my M-4 is a $2500 scope...twice what the rifle costs...then there's the $400 mounts.....accuracy don't come cheap when you want accuracy past where the common man shoots.....

Spin drift comes into play at long range...as most rifles have right hand twist the bullet will slowly drift to the right at long range.

Wind?...that's all I ever hear about is wind...there's a million variables besides wind. Sunny days vs cloudy days.....cold weather vs hot weather......cold,barrel vs. one shot vs five shots vs position of powder, elevation and humidity......

Your high performance rifle will NEVER shoot exactly the same on another day...hunting rifles will..to 100-200 yards....but at long range everything changes...

Guys will spend $1500 on a rifle then put a cheap $400 Nikon on it......"oh those benchrest guys waste money on scopes ...."ahhh Geeze, my $89.99 Bushnell shoots 1/2" groups at 100 yards".

While I'm in the middle of the pack and nowhere near the best......at my club I can shoot 2-3" groups at 500 meters.....as long as the wind is not blowing too bad and the temps are under 90.

Jayster.....back in the early seventies I had this old 60's Polaris...it sat real tall.....
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

There's 7 g's of .308
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

You see the snow falls for upstate NY? Feet of snow over the past few days. Grab you sleds and head for Syrcuse, I'll meet ya there! :lol:

One thing you are all overlooking, at what range are you talking about for shooting game? Jay you are pretty much limited for distance by trees, Fred is talking about blackmail/ mule deer. I have shot a couple elk, closest was about 175 yds, my 338 Federal was plenty, the other elk I shot was about 225 or so and my 338 WM was more than sufficient. Both dropped. Now the average east coast deer hunter takes game at 100 or less, guys that live at elevation shoot archery to 100 yards and kill deer, elk, antelope. It's nothing to shoot antelope at 500 with a 'flat rifle' again everything is relative. Would I shoot an antelope at 300 from a 94? No but I knew someone that used her 300 savage for antelope and she averaged 1 shot 1 kill to 300 yards. Oh and a 4x scope.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!