45-70 lever gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ahiskydiver8
Levergunner

45-70 lever gun

Post by Ahiskydiver8 »

I have been searching through prior discussion posts to find as much info on 45-70 lever guns
I am most interested in a "guide gun" type rifle to allow me to hunt big game but also bear defense all in one
I really like the pedersoli and Henry but I came across some forums mentioning some issue's with Pedersoli

Can anyone help guide me if Henry or marlin or chiappa or pedersoli is the better company and 45-70 rifle maker
specifically looking at:

henry all weather
marlin 1895 sbl
Chiappa 1886 take down
Pedersoli boar buster

Here is the threat where people mentioned some concerns with pedesoli (I was leaning towards this brand over Henry because I am looking for quality...)
https://www.shootersforum.com/threads/m ... ovt.94154/

Thank you
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 45-70 lever gun

Post by OldWin »

Just my opinion, and it's worth exactly what you paid......
I have no experience with the Italian copies of the 45-70 class rifles, but I would be dubious. Mostly because they have much less experience manufacturing these models when compared to 92s and 73s.
The Henry I also know little about. Their reputation seems to be pretty good, but the Henry's I've handled all seem heavy for their size and chamberings. I assume this will be a rifle you intend to pack in the back country if its for hunting and bear defense?
This obviously leaves the Marlin. IMO this gives you a couple options. Either find an earlier JM example, a late production Remington attempt, or hold out a while for Ruger. Either way, this is a proven rifle design. Most importantly, and often overlooked, it has aftermarket support in the way of accessories and sighting options. This is important IMO, because rarely is a rifle "perfect" for everyone.
Best of luck to you.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Of the 4 you have listed...buy a Marlin. New or used.

Or find a used Browning SRC.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I side with Vance on this. Very sound advice.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

The first Marlin made by Ruger is out now and is a 45/70 model. I agree with Vance above..
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

An Older Marlin is the way to go. I think the Marlin Guide Gun series is the most underrated hunting rifle of all times. Short, extremely accurate and reliable, and plenty of power. Sling swivels came installed from the factory on mine.

I think you should wait for the new Ruger version of the Marlin to get to the shelves. It promises to be every bit the fine rifle that Marlin used to make.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I have a 22" Marlin I bought in '09 and a Pedersoli 86/71 I picked up around 2012. My 86/71 has been problem free . it has a 4 1/2# trigger pull a totally free floating firing pin . the 86/71 is a heavy gun to tote around at least for this old geezer. but it is very comfortable to shoot. the Marlin has a "handy" feel to it ,not light or heavy. I have Williams Fool Proof receiver sights on both. If I was in the market today I'd be saving My money and get one of the new Rugers. Good Luck.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I second the browning 1886 rifle or carbine best replica of the 86 made.I have the rifle version and though it is a bit heavy carrying in the field I prefer the longer sight radius and the fact the weight gives you a steadier hold when shooting
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

My favorite rifle is my 1895 Marlin cowboy 45-70, it`s light and dependable if ya can find one used. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I've owned 1886's ... originals ... beautiful rifles but pretty heavy. If I were starting out today I would go with the new Marlin.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I am very confident in Marlins, especially their 'long action' ones like their 30-30 and 45-70 ones. I happen to like the 444 Marlin a bit better, but the short, handy Marlin 'Guide Guns' are hard to beat.

I have a Big Horn Armory 89 in 500 S&W and it is 'better' for sure, but the price could have gotten me three Marlin Guide Guns.

I'd not have any reservations about the Henry leverguns either, in terms of quality. They do seem a bit 'heavy' compared to competing models from other manufacturers, but seem reliable.

I happen to like the 'tube loading' option because it is fast to UN-load them without having to cycle cartridges through the action. It does add weight though.

The other compact-for-power option would be a Rossi in 454 Casull. I have a couple, like them, and they have been reliable, but I've not shot them enough to say whether I'd depend on them in a wilderness rough environment, and against bears. Marlins have fewer, coarser, parts, versus the Winchester 92's and clones, and at least 'on-paper' that concerns me, although the design survived the 'wild west' rather well and served hundreds of thousands of users. Of course if you've strolled through this forum you'll see a 'lively' debate on pros and cons of Rossi rifles.... :D :D

I doubt you'll be disappointed with a Marlin Guide Gun. Even the 'Remlin' ones are likely serviceable with just cosmetic issues.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I did a weight comparison on three rifles with eight rounds of ammo in them.

Marlin Cowboy--7 3/4 lbs.
Browning 86 SRC --8 1/4
Browning 86 rifle--10 1/4
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Ahiskydiver8
Levergunner

Post by Ahiskydiver8 »

Wow there is a lot of great advice here.
I am definitely going to hold off on the Italian.
In my research I saw a lot of people recommended pedersoli but I wonder if that is a blanket statement and not a great recommendation for a lever gun since this might be a little out of their element.

I am also confused on taylors and company. Do they import guns or make replicas? Their site is weird.

I almost completely ruled out Marlin due to the"remlin" but it looks like I need to look at old or new
Ahiskydiver8
Levergunner

Post by Ahiskydiver8 »

https://www.shootersforum.com/threads/m ... ovt.94154/

This is where I started to get concerned with pedersoli

A different forum for chiappa and Marlin.

Im going to check into the new and old Marlin and and look at those other rifles like the Browning, Rossi, and Henry.

Now to find ammo and a dealer that can obtain these guns...
Ahiskydiver8
Levergunner

Post by Ahiskydiver8 »

https://www.rifleshootermag.com/editori ... fle/454876

Looks like they are hitting the shelves.
Last edited by Ahiskydiver8 on Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Just to be clear i`m talking about a JM made older Marlin not the new stuff, guess if your young the weight doen`t matter, though when i was young i carried a Brown 86 a few miles and wish i` d had a trailer to put it on. :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Ahiskydiver8
Levergunner

Post by Ahiskydiver8 »

Pitchy wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:48 pm Just to be clear i`m talking about a JM made older Marlin not the new stuff, guess if your young the weight doen`t matter, though when i was young i carried a Brown 86 a few miles and wish i` d had a trailer to put it on. :lol:

Ha. That's funny. I see a jm Marlin for sale. So all jm stamped Marlins are the "older" marlin that is recommended?
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Yep made with pride. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

guide gun: marlin stainless. correct finish for an all weather rifle. paint it if you don't like the looks. i have fixed aperture sight on mine. learn the trajectory of your one hunting load and you will find you can shoot it just like a 22.

winchester antiques and japanese copies are of course available as second and third add-ons for experimenting. that way you never mess up the one you're hunting with.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

The JM Marlins are the ones produced by the original Marlin company.
When Remington bought Marlin, they arrogantly moved all production to a new facility without giving any credence to the generational knowledge that the original company's employees had. I knew the gentleman who calibrated their surface plates, so, had some insight to the situation.
The Remington produced guns were horrific for several years. In the last few they had gotten better, but still not to the old guns standard.

I actually prefer the Winchester action (1886), but as I stated, don't trust the copies, with the exception of the Browning guns. This being said, for a rifle that is a tool/wilderness defensive arm, the Marlin gives you more sighting and optics options.
The biggest downside is going to be cost, not just the rifle, but the feeding of it. While the 45-70 is a great cartridge, it has become kind of a fad in recent years. Even when it is not really needed. If you don't handload, I would give this serious consideration.
My son has lived in Kodiak AK. for years. No greater bear or numbers of encounters exist. Granted, they aren't always the most aggressive, but......
He carries a 94 carbine in 30-30. It is lighter, faster, and much cheaper to become proficient with. It also shoots flatter for deer and light loadings work well for the small game that makes up most of his actual shooting. It packs more punch than it's given credit for when loaded appropriately.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Ahiskydiver8 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:38 pm https://www.shootersforum.com/threads/m ... ovt.94154/

This is where I started to get concerned with pedersoli

A different forum for chiappa and Marlin.

Im going to check into the new and old Marlin and and look at those other rifles like the Browning, Rossi, and Henry.

Now to find ammo and a dealer that can obtain these guns...
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=82887
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Years ago (about 2001 or so) I got a good buy on a Marlin 45/70 Guide Gun. I hunted with it a few years, definitely shorter than I was used to - but it was pretty accurate. Decided I didn't like the ports (too darn loud and powder residue all over, me included). I talked to Marlin technical shop and sent it in for them to rebarrel with a standard 22" barrel, which I actually like and prefer.
Years ago I went halves with a shooting friend on 1,000 Rem 405 gr jacketed SP bullets. My rifle shoots my reloads into 3/4" at 100 yds using a Williams aperture rear sight.
I've been planning on working up a new hunting load with something around a 300-350 gr bullet.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Well, I will say that a Pre-64 Winchester model 94, 30/30 is about my favorite knock around always gun, and IMHO has no peer, when it comes to carrying and fast handling and fits in a saddle scabbord about as good as anything, but I must admit, I would feel a little under gunned against one of the bigger bears but then again, when the chips fell, I would rather have it then about any handgun, no matter what the caliber.

Regarding the 45/70, I have had a couple of the older JM's and they were good. I currently own a late year Marlin Guide Style gun, made when Remington owned them. It's one of the later production models and after I replaced the sights with the XS Scout rail, and XS receiver sight and front sight, It's IMHO about the equal of the older JM's. I would say that the action was rougher to start with, but has smoothed up nicely with use, and it quite good now, and has a good trigger. It's a 1" gun at 100 yards, which is totally better accuracy then I expected to get from it. If I had gotten 2 to 3 inches with it, I would have been happy, but was pleasantly surprised.

I have a Browning 86 Carbine with William receiver sight on it, and it's a good gun, and I have taken numerous hogs with it.

I owned a 444 Marlin, older JM gun and it was good gun, but did not like the heavier bullets and I mostly used the factory 240gr Remington softpoints in it.

Just some of my experiences with those models. It will be interesting to see how the new Ruger Marlins turn out.
NRA Life Member, Patron
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I bought a Marlin XLR in '07. I didn't like the 24" barrel for hunting in timber. I sent it east to a gun shop. I had them cut the barrel to 18", recrown it, install a Wild West lever and extend the mag tube. I had installed a ghost ring XS sight also. Absolutely love it. A year later, Marlin introduced the SBL. Exact copy including aftermarket parts! I suspect the east coast gun shop showed someone at Marlin their work.
Mine is still on their website.
Very accurate. I put on a extended eye relief leupold on it. 3 elk down with it so far.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I have been lucky and have three JM Marlins, an older Marlin 1895 with Ballard rifling, a guide gun my nephew picked out for me on a trade, and a Wild West Co-Pilot I bought used from a member here. I hunt with the guide gun and Co-Pilot both shoot better than I having killed everything I have shot at Moose, Buffalo, Deer, and others. Both hunting rifles I trust to perform on request to provide and protect as needed. The Henry I have is very accurate and reliable but heavier than the others.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I really like the 45-70 and have a Browning 86 SRC that has had it's barrel and magazine shortened by 3 inches. Makes it the exact same length as a 94 carbine. Very handy length. It has a Lyman receiver sight and a Redfield Sourdough front along with detachable sling swivels. Just about perfect. Totally reliable. I've never had an issue with the lead as I like and load a 325 grain bullet.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
jmiller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jmiller »

I’m one of the guys in the referenced thread. I had two of the Pedersoli’s and they were JUNK! I got all of my money back on both of them and bought a Winchester/Miroku and that gun is flawless…..and very, very accurate. I ended up taking it to Turnbull (only about an hour from where I live) and got the works done to it. It will shoot five shots into 1.3-1.7” at a measured 114 yards (deck at my camp to the backstop). I’d take a Marlin also. My friend has one and it’s never given him any trouble and it shoots pretty good also. I’ve watched him shoot a few deer with it and it cycles and shoots nicely. It was his grandfathers gun and he got it several years ago. Not a good looking as the Win/Miroku, but still pretty nice.
Ahiskydiver8
Levergunner

Post by Ahiskydiver8 »

jmiller wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:32 am I’m one of the guys in the referenced thread. I had two of the Pedersoli’s and they were JUNK! I got all of my money back on both of them and bought a Winchester/Miroku and that gun is flawless…..and very, very accurate. I ended up taking it to Turnbull (only about an hour from where I live) and got the works done to it. It will shoot five shots into 1.3-1.7” at a measured 114 yards (deck at my camp to the backstop). I’d take a Marlin also. My friend has one and it’s never given him any trouble and it shoots pretty good also. I’ve watched him shoot a few deer with it and it cycles and shoots nicely. It was his grandfathers gun and he got it several years ago. Not a good looking as the Win/Miroku, but still pretty nice.
I love Japanese quality.
I didn't even know about those guns.
Now I need to research even more.

I was all set on a newest or old JM Marlins
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I also have one of the 1886 Browning (Miroku) rifles, a first year of production. Sweet, smooth and oh, so handles the recoil of just about any load I wish to use. I'll put up with packing a little more weight if it helps absorb the recoil. The Marlin (JM), early 1895 models were a larger frame and IMO, stronger than the "336" framed guns the new 1895 is made off of.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Hickok45 has good reviews on lots of guns, here`s one on the Cowboy JM.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD2Sv5iUP_A
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

I had an 1886 Extra light Miroku rifle that was excellent, but then I stumbled into an 1886 Miroku with the octagon barrel and curved butt stock so I sold the extra light. Both were/are awesome rifles. I had a Marlin 45-70 in the past, but it never really thrilled me like the 86s.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Pitchy,
Thanks for the weight comparison:
Browning 86 SRC --8 1/4

I did the same thing before buying my Miroku/Winchester 1886 TD .45-90 with 26 inch full octagon barrel which weighed 9.5 pounds.

I have lighter big bore rifles, but this one has done a great job in Texas and Africa with all loads from light 300 grain Nosler PP to 450 grain North Fork and Punch mono solids at 2150 fps.
It is a plain hunting rifle with all the features that I feel are needed. No fancy engraving or precious metal decorations, but the guts to last multiple lifetimes.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Paladin wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:06 pm I have been lucky and have three JM Marlins, an older Marlin 1895 with Ballard rifling, a guide gun my nephew picked out for me on a trade, and a Wild West Co-Pilot I bought used from a member here. I hunt with the guide gun and Co-Pilot both shoot better than I having killed everything I have shot at Moose, Buffalo, Deer, and others. Both hunting rifles I trust to perform on request to provide and protect as needed. The Henry I have is very accurate and reliable but heavier than the others.
I have been jonesying for a Co-Pilot for many years. I just love the concept. The one you show there looks like it is perfectly set up.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have shot maybe half a dozen for testing loads and comparison. My choice is the 22” standard 1895 Marlin. Both types of rifling have been accurate with cast bullets in the ones I have had.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Scott,
Please define "jonesying" for me.

Thanks
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

crs wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:25 am Scott,

Thanks
:lol:
Don't lie to us!
I know you were around during the hippie days.

They were usually jones-ing for some grass.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

crs wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:42 am Pitchy,
Thanks for the weight comparison:
Browning 86 SRC --8 1/4

I did the same thing before buying my Miroku/Winchester 1886 TD .45-90 with 26 inch full octagon barrel which weighed 9.5 pounds.

I have lighter big bore rifles, but this one has done a great job in Texas and Africa with all loads from light 300 grain Nosler PP to 450 grain North Fork and Punch mono solids at 2150 fps.
It is a plain hunting rifle with all the features that I feel are needed. No fancy engraving or precious metal decorations, but the guts to last multiple lifetimes.
Your welcome, don`t take me wrong i love both my 86 rifle and SRC and my replica 76 and they`er all heavy.
I never liked the big wood on Marlins and the Cowboy doesn`t have that which i like plus it`s lighter with the tapered barrel. .
I think your Handle should be Teddy R with all the big game hunting you`ve done. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

I know you were around during the hippie days.

Vance,
those were my college days and yes, there were some hippies on the UT campus, but not in my social circles (math , physics, and TR3). Plus, I had a job at the TX DPS when in school in Austin and would have had to report any such folk. Actually, one such fellow did live in an apartment near my apt. The last time that I saw him, he was too stoned to walk straight and I had to talk him out of him trying to drive his car. Not the behavior example to copy.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jkbrea and TraderVic..... sounds like you guys should have just traded guns... :lol:

Grizz said "...guide gun: marlin stainless. correct finish for an all weather rifle. paint it if you don't like the looks. i have fixed aperture sight on mine. learn the trajectory of your one hunting load and you will find you can shoot it just like a 22..."

Yep. The 'one man, one gun, theory'... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

Most of the later made (post 2015) Remlins (made in the Ilion, NY Remington factory) are pretty good rifles for fit, finish and function out of the box but to no ones surprise you are on your own if you get a defective one. The Remington/Marlin warranty is as dead as Remingtons credit rating. I have a Remlin 336SS and a 1895GS both made in 2017 that would be hard to beat for fit, finish, workmanship and accuracy right out of the box.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I would not hesitate to get an older 1895GS.....I had one and traded it off when my shoulder turned to glass.... :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Blaine wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:25 pm I would not hesitate to get an older 1895GS.....I had one and traded it off when my shoulder turned to glass.... :idea:
a reminder about the button loads with minimal powder. i think there is a zero recoil load that lets us plink, make a little noise, but i haven't tried it. did you ever experiment with it?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:56 am
Blaine wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:25 pm I would not hesitate to get an older 1895GS.....I had one and traded it off when my shoulder turned to glass.... :idea:
a reminder about the button loads with minimal powder. i think there is a zero recoil load that lets us plink, make a little noise, but i haven't tried it. did you ever experiment with it?
No.... .22s fill the bill for informal bang-bang.....I don't hunt anymore, but the Ruger Scout in .308 would probably be the heaviest I'd go with if I did decide to sit on a stump sometime.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

AJMD429 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:25 pm .
jkbrea and TraderVic..... sounds like you guys should have just traded guns... :lol:

Grizz said "...guide gun: marlin stainless. correct finish for an all weather rifle. paint it if you don't like the looks. i have fixed aperture sight on mine. learn the trajectory of your one hunting load and you will find you can shoot it just like a 22..."

Yep. The 'one man, one gun, theory'... 8)
My post wasn't a complaint. I love my rifle! I was offered $2000 cash for it last month and declined. It's my favorite hunting rifle and will go to one of my sons someday.
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

Thanks
It probably means scrimping & saving up the money ... those WWG Co-Pilots are around $3500 a pop.
Kinda hoping (not likely but I can dream) Ruger will design and market Marlin 336, 1894, 1895 takedown models.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

I have a marlin 336 in .30.30, two henry, ones in .22lr and one in .22 magnum and a winchester 44-40 all good guns, but the marlin was a bit stiff out of the box, I'm sure it will smooth out over time. . the others were smooth as butter. but in long run, I would say marln, as too ease of cleaning and fewer parts. some of the new henry's come with both a loading gate and tube loader. the tube loader makes it easier to remove ammo after a shoot without cycling them out.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

pricedo wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:56 pm

Thanks
It probably means scrimping & saving up the money ... those WWG Co-Pilots are around $3500 a pop.
Kinda hoping (not likely but I can dream) Ruger will design and market Marlin 336, 1894, 1895 takedown models.
:lol:
Most definitely not what it means.

An intense craving
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

Grizz wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:56 am
The first JM Marlin Guide Guns produced I believe had ported barrels which would reduce the felt recoil but they're as scarce as chickens teeth.
I don't think it would be that expensive to get a contemporary Guide Gun ported.
The light loads designed for legacy 45-70 rifles shouldn't kick that much and are plenty for deer.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Grizz wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:15 pm guide gun: marlin stainless. correct finish for an all weather rifle. paint it if you don't like the looks. i have fixed aperture sight on mine. learn the trajectory of your one hunting load and you will find you can shoot it just like a 22.
This is probably the most sage advice available.
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

If you're in a log cabin way back in the sticks with the arrival of a bush plane days or weeks away you can't beat the "Swiss army knife serviceability" of Marlin leverguns. They can be pulled apart and serviced with a minimum of tools in an emergency situation. My grandmother could pull apart a Marlin Guide Gun (1895G or GS) and reassemble it without her glasses. I certainly wouldn't say that about a gun with a Winchester 1886, 1892, 1894 or 1895 action. John Marlin dumbed the Marlin actions down so non-rocket scientists like me can work on them with pocket tools. That's important in a survival or emergency situation.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER