Most accurate levergun at 200 yards...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Most accurate levergun at 200 yards...

Post by AJMD429 »

My son has a Weatherby bolt action 308 Win that he'd returning to the factory because it isn't even capable of an eight inch group at 200 yards, and that got me thinking.... (dangerous I know)....

What levergun would I count on for a 300 yard shot that had to be precise and repeatable...???

Probably my Marlin XLR in 35 Remington, but it's not as 'flat shooting' as a 308, so for practical hunting that would make a difference vs known-range shooting.

What levergun would you guys use if you needed 308-level power and wanted to hit a temmis-ball sized target at 200 yards...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Most accurate levergun at 200 yards...

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

That's obvious Doc...a .308 chambered Savage or a BLR....----006
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Winchester 88
Savage 95
Browning BLR
Marlin 308 Express
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Easy, my BLR 81 in .243 Only
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I would say that my .358 Winchester in my 2009 Shot Show special BLR could easily do the job! You can use "match grade" 308 Winchester components and fire form them. In the old days, I would have told you a powder charge of Varget with a BR-2 primer would have been "the Bomb" but in today's world, we have to work with what we have. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Henry Long Ranger 6.5 creedmore, ought to work just fine.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

My AR10T, as I don't have a lever in big calibers, it's 308 and has a safety LEVER- that qualifies right? :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

BLR 358
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Although hard to find....the 338 Marlin Express is very flat shooting
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Honestly, other than the power level, the old .30-30 is quite capable of that kind of accuracy.
I DID NOT shoot this target ... but it shows the ability .. EDIT: fired with a Marlin 336 built and tuned by Mic McPherson.
130 Speer w LVR.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Very true Jim!

Mine, at this time, would be a 94 from 1899 that was returned to the factory sometime in the 30's. It had a model 64 barrel and magazine in 32WS, the action was slicked up, and had a 56 Lyman installed.
This rifle is unbelievably accurate, and more than capable of 200 yard effectiveness.

I also owned a first year 1886 at one time that had been re-bored in some long ago decade to 45-70. It was crazy accurate. Sadly, it got away in a weak moment.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I had a '70s vintage Marlin 336 in .35 Remington that was very consistent over 100-150 yds. I don't remember shooting it any farther than that. It got caught up in the "Purge" and had been chasing one of the XLRs until they got stupid expensive.
with a little practice and some fine tuning of some hand loads I know I could do that with a couple of my '95s ( .35 WCF and 7.62x54r). I have shot steel that far out with my '86 in .33WCF. Not a difficult shot for that rifle.

I am hoping that Ruger gets around to the XLR models. This time I'll get one of each!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Of the Levers I have the .338 Express would fill the bill . I've never shot them past 100yd. when it first came out on of the members on Marlin owners scored several 300 yard kills on whitetails. Remlin dropped the ball on it . they had their hands full trying to make 30-30's. too bad.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Probably my Shiloh Sharps. The big limitation at 200 is the sighting equipment.

My Winchester 94 .30-30 Trapper is a wonderfully accurate rifle with relatively crude sights. Crude because the front sight blade covers quite a bit of territory and the rear sight is a fixed carbine style ladder sight that I dehorned so it would not tear up my saddle scabbard.

The sights are intentionally crude I suppose. I wanted them to be above all things rugged and that they would not shift from saddle or patrol car use.

For what they are designed for, they are plenty accurate. Across the street or a couple of car lengths I can probably hit a golf ball on demand. At 100 yards with a rest, I can reliably stay in a group the size of my fist. At 200, I don't really know how well it would shoot, never shot it that far.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I've had a 200 yard range on private property available since 2005 and before that, I shot at a club where one of the informal matches was 200 meter bowling pins. I've shot lever actions on all of them. A couple or 94s proved pretty accurate. When my eyes were still good, groups like this weren't uncommon.

This pre-safety 94 Winchester Angle Eject Ranger 30-30. It had been clustering shots right along, so one day when I was seeing real well I shot it at 210 yards, which happened to be the distance from my back yard to a dirt pile I'd pushed up. I never could quite duplicate it, but got pretty close a time or two.

Rossi 92s- Usually the second or third notch on the sight elevator, would get me on the diamond plate at 200 yards. I put finer sights on those guns and with general use 45 Colt or 357 reloads, they were good for three shots in 5-8 inches, depending on what kind of day I was having. My eyes aren't as sharp as 20 years ago and my right shoulder has been rebuilt, which cost me some steadiness. In short, it's getting harder to blame thrown shots on a particular gun and load.

I have adapted and started painting bigger dots on the steel than I used to. That helps some and while zeroing my 35 Marlin three shot 200 yard groups were shaping up OK. I corrected the elevation later and I have no excuse for missing with it out to that distance.

Well, no excuse except the standard ones- and I can think up more if I need them ;)
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

wvfarrier wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:28 am Although hard to find....the 338 Marlin Express is very flat shooting
I’d go with the 308 Marlin Express first and the 338 ME would be my second choice .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Does my B-78 in 30-06 count? Single shot but it has a lever and with only a 2.5X scope it is accurate to the point of being almost unbelievable. These old Hi-Walls had barrels with a 1 in 14 twist so only 165 grain bullets or lighter but boy will it shoot the Sierra 165 grain boat tail spitzer. I haven't shot it much in the last 30 years but when my eyes were still good it was very good and I took many a whitetail with it. Dime size groups were normal at 100 and I shot it on paper out to 350 and it was still holding within 3 inches.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
KeithNyst
Levergunner 1.0

Post by KeithNyst »

A Savaged 99R in .308 win would be pretty competive.
Sevastopol
Levergunner

Post by Sevastopol »

Any of the clip magazine fed levers in the same caliber. Mine is a Belgium BLR that'll do that in another's hands, but not mine.
Bryan Austin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bryan Austin »

I do believe all these different replies prove there is not one.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

My most accurate lever actions are BLR in 308, Savage 99 in 308, and a Browning 1895 in 30-06. I bought the Savage 99 to send tp JES to change to a 358 Win but after shooting, it was so accurate I couldn't do it. When my eyes were good I would shoot gallon jugs with the iron sights at 200 yards all day long. My buddies struggled to hit them with their scoped guns. The 180 gr hornadys were spot on for that gun.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

AJMD429 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:16 pmWhat levergun would you guys use if you needed 308-level power and wanted to hit a temmis-ball sized target at 200 yards...?
Since I don't have a .308 -level levergun, I'd use my Browning 1886 in 45-70! Especially since I understand "temmis-ball" sized targets are the size of basketballs! :P :P :P But, even if they're only the size of tennis balls and are only 200 yards, I'd choose the Winchester mdl 94 in .30-30. Besides, if it's only the size of a tennis ball, how dangerous can it be!!!??
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

I would go with my Savage 99F in 308 Win since I can load it with match bullets and has mounts for scope. My newly acquired Winchester 94 in 307 would fit the bill also but is limited with bullet selection and no scope mount.

Mainehunter
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

Browning BLR '81 takedown in 308 Win.
It'll give me 1.5-2" @ 200yds from a bench rest if I'm up to it.
The rifle is always up to it but I have off days.
To be fair the BLR is not a lever action in the same sense as a Win 94 or Marlin 1895.
The BLR is a lever actuated bolt action.
The BLRs accuracy Achilles heel is its trigger.
The BLR trigger is NOT a target trigger ... it's a hunting trigger.
I could probably squeeze another 1/2 MOA accuracy out of the gun if I decided to spring for a Neil Jones (PA gunsmith of excellent repute) trigger tune up.
The gun is doing it's job of filling the freezer quite admirably and I'm NOT a tiny group zealot.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

of my rifles,i think the BLR 30/06 and the sako finnwolf 308 would do quite well. i suspect my model 94 in 7x30 waters would also serve.
cable
45NUT
Levergunner

Post by 45NUT »

My Savage 99 in 300 Savage or .243 Win will do it, as will my Pre-64 32 WS, the 94 30-30 my Dad bought me or my 94 in 38-55.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Have a '94 .307 BB that can really stretch the accuracy to 300 yards when using FTX bullets... planned on trying that with a .356 '94 BB, just have not got around to it.

But... actually know someone that had a custom barrel made for his BLR, it is now chambered for 6.5 X 55. Do not know if it is the Badger barrel, or the round, or him, but he was hitting the plate consistently at 300 yards and won the comp going out to 400 yards against a bunch of bolt guns.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

1895 in .30-06 should do the trick.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Old Time Hunter wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:18 pm Have a '94 .307 BB that can really stretch the accuracy to 300 yards when using FTX bullets... planned on trying that with a .356 '94 BB, just have not got around to it.

But... actually know someone that had a custom barrel made for his BLR, it is now chambered for 6.5 X 55. Do not know if it is the Badger barrel, or the round, or him, but he was hitting the plate consistently at 300 yards and won the comp going out to 400 yards against a bunch of bolt guns.
very true; i have 307 and 356 that probably would do,about as well as my others. two of my favorites
cable
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Curious about the custom BLR barrel. I'm betting it was on the earlier steel receiver design. The newer, aluminum receiver design, requires a bolt locking lug machined into the steel barrel. Getting the tolerances right for that is a real, serious head ache! You can actually get a really good trigger on a floating BLR trigger, but it takes a lot of work and experience. Mine is probably the best trigger I have. But its a pain and it does cost money. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Here is what it will do if you don’t mess with it and worry about it. And Tutt, send me a picture when you beat this :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

So many guess' and opinions. I have a Browning 1895 30-06 that will do 2 1/4" 5 shot groups at 200 with it's Marbles tang sight. Also have scoped steel framed BLRs in 257 and 308 that hold 1 1/2" or less, at 200yds, if allowed to cool after the third shot. These three have been my primary big game rifles for many years. Tube magazine levers can be accurate but become inconsistent past about 150 yards. I currently have seven tube fed levers with numerous others in the past. Simply my experience.
Last edited by blackhawk44 on Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Basing the response on the caveat of ".308 level power" eliminates a number of guns capable of taking all sorts of medium sized game. If I had to choose one that meets that criteria it would have to be a Savage 99 in something like the venerable old .300 Savage cartridge.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

CowboyTutt wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:56 pm Curious about the custom BLR barrel. I'm betting it was on the earlier steel receiver design. The newer, aluminum receiver design, requires a bolt locking lug machined into the steel barrel. Getting the tolerances right for that is a real, serious head ache! You can actually get a really good trigger on a floating BLR trigger, but it takes a lot of work and experience. Mine is probably the best trigger I have. But its a pain and it does cost money. -Tutt
It is an old steel receiver, the guy picked it up at a gun show with a worn out barrel. Believe it was a .264 originally. Oops, just got corrected, it was a .270 Win. He knew the guy down in Sturtevant that worked at Badger, thought it would be an interesting project.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Old Savage wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:58 am Here is what it will do if you don’t mess with it and worry about it. And Tutt, send me a picture when you beat this :wink:
Now that's a group! My old Belgian BLR in .308 will get close to that. No pic since I let photobucket go.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Old Savage, I am assuming that target was with a scope off a rest??? I do have a new load I want to try in my 358 Win BLR using AR Comp that should get me another 1000 fps with a 250 grain bullet that I am excited to try. I will have to report back. I only have fiber optic iron sights on mine, but the front sight is smaller diameter (and discontinued) than what is currently used and pretty precise. -Tutt

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

My Marlin 336ER is a 1 MOA shooter with 180 gr Speer bullets at 2600 fps, and a trajectory of a 30-06. I would be very comfortable with that.
NRA Life Member
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

TedH wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:22 pm My Marlin 336ER is a 1 MOA shooter with 180 gr Speer bullets at 2600 fps, and a trajectory of a 30-06. I would be very comfortable with that.
what caliber? 356 ?
cable
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Tutt, that with a 4x scope rested across a gym bag. It was the only group I shot with that load. With iron sights the group was just under an inch. The rifle is a steel 81 BLR.

Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

338ME XLR or 356Win XLR.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

My problem is not a lack of accurate rifles, but a lack of good eyesight for target shooting.
I can plug a bison, deer, Nilgai, cape buff, but seeing a teeny little bull at 200 yards is not so easy. Also, none of my lever guns are scoped.

Another thing is that all my levers are hunting rifles and I have just got them properly sighted and then gone hunting. No more plinking or target shooting, just hunting.

I would actually like to see just how accurate my 1886 45-90 is at longer ranges but have never taken the time. I do know that if I can see it with the peep sight, I can kill it.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

OK Old Savage, I will strive for the same with iron sights!!!! Thank you! -Tutt

pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

It's scopes and red dots for me at 70+ years of age unfortunately.
I'd chuck the optical hardware in the garbage pail if I could get my 18 yr old eyes back again.
Without glasses I can barely see the gun let alone the sights.
It is what it is.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

hfcable wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:30 pm
TedH wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:22 pm My Marlin 336ER is a 1 MOA shooter with 180 gr Speer bullets at 2600 fps, and a trajectory of a 30-06. I would be very comfortable with that.
what caliber? 356 ?
Yes Sir, 356 Winchester.
NRA Life Member
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

TedH wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:16 pm
hfcable wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:30 pm
what caliber? 356 ?
Yes Sir, 356 Winchester.
i have the marlin in 356, really excellent ! took a moose with mine in 2020.
cable
Bryan Austin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bryan Austin »

Sometimes we all miss the point. Generally accuracy is only as good as the rifle AND ammunition. In this case it is the ammunition that has the edge, not necessarily the leveraction. Thus we need to find the best rifle that chambers said ammunition.

By far the .30 cal types (.3xx) are typically the best no matter what they are used in and have been since their inception, there are always exceptions!

Any time a Leveraction Competition (Old West Types) is mentioned, the ".3xx" cal guys are the first to feel left out whether it's a Savage 99, a Browning BLR or the like.

If I wanted a "tack driving" levergun at 200 yards, I would certainly start with one of those exotic types chambered in the .3xx calibers.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

My Marlin in 338 Marlin Express would work. Most accurate lever I have owned, beats the BLR 308 all to pieces.
I had Mic McPherson do some work on it, that helped, trigger is unbelievable, and this gun shoots really well.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Mic's work is exceptional and his triggers are the "gold standard", I would agree!!! I have 2 rifles accurized and slicked up by him, both one of a kind (Rossi Puma 454 and BLR 358 Win) done by him. Sadly, he has retired from gunsmithing and is dedicated to writing now, which he is also extremely good at. I don't think there is anyone in the country who knows a Marlin better than him. -Tutt

pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

As I recall a friend of mine shot some impressive groups at 100 yds with his Marlin 1895G Guide Gun and factory Hornady 45-70 325 grain FTX ammo last fall when we visited the range on our pre hunt sight in. They were around 2" (3 shot group) which is pretty good for a "blunderbuss" like the 1895G shooting factory ammo.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER