Replacing a Winchester 94 barrel

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JordanWilliams
Levergunner

Replacing a Winchester 94 barrel

Post by JordanWilliams »

I've recently rebuilding a 1920s era winchester 94, and I would like to replace the barrel on it as the one I had got for it is in really rough shape, with a pretty pitted/worn rifling, messy chamber, etc. Is there any options other than just trying to find a cast off barrel?
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Re: Replacing a Winchester 94 barrel

Post by wvfarrier »

Check with Regan Nonneman. He could probably advise you on where to look
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

Are you against the idea of having it rebored to a 38/55,32 special or even a 35-30?
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Reboring/relining might be an option.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

JES Reboring.... if you go that route. Stand up guy and quick turnaround.

It costs $250 plus shipping to him. He pays shipping back to you.
Last edited by 3leggedturtle on Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Carbine barrels are out there pretty common, relining a 94 is a no go . Relining is really only meant for pistol type low pressure or black powder rounds.
Carbine cannot be relined any way because liner od is larger than barrel od.

Green mountain makes tapered carbine and rifle style barrels but require all the machine work to complete.
There is a company IIRC Winchester Barrels that make complete repro barrels ready to install .Even have original type markings . $350 and up .

But if you consider ,chamber reamer,blank cost,labor even if you could do it yourself its not cheap.

I've got a 1892 SRC 44 that I need to mame, GM blank is $125 , reamer is $125 .Right out of the gate I have $275 counting shipping in a barrel I have to put lots of labor into to finish.

Reboring is $350 average cost and there is a chance the barrel will be destroyed during operation.

https://www.winchesterbarrels.com/
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

The OP said the barrel was bad, so the slim chance it gets ruined in the reboring process seems like an acceptable risk.
Reboring to .38-54, .32 WS, or .35-30 would only cost $250 plus one-way shipping, as stated above. It would preserve the original look of the rifle (except for the new chamber marking)
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

What if it is already a 38? His only option would be a rebarrel.
JordanWilliams
Levergunner

Post by JordanWilliams »

I'm not too hot on the idea of reboring it, I really like the 30-30. If I was to do this though 32 would be my choice, but if it would cause structural issues than it's a no go for me. I don't plan to do a whole lot of range toy use, I want to make this more of a short range hunting rifle. Plus, I'm in CA so cast lead sadly would only be for range usage. Which stinks because I love a gold hard cast lead load.

I do have access, for the next year and a half to a lathe and a school of instructors, along with a big discount on Shilen barrels, so contouring a blank and making one from a new barrel is an option as well.

My brass as is now comes out with what looks like acne on the case neck after being fired.
JordanWilliams
Levergunner

Post by JordanWilliams »

wvfarrier wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:20 am Check with Regan Nonneman. He could probably advise you on where to look
Would you have a good way to get ahold of him?
JordanWilliams
Levergunner

Post by JordanWilliams »

Pat C wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:34 am Carbine barrels are out there pretty common, relining a 94 is a no go . Relining is really only meant for pistol type low pressure or black powder rounds.
Carbine cannot be relined any way because liner od is larger than barrel od.

Green mountain makes tapered carbine and rifle style barrels but require all the machine work to complete.
There is a company IIRC Winchester Barrels that make complete repro barrels ready to install .Even have original type markings . $350 and up .

But if you consider ,chamber reamer,blank cost,labor even if you could do it yourself its not cheap.

I've got a 1892 SRC 44 that I need to mame, GM blank is $125 , reamer is $125 .Right out of the gate I have $275 counting shipping in a barrel I have to put lots of labor into to finish.

Reboring is $350 average cost and there is a chance the barrel will be destroyed during operation.

https://www.winchesterbarrels.com/
Yeah I've been finding a lot of ramp sight carbine barrels, I've been thinking about just using one of those. Would be a lot cheaper/easier.

I might be looking in the wrong spot, but I can't find any 30-30 barrels on Green Mountains website. The winchesterbarrels.com option is one I'm considering, even though a 94 30-30 barrel for a carbine starts at 22" and at 425 dollars.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Honestly if you have a rifle configuration the rebore is the best and most economical way to go. JES has a very good national reputation. You rifle would look the same except having a shiny new bore and a new chambering marking of course. If you have a carbine a replacement will work. Changing a rifle to carbine or vice versa requires new forestocks, barrel bands etc. you could check eBay for take off barrels. I have found all kinds of gun parts there.

If you have to hunt with leadless bullet, that’s a huge limitation with the likes of a 38-55. If it were me I would rebore to 38-55. You can always pick up a 30-30 to hunt with later.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

JordanWilliams wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:55 pm
wvfarrier wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:20 am Check with Regan Nonneman. He could probably advise you on where to look
https://www.leveractions.com/
JordanWilliams
Levergunner

Post by JordanWilliams »

44shooter wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:25 pm Honestly if you have a rifle configuration the rebore is the best and most economical way to go. JES has a very good national reputation. You rifle would look the same except having a shiny new bore and a new chambering marking of course. If you have a carbine a replacement will work. Changing a rifle to carbine or vice versa requires new forestocks, barrel bands etc. you could check eBay for take off barrels. I have found all kinds of gun parts there.

If you have to hunt with leadless bullet, that’s a huge limitation with the likes of a 38-55. If it were me I would rebore to 38-55. You can always pick up a 30-30 to hunt with later.
I have a 20" carbine, 1926 receiver and rest is parts I put together. I would like to find a really nice minty pre 1930s barrel with the pinned front sight, but all of those I have seen are in absolute stuff condition, just like mine lol.
JordanWilliams
Levergunner

Post by JordanWilliams »

JimT wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:28 pm
JordanWilliams wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:55 pm
https://www.leveractions.com/
I'll drop him a line, thanks!
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

There is one on eBay that has what sounds like a lot better bore than yours and is proper late style nickel steel SRC barrel with post. It does have a few tool marks on outside. $125 with shipping start bid two days left.
Might be an option.

JordanWilliams
Levergunner

Post by JordanWilliams »

Pat C wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:00 pm There is one on eBay that has what sounds like a lot better bore than yours and is proper late style nickel steel SRC barrel with post. It does have a few tool marks on outside. $125 with shipping start bid two days left.
Might be an option.

I did see that one, do you think the effed up chamber threads will be much of an issue?
When I get some more free cash I'm just going to buy one from winchesterbarrels.com, I spoke to the guy on the phone today and it sounds like 415 shipped would get me a brand new barrel.
JordanWilliams
Levergunner

Post by JordanWilliams »

Buying a quick replacement barrel isnt too much of a cash expenditure for me, I have one droopy pre 30s barrel, the one on my gun right now (which honestly for casual plinking I wouldn't be concerned about using, I'm just paranoid about using it for something that actually matters) and between the two I'm sure I could eek out 150 or so.

Maybe an SBR build (lol) with the drooping barrel. Jk
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Probably not be an issue other than appearance , easy to run thread file over start of shank. Something else I would also consider is to buy a high quality pre 64 ramp style barrel . The SRC post front sight can be made from the ramp.As the ramp is part of the barrel forging on earlier barrels. Recut the barrel band notch and fill the old one with solder and little touch up blue and you have an original WRA barrel with a better steel and excellent bore.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Here is anouther 1953 30WCF barrel ,already cut to 16 1/4 to remove ramp . You can silver solder post type front sight and shorten mag tube and make a nice trapper for $70 buy it now. Excellent bore and finish.

Gunbroker. #912228606
JordanWilliams
Levergunner

Post by JordanWilliams »

Pat C wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:28 pm Probably not be an issue other than appearance , easy to run thread file over start of shank. Something else I would also consider is to buy a high quality pre 64 ramp style barrel . The SRC post front sight can be made from the ramp.As the ramp is part of the barrel forging on earlier barrels. Recut the barrel band notch and fill the old one with solder and little touch up blue and you have an original WRA barrel with a better steel and excellent bore.
Would a post 64 barrel fit in the receiver? Whichever barrel I buy now will only be used for the rest of the current bear season, until I pick up winchesterbarrels.com barrel.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

If it were me and I just wanted a temporary shooter ,I would grab that $70. 16 1/4" GB barrel .Make and add the post sight ,get a repo mag tube for trapper and build a correct looking trapper carbine. Keep your full length tube for the replacement barrel later.
JordanWilliams
Levergunner

Post by JordanWilliams »

Pat C wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:08 pm If it were me and I just wanted a temporary shooter ,I would grab that $70. 16 1/4" GB barrel .Make and add the post sight ,get a repo mag tube for trapper and build a correct looking trapper carbine. Keep your full length tube for the replacement barrel later.
I'm new to 94 terminology, GB barrel?
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Gunbroker
JordanWilliams
Levergunner

Post by JordanWilliams »

Pat C wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:34 pmGunbroker
Shoulda guessed that one lol. I do like the idea of a short 94, maybe even make up a shortened magazine tube for it for accuracy purposes.
JordanWilliams
Levergunner

Post by JordanWilliams »

I also had someone offer me a basically mint post 64 20" barrel, will this fit alright into my pre war receiver? I can't imagine the receiver to barrel mating would hVe changed a whole lot but I dont know enough.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Winchester Lever Action Repeating Firearms, Vol. 3, The Models of 1894 and 1895 https://www.amazon.com/dp/188239111X/re ... DVHNVX00ZA

This will answer a lot of your questions. A good investment for any 94 accumulator.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
JordanWilliams
Levergunner

Post by JordanWilliams »

vancelw wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:12 pm Winchester Lever Action Repeating Firearms, Vol. 3, The Models of 1894 and 1895 https://www.amazon.com/dp/188239111X/re ... DVHNVX00ZA

This will answer a lot of your questions. A good investment for any 94 accumulator.
I'll consider that book, its not as expensive as I thought it would be.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Yes, the early and later top eject barrel threads match up fine.

I had a small post type early carbine sight made for a late pre-64 carbine, I never really cared for the ramp front sights. I moved the front band up where it should be on an early type and got a proper looking long wood forend. Very happy with the result. Shouldnt present any real problems to do similar to a older receiver gun, just that the barrel markings are a little different. Gun returned to the factory for rebarreling ended up having markings from a different period, its just what they had available, so they used them.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Malamute wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:55 pm Yes, the early and later top eject barrel threads match up fine.

I had a small post type early carbine sight made for a late pre-64 carbine, I never really cared for the ramp front sights. I moved the front band up where it should be on an early type and got a proper looking long wood forend. Very happy with the result. Shouldnt present any real problems to do similar to a older receiver gun, just that the barrel markings are a little different. Gun returned to the factory for rebarreling ended up having markings from a different period, its just what they had available, so they used them.
My thoughts exactly, the OP could by the $70 gunbroker barrel which has already been cut to 16 1/4" .Perfect for a trapper carbine easy enough to do as you did by making post and proper mag tube placement.
Trapper is perfect for bear hunting.