The Ruger New Model Grip

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

The Ruger New Model Grip

Post by Sarge »

I mentioned in another thread that I have never particularly cared for Ruger's basic New Model grip frame. Apparently I'm not the only one.

One thing I did try that helped quite a bit was Texas Grips extended grip for Rugers. More in the link below the pic, if anyone's interested.

https://www.thesixgunjournal.net/texas- ... ver-grips/
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Ruger New Model Grip

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I have a number of extended grips (in Mesquite of course) from him. They seem to help.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

That looks really sharp!

My favorite single-action grip is the 1860 Army. Just fits my hands better than any other.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Ysabel Kid wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:08 am That looks really sharp!

My favorite single-action grip is the 1860 Army. Just fits my hands better than any other.
I'm the same way. Nothing fits my hands better. I have a Uberti .44 Magnum with an 1860 Army grip on it and it feels just right. I cut the sights for the .44 Special Skeeter load and it is a really comfortable gun that a man could shoot all day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Oh, that is SWEET! :mrgreen:
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Shoots really good too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Agree 100% on the 1860 grip, which has about ruined me for anything else. My old IJ Cattleman weighs less that a 5 1/2" Vaquero but is far more comfortable with magnum loads. I do have to tuck my little finger under the grip to keep my knuckle from getting whacked with 240s at 1425, but 44-40 level loads are fine with a normal grip. Six 240 grain Winchester mag JSP, 100 yards. Right and low fliers were definitely my fault.

I shot the 480 in a 5" Raging Bull a few times using a 405 at around 1100. I really like the cartridge. If/when I succumb to temptation, that one will be a Bisley.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks for the link! I will have to give those a try when ( or if) I get the SBH back from my dad. The old man's a funny guy, he used to shoot .38 Specials and .45 ACPs almost exclusively, with some military cartridges mixed in, but he and his shooting buddies in FL started buying .357 magnums a few years ago and now want to play with the .44s. He used to poo poo anything magnum and now in his '80s he's bought several Troopers and a Python. Now he wants one of the new Anacondas. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

I've got one of the Lipsey's 45 Flattop convertibles, which have a steel version of the OM frame. Great gun but a bit hefty with the steel frame. I decided to try an aluminum NM frame just too lighten it up a bit. The serious load I'd settled on, 45-270-SAA over HS6, was distinctly less pleasant than with the OM-dimensioned frame.

While I had that swapped out I put the steel frame on a 4 5/8" Single Six. That really made the .22 into a sweet handling little thing. I swapped the steel back onto the Flattop but someday when I'm feeling flush I may get a Ronnie Wells XR3 for the .22.

I do have round-butted NM frame. On a .44 mag it was okay with medium loads but definitely not okay at full throttle. Tried it on the 45 Flattop one day shooting ACP's and it was kinda nice. Again, another case where it would be fun to play the Wells grip frames.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I wish I could have an 1860 grip on a 6.5 inch Ruger 3 screw.357. That would balance it out nicely.
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

That would probably look pretty good too - 'looks good, feels good". I end up with a lot of "looks bad, feels good", but it's better than looks bad, feels bad. 😁
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I treated myself to a set of texasgrips spalted maple extended grips for my old army.
They are breathtaking in both appearance and price :D
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Wow, very nice!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Wow!
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:20 pm I wish I could have an 1860 grip on a 6.5 inch Ruger 3 screw.357. That would balance it out nicely.
I believe Ronnie Wells can fix you up. https://gunblast.com/Fermin-RonnieWells.htm
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

The only "new" Ruger grip I care for is the Bisley grip. Growing up on Colt single actions, all the other grips feel kinda weird. I can shoot them OK but not comfortably. My personal preference is the Colt and original Ruger XR-3 grip ... and then the Bisley. For hard recoiling pistols, the Bisley is excellent.

I don't care for the New Model Ruger action either. The trigger sets a long ways ahead in the trigger guard, almost like a double action sixgun. I had Gary Reeder install his "set-back" trigger in the only New Model I have. The trigger stays back at the rear of the trigger guard like it is supposed to.
1.JPG
I know the New Model action is safer and that you can load 6 rounds in the pistol, but I just personally don't care for it. The "set-back" trigger makes it feel totally different.

Again, this is all my personal preference and no one need agree with me. :D
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Thanks for the heads-up on the Reeder trigger, Jim.