Uberti 1886 Hunter Lite Rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Uberti 1886 Hunter Lite Rifle

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

A friend is asking about these. The photos are gorgeous.

Does anyone here have one?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Uberti 1886 Hunter Lite Rifle

Post by marlinman93 »

Never seen one, nor did I know Uberti made an 1886 that beautiful?
I went to their site and they have a 22"barreled as you pictured, or a longer 25" octagon barrel with full mag tube. Be tough for me to choose one over the other! Both are very nice rifles, and even at $2200 and $2500 i think a real bargain compared to what an original 1886 Deluxe would set you back!

https://www.uberti-usa.com/1886-sporting-rifle
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

If the quality is there, I agree! I've never seen one in person though.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

There's about half a dozen listed on gunbroker. Pretty rifles.

Can't have enough 45-70s!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

I was just eyeballing those a couple weeks ago, seems an attractive alternative to a genuine 1886EL. I had an original '86 in 45-90 that had been cut down to Short Rifle configuration at some point. It handled nice but was quite the flamethrower with BP loads.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

2ndovc wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:30 pm There's about half a dozen listed on gunbroker. Pretty rifles.

jb 8)
Well now I'm a bit concerned. The ones listed on GB that show actual pictures all have much lesser quality stock wood. And the others appear to be using the image Uberti uses on their web site. So can't help but wonder if you bought one would you get that gorgeous wood Uberti shows, or the crummy plain wood some auctions show? I wouldn't pay that kind of money for plain wood.

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Ke ... te&Sort=13
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

marlinman93 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:11 pm
2ndovc wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:30 pm There's about half a dozen listed on gunbroker. Pretty rifles.

jb 8)
Well now I'm a bit concerned. The ones listed on GB that show actual pictures all have much lesser quality stock wood. And the others appear to be using the image Uberti uses on their web site. So can't help but wonder if you bought one would you get that gorgeous wood Uberti shows, or the crummy plain wood some auctions show? I wouldn't pay that kind of money for plain wood.

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Ke ... te&Sort=13
I agree with you there.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

I believe those are Pedersoli rifles. Uberti does not catalog an 1886 (but they do have an 1894). Uberti-USA is an importer, but I don't think they are owned by Uberti of Italy.

Uberti, Pedersoli, and Berreta are all in the same town in Italy.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

KWK wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:09 am I believe those are Pedersoli rifles. Uberti does not catalog an 1886 (but they do have an 1894). Uberti-USA is an importer, but I don't think they are owned by Uberti of Italy.

Look at this link . That doesn’t say Pedersoli . https://www.uberti-usa.com/1886-sporting-rifle
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Uberti web site says....A-grade Walnut...not sure what A-grade is.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

6pt-sika wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:24 am
KWK wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:09 am I believe those are Pedersoli rifles. Uberti does not catalog an 1886 (but they do have an 1894). Uberti-USA is an importer, but I don't think they are owned by Uberti of Italy.

Look at this link . That doesn’t say Pedersoli . https://www.uberti-usa.com/1886-sporting-rifle
Nor does it say it is an Uberti:
Uberti USA is proud to introduce…
and if you go to the “Legal” tab it says they are Stoeger Industries. Over on the “Contact” tab it explains:
All questions related to Uberti products not imported by Stoeger should be directed to the appropriate Uberti importer.
Study the grain in the butt stock of the photos on the Pedersoli and Ubert-USA sites, and I think you’ll conclude they are of the same rifle.

That said, I'll note the Wikipedia says both Stoeger and Uberti are owned by the Beretta Group and Pedersoli is not. :? I'll hazard the guess that Stoeger was importing Pedersoli firearms before they were acquired by the Beretta Group.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Looking at both Uberti and Pedersoli web sites the pictures do seem to be identical images. I have no idea which company makes both, and don't much care. Both seem to be the same gun, and both are Italian Imports. My main concern would still be if I got the gun both companies showed in their images, or something in lesser quality wood and metal fit and finish. I think I'd either want to see pictures of the exact gun they're sending me, or handle one in person.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

While the metal work on Uberti rifles isn't the best, they do offer from the factory wood upgrades as well as hand engraving. The photos I've seen suggest they generally do a nice job with the wood upgrade, and the engraving's not bad either.

I was at Taylor's the other day. You look at a row of '66 and '73 rifles and notice the carriers don't all sit the same, with some above the bottom of the receiver, some below, and some right on. There were also some screw holes that were oval at the surface, and the levers all seems to wobble laterally. It makes it very difficult to order a rifle with the upgrades, knowing you might get such in the metal work. :(

I think there have been improvements at Uberti over the years. The wee rolling block in .357 definitely had a tighter lock up than the used ones I've handled at gun shows. The balance of their 30" Low Wall in .45 was an absolute delight, and the action was smooth. If Uberti gave as much attention to the metal work as other makers, they'd be my favorite by far.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I read somewhere that both Uberti and Pedersoli use the local engraving school students to do the engraved rifles they sell. I assume advanced students, and most likely with a Master Engraver Instructor overseeing their work.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

You'd think that Winchester could make money doing their own guns but apparently not ... even they have to go offshore for manufacturing. Yet, companies like UFSA seemed to do well making classics in the USA. Of course, USFA died of stupidity ... not lack of a market for their SAA's. People still pay a lot for that USA built quality ... looking at USFA guns online.

That '86 certainly looks good in the pictures for the price.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.