Need some load advice

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Need some load advice

Post by wvfarrier »

First, I have several reloading books including the Lyman Cast Bullet manual but cannot find the load data I need.

The bullet is a 185 grain LWSC-HP sized .430 with a brinell of 12. Im looking to load them in 44 special but cannot find any data for a 185. I was hoping to use Unique but I have H110, Longshot, Lil Gun, 2400, and Sport Pistol.

So, does anyone have an ESTABLISHED starting load?
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Need some load advice

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Im seeing anywhere from 6-13grs Unique for 180gr cast or jacketed.
I thought you were shooting in 44 mag pistol. Thats why you need to double everything you read and hear. Todd/3leg
Last edited by 3leggedturtle on Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

From the Lyman manual 50th Edition
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

I saw that but the 180 loads are for jacketed
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

wvfarrier wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:17 pm I saw that but the 180 loads are for jacketed
I think the point is that both sets of data would be safe for use with your 185 cast bullets, so it gives you a lot of data to start with.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Hornady lists their 180 lead FP with Unique 5.5-8.0 grains. 700-950 fps. Their 180 XTP stops at 7.5 for 900. This is in a 3" Bulldog. I would be very comfortable with 7-8 grains with your bullet in most any 44SP. I intend to load about 6 grains of Unique under soft 240s. Nothing fancy just a factory equivalent load.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Not sure what Longshot is but the others you listed (that you have) are too slow for a light cast bullet, especially in cold weather. You will get wide variations in velocity and depending on the load and the weather you could get squibs......speaking from experience and testing......

I wouldn't use nothing slower than Unique or close to it.....----006
Model A Uzi’s
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Hodgdon website shows 5.5 grains of Titegroup.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I don't know why but I rarely hear people using Bullseye on this board. 6 grains of Bullseye with any grain bullet or 7 grains of 231 is the cats meow. My all time regular load is 6 of Bullseye or 7 of 231 with any gr. bullet in the 44 Spl, mag, 38-40,44-40 or the 45 Long Colt.

K.I.S.S.----006
Model A Uzi’s
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

I havent seen Bullseye, Red Dot or titegroup on store shelf in over a year 🤷‍♂️
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Sixgun wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:46 pm I don't know why but I rarely hear people using Bullseye on this board. 6 grains of Bullseye with any grain bullet or 7 grains of 231 is the cats meow. My all time regular load is 6 of Bullseye or 7 of 231 with any gr. bullet in the 44 Spl, mag, 38-40,44-40 or the 45 Long Colt.

K.I.S.S.----006
Bullseye is an antiquated powder only used by old f.a.r.t.s. who don't keep up with the latest and greatest powders.
For instance, my main stock of powder is:
Bullseye
Unique
With these I can load most everything from .22 caliber to .45 caliber
Thank You Jesus!.jpg
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

JimT wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:22 am
Bullseye is an antiquated powder only used by old f.a.r.t.s. who don't keep up with the latest and greatest powders.
Bullseye
Unique
Jim,
That is precisely why I'm strongly disliked on the board.....about the same as Terry ......me, you, Terry....KNOWS what works and works well.....we also understand about capitalism and how people are greedy and they ALL want a slice of the pie so the marketing gurus tell them that reloading is on the rise so anyone with 20 mil in the stock market can start up their own powder company and sell ice to the Eskimo's.

It's just that I'm more vocal and opinionated than you......you have finesse.....I'm a redneck and don't give a s what others think.

If absolute necessity required it, I could load ANYTHING with cast bullets and Unique and kill a buffalo 300 meters away.

The only real advance I've seen in powders since WW2 is the slower ones for the big magnums.....and 5744.......I'm not even a fan of ball powders except for their metering qualities and even then, by using stick powders you and I both know a 1/2 grain difference in any case that uses more the 30 grains is only going to result in 1" up or down at 300 meters.

Yea.....Terry is gone.....he was GREAT.....we were occasional phone buddies and we understood each other...I don't try to convince others anymore....let em learn on their own.------006......(double O Six...secret agent who can't tell his wife where he is) we had a member who said that and I called him on it.

The powder companies claim reduced fouling, position sensitivity, temperature insensitive powders, blah, blah....
Model A Uzi’s
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

I created some test loads that I hope to.try over the next few days.

Started at 7 grains and increased to 8.2 grains of.unique in increments of 2. Ill chrono and see what shakes out.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

wvfarrier wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:17 pm I saw that but the 180 loads are for jacketed
That's true. But the jacketed bullets are harder to push down the barrel than the same weight bullet that is cast and lubricated. These will be safe to experiment with.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

JimT wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:22 am
Bullseye
Unique
Thank You Jesus!.jpg
I'm pretty much the same way. The vast majority of the revolver rounds I shoot are loaded with Unique. My favorite .45 ACP load is a 200 gr H&G 68 propelled by charge of Bullseye.

I even have a bunch of .50-70 cartridges loaded with Unique for my Sharps but I haven't seemed to have had time to go out and play with it.