Still having trouble shooting the Redhawk--RESOLVED!!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Still having trouble shooting the Redhawk--RESOLVED!!!

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I love the way a Redhawk looks and I love the way it feels in my hand, but I have to tell you that I have never been able to shoot one well.

This is certainly true of the one I am messing with now. There's nothing wrong with it mechanically. I has a very smooth bore and I'm getting no leading.

But I simply do not shoot it as well as a SAA or something along those lines. I want to, but it simply doesn't work out. I've been dry firing the heck out of it, but my groups at 25 yards are simply not acceptable.

Any tips from those who do shoot these guns well?
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Still having trouble shooting the Redhawk

Post by samsi »

Are you gripping the piece with a "heel index" as with a single action (plowhandle) grip?

For me, I find that a heel index doesn't work well with the Redhawk, too much inconsistency shot to shot. It's a large gun with the thrust/bore line high above the grip, more so than an N frame. I have the Pachs on mine and go with a full palm high grip like I'm shooting a 1911. I'm only getting away with it on the Redhawk because of the full backstrap coverage of the Pachmayrs.

I pretty much cut my teeth on a 1911, so when I started shooting revolvers extensively I just adapted my 1911 hold to everything else. Now, a combination of arthritis and plain old wear and tear has me shooting most any hard kicker with a heel index - I had to learn how to hold a revolver all over again. Exception to the rule is that the Redhawk doesn't like being held like that. My big epiphany during my grip/hold experiments is that the Ruger Bisley doesn't care how you hold it. I sure like Bisleys these days.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

If it's shooting poorly from a well supported bench rest, it might be the shooter and not you??
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Blaine wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:57 pm If it's shooting poorly from a well supported bench rest, it might be the shooter and not you??
I don't have, nor have I ever used a bench rest for a pistol or revolver. I don't even use them for my rifles.

What I am seeing is inconsistency. I will put a couple of rounds where I want them, and then I will inexplicably shoot the next round right off the plate!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

samsi wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:11 pm Are you gripping the piece with a "heel index" as with a single action (plowhandle) grip?

For me, I find that a heel index doesn't work well with the Redhawk, too much inconsistency shot to shot. It's a large gun with the thrust/bore line high above the grip, more so than an N frame. I have the Pachs on mine and go with a full palm high grip like I'm shooting a 1911. I'm only getting away with it on the Redhawk because of the full backstrap coverage of the Pachmayrs.

I pretty much cut my teeth on a 1911, so when I started shooting revolvers extensively I just adapted my 1911 hold to everything else. Now, a combination of arthritis and plain old wear and tear has me shooting most any hard kicker with a heel index - I had to learn how to hold a revolver all over again. Exception to the rule is that the Redhawk doesn't like being held like that. My big epiphany during my grip/hold experiments is that the Ruger Bisley doesn't care how you hold it. I sure like Bisleys these days.
Hmm? I think I have a set of Hogues around here somewhere. Thanks for the tip, I may just see if that helps.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Let’s try this. Edited to say: I ran out to the ranch and the Hogues did not seem to cause any improvement. I’m fact my Glock 43 was grouping much better at 25 yards than the Redhawk…and that little gun is not terribly easy to shoot well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Scott,
What caliber is the Red Hawk? 45/454 Casull?
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

.44 magnum

Resting the barrel on a 2x4 it shoots a little better.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

I used Hogues on the RH back in the 90's, and I think that I picked them up after initially thinking that the Pachmayrs were too large. They were okay, though a little on the narrow side for me. After those I used Butler Creeks before going full circle back to the Pachmayrs.

I was at Gary Reeder's last summer and there was a set of Redhawk Pachs in the used grip box on the floor. If they're still there the postage would probably be about the same as the cost of the grips (I.e. not a lot).
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Hi Scott, I hope that Hogue rubber grip works out for you. It might. You got me into a virtual study of grip frames tonight. And a study of the few I have actually shot.
I would put the Ruger Bisley and the Freedom Arms Model '83 at the top of my list. They are both outstanding but I would give the nod to the FA gun, because it has a more
upswept hammer that doesn't bite your thumb as much as the Ruger Bisley hammer does. I could see how that piece of metal on the top rear backstrap of the RedHawk
offers some substantial recoil bite potentially. It would not be fun. The next best grip frame after the Bisley and FA would be the S&W X-Frame one with rubber grips IMHO. Sorry, working on how to get the pics to post! -A-

"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

After owning several Redhawks, my opinion is they have two deficiencies that make them substantially harder to shoot well, in unsupported shooting, than a S&W DA or good SA revolver.

The first is excessive single action sear engagement. You have to pull the trigger farther, to release the hammer, than you would on a Model 29. The second is lots of overtravel after the SA trigger breaks. The Redhawk trigger just sort of wanders around aimlessly until it clanks into the frame, while you're trying to maintain your grip and sight picture for the follow-through.

These things can be fixed of course.

If you can find a discontinued set of Butler Creek grips for the Redhawk, I suggest giving them a try.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

So much of it depends on the shape of your hand and the length and width of your fingers. I have a really hard time shooting single action revolvers because my fingers are long enough that the knuckles wind up just behind the trigger guard. The bisley grip gets around that however.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Interesting comparisons. For some silly reason I've always thought of Ruger's Bisley hammer more comfortable to "work".
A Freedom Arms revolver will always be on my wish list.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I tried the Hogues and saw no difference. So I dug deep and found these. Dry firing they feel more solid in my hand. Won’t know till I get back out to the ranch.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Scott, Marshall Stanton has a great article on tuning up revolvers. He hones the bore with soft lead bullets and grit, and he custom fits the cylinders to his bullets. He shows before and after photos on his web site. beartoothebullets.com he has his redhawk putting bullets in a quarter size space

I'm going to do mine after I send it to Ruger for the trigger adjustment that some of the older ones need.

something else that I plan to do is slow-motion record dry firing to get an idea of how my let off is moving the front sight.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I'm mystified: when I have hold of my Redhawk it makes me look like a better shot than I am. And a great-grandkid and his buddy just used it in very impressive fashion this afternoon against a bevy of hard-sided tin cans. Ya' just grab hold of it and aim keerful and it just hits things is all I know about it.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:42 pm .44 magnum

So...first time? Helps narrow it down, eh?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Blaine wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:04 am
Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:42 pm .44 magnum

So...first time? Helps narrow it down, eh?
It means that it isn’t the gun or my loads. It’s something about how I’m performing.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

earlmck wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:45 am I'm mystified: when I have hold of my Redhawk it makes me look like a better shot than I am. And a great-grandkid and his buddy just used it in very impressive fashion this afternoon against a bevy of hard-sided tin cans. Ya' just grab hold of it and aim keerful and it just hits things is all I know about it.

Which is why I tell folks "there's no one size fits all" when it comes to guns. What works great for one may not work at all for another. I have ONE Bisely gripped sixgun and it raps my knuckle every time I shoot it. Don't have that problem with my bird's head grip frame or the regular Ruger grip frame. Each hand is different.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

At 66 the rear sight gets out of focus & my arms shake a bit, it does not matter what gun i shoot, from
22 thru 454 & i shoot the Ruger Alaskan 454 alot, mostly with Ruger only 45 Colt loads, i do tame it down
some times with 200 or 255 gr. cast bullets for a normal 45 load, one thing that has helped me
is a 8 - 10 inch bulls eye, for me its the age thing, no longer can i plink a can & keep it jumping around

Brad
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Back when Lincoln was president I got me a RedHawk! The darn thing banged my knuckle behind the trigger guard something fierce, I mean after a cylinder of mags the knuckle was about trashed.
I got these http://prntscr.com/1zpqql2 on it and man what a difference. No more pain and I swear the recoil felt lessened.

Looks like the last one you showed.
download/file.php?id=27638&mode=view

Back when I practiced I could hit for flip a clay bird on the berm behind the 50 yd stands 5 out of 6 regularly. Single action slow fire.

Oh yeah the barrel length is 7 1/2 "
Good luck''

John
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The Pachmayrs are great but I almost couldn't see them in the screenshot - http://prntscr.com/1zpqql2 - all I saw was sunglasses and a confederate flag.... :o :lol:
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:32 pm I tried the Hogues and saw no difference. So I dug deep and found these. Dry firing they feel more solid in my hand. Won’t know till I get back out to the ranch.
That's the ticket. Hope they work out as well for you as they do for me.
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

The Pachmayrs are great but I almost couldn't see them in the screenshot - http://prntscr.com/1zpqql2 - all I saw was sunglasses and a confederate flag....
You must have a different browser than I have :mrgreen:
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Pachmar grips solved the problem. Just fired several cylinders into a fist sized group.

Thank you all for your input!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:25 pm Pachmar grips solved the problem. Just fired several cylinders into a fist sized group.

Thank you all for your input!
I love it when a plan comes together. :D It's amazing how much difference a properly fitted grip can make.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Bronco wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:11 pm
The Pachmayrs are great but I almost couldn't see them in the screenshot - http://prntscr.com/1zpqql2 - all I saw was sunglasses and a confederate flag....
You must have a different browser than I have :mrgreen:
LOL the pop-up ad must have changed.... it was an ad involving a pic of a chick in a TINY confederate flag outfit... :shock:

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Still having trouble shooting the Redhawk--RESOLVED!!!

Post by Rusty »

I have a 4" .44 that my wife got me for Christmas several years ago. Mine fits me rather well but my son, not so much. For my son the distance between the backstrap and the trigger is too far. It doesn't seem to mater for my large hands.
Veral Smith of LBT molds says many Rugers can benefit from fire lapping the bores. You might consider that.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.