"Period Style" Cartridge Boxes

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Swagman
Levergunner 1.0

"Period Style" Cartridge Boxes

Post by Swagman »

Due to the Covid-19 lockdown that was imposed on us in NSW I have not been able to attend my club range since June (Thankfully almost all restrictions have been lifted and our club day is Nov 14!!). Since I could not do any shooting I decided to catch up on some blackpowder reloading for my 44/40 and 45/70 and after looking at my cartridges in their plastic boxes I thought how much better they would look in "period Style" boxes. I had found lots of images of original cartridge boxes but I just could not seem to create any labels, I was trying to use Microsoft publisher and almost ended up throwing my laptop out the window. However, I am fairly handy with Excel so I tried to create labels on a Excel spreadsheet and Eureka!

The 45/70 boxes are actually old Winchester unprimed brass boxes that I had lying around, the 44/40 box I made from scratch out of cardboard, now come Sunday I can finally do some serious shooting with my Marlin M1895 Cowboy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: "Period Style" Cartridge Boxes

Post by gamekeeper »

Excellent. I first saw period cartridge boxes and labels at an American Civil War re enactment. Old time stuff looks so much cooler than the modern plastic and making it becomes another hobby/skill too.... 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Swagman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Swagman »

Thanks mate, it was very satisfying when I finally finished the boxes and filled them with cartridges.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Very nice work !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

You did a fine job, Swagman. Especially love your .44WCF box. 8)
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Well done!

I like the vintage string added too. :wink: The Ysabel Kid (Jay) would be proud, as he's made these before too.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I'm quite fond of my MTM cartridge boxes since they figured out how to make a decent hinge. But those surely do have a vastly greater "cool factor" than my green plastic ones. Good job Swagman!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

That ia great! Funny, I just posted on my .450 Adams thread that I was looking forward to the pictures and lo and behold, here they are! :D

I did all of mine in Excel as well. MUCH easier than any other software at my disposal.

Great job!!!
Swagman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Swagman »

Thanks to you all for your kind comments.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Swagman wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:58 pm Thanks to you all for your kind comments.
So, where does the "G&W Butt Metallic Cartridge Company" come from?

BTW, good chance the software changes one of the words above! :wink:
Swagman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Swagman »

It actually comes from my family name, plus mine & my wife's initials, originally English, 184 years in NSW. I thought that Metallic Cartridge Company sounded cool!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

earlmck wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:00 pm I'm quite fond of my MTM cartridge boxes since they figured out how to make a decent hinge. But those surely do have a vastly greater "cool factor" than my green plastic ones. Good job Swagman!
Good morning. How did you make the hinges?
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Swagman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Swagman »

Hi Tycer,
Not sure if you are asking me about the boxes I Made? If so, the 45/70 box is actually a Winchester unprimed bass box that I covered with labels. The 44/40 box I made from medium thickness cardboard, it has a top "lid" that fits over the bottom, I have attached a photo of one of my prototypes made out of thin card to give you an idea.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Tycer wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:15 am
earlmck wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:00 pm I'm quite fond of my MTM cartridge boxes since they figured out how to make a decent hinge. But those surely do have a vastly greater "cool factor" than my green plastic ones. Good job Swagman!
Good morning. How did you make the hinges?
I didn't make any hinges, Tycer; MTM improved their design. I was not fond of the old MTM boxes with the solid bendable hinges that wouldn't stay fully open when you flopped the lid back. Since they came out with their new model hinges that stay open for the easy dropping in of fired brass... I'm ready to nominate them as "best product improvement of the year" except that it has been several years now since they made the change. Their design improvement made them money at my house: I tossed the old obnoxious style and replaced them all with the new. Plus purchased many additional ones.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

For some reason I can't resize the freaking photos to post them! :evil:

Will keep trying.... :oops: